Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most embarrasing gaming moments?

pippin

I'm playing Ultima III these days and wondering what the fuck I am doing with my life.

4 am all day, every day

hqdefault.jpg

DraQ

Arcane
Selling a 15 years in the making collection of original boxed games including gems like Darklands, Fallout, Monkey Island II, Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, Sam and Max, Torment: Planescape, Ultima 7, Buck Rogers: Countdown for Doomsday and countless more for mere scrap. Because I didn't have the room and could use the drinking money. Fucking asshole that I was.
:fortressofregrets:

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I almost cried during the ending of Fallout.

I re-played the same stage in FE7 about 23 times, because I kept dying.

I finished Persona 4 Golden in the matter of a week.

I bought Oblivion, didn't like it, and bought Skyrim a couple of years later. To this day I'm not quite sure why.

I spent over $300 on steam alone.

Blonsky

Prophet
During the WoW hype i believed that multiplayer games are the future of gaming and that single player games are going to die out.

Trying to complete the last temple level of Dong Country Returns with just Donkey. Just could not do it because I'm bad at waggling and hand eye coordination. For some reason I thought one couldn't use Diddy on that level. I must have bought at least 180 lives/new guys and really understood why the wii controller has that band that is tightened around the wrist.

I later found out(looked on youtube) that Diddy is actually usable on that level after all.

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
When playing Shadowbane back in 2003, I was responsible for designing our guild city. Another 'council member' strongly wanted to contribute, and I was persuaded to delegate wall construction to him. He fucked it up by placing all the wall sections inside-out, so that our enemies could access the walls from outside and shoot down on us inside the city (as though it was a prison). The city became the laughing stock of the server, and 'everyone' thought I was responsible.

:x

Direwolf

Arcane
When playing Wolfenstein on my dad's office 286. Couldn't get out of the 1st room as i didn't know how to open the door. Didn't know that there was such thing as options or even tried to use the spacebar.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
When I was a kid,I wasn't able to progress/finish Super Metroid because I had no idea it was possible to dash/run, and so didn't get past that crumbling bridge in brinstar until several months after getting the game. Another similar moment was getting half-way into RE4 before realizing it was possible to run.

:negative:

Melan

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! I helped put crap in Monomyth
When me and a friend of mine first found CRPGs (the Eye of the Beholder series), we didn't figure out how to attack enemies because right-clicking on an icon was beyond us. He discovered we could do a tiny little amount of damage by throwing items at enemies, so that's how we played it.

Sizzle

Arcane
Played Evil Islands: Curse of the Lost Soul when I was a kid, and, for some reason (even though I played RPGs before) couldn't figure out I could level-up.

So, I gruelingly abused the save game feature to score repeated crits against enemies for the first couple of hours. When that wasn't enough anymore, I cheated through the rest of the game.

I only realized this after again playing the game a couple of years back, and wondering why on Earth I ever had that hard of a time with it in the first place.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
When playing Wolfenstein on my dad's office 286. Couldn't get out of the 1st room as i didn't know how to open the door. Didn't know that there was such thing as options or even tried to use the spacebar.

I had the same problem with Aliens on my Amstrad back when I was 8 years old.

Ironically the solution (pressing the Space Bar) is the same.

Selling a 15 years in the making collection of original boxed games including gems like Darklands, Fallout, Monkey Island II, Dark Sun: Shattered Lands, Sam and Max, Torment: Planescape, Ultima 7, Buck Rogers: Countdown for Doomsday and countless more for mere scrap. Because I didn't have the room and could use the drinking money. Fucking asshole that I was.
:fortressofregrets:

A few months ago I either sold or threw away over 100 PC games, most of them in their original packaging. Only got a fraction of their value. No regrets.

Earlier this month I sold off 90% of my Amstrad CPC game collection, for about 50% of their total value. No regrets whatsoever.

Earlier this month I also gave away a large cardboard box full of boxed PC games. No regrets at all.

I'm planning to sell off a good chunk of my boxed PC collection later this year. I doubt I'll regret that either.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
After having spent ages wandering around Arkngthand, I gave up and Googled where that fucking Dwemer Puzzle Box was.

At least I found Caius Cosades...

DoomIhlVaria

Cipher
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here I'm very into cock and ball torture
There was a guy I was in a guild with in Ultima Online. It was mostly a PvP-oriented guild called D*C on Atlantic. Anyway, every time we would kill a bunch of players, there was this one guy who would almost always go hidden so that he could be AFK for a while. Plenty of people go AFK a lot in MMOs, mostly smokers or folks with tiny bladders. But this guy only ever did it after we had made some kills. There was a definite pattern to it. So I asked him about it. And then he explained that he found that killing other players almost always gave him an erection. So he got in the habit of, uh, taking care of the problem. And he further explained that after the first few months he could no longer get an erection any other way. So he then felt obligated to always take advantage of that situation because he was worried that even the stimulus of player killing may one day lose its effect. I was like 13 at the time and this guy's problem really blew my mind. I couldn't even respond.

I always wonder what happened to that guy and his problem. I left the guild when Ultima Online started imposing stat loss penalties on murderers. Did he find another game? Does he continue to participate in Ultima Online's now-limited PvP to this day? Has he just given it all up and suffered from erectile dysfunction for the last 15 years?

Eirikur

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Being excited about a new King's Quest game (7), starting it up together with a buddy, and being subjected to this:

:codexisfor:

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I recall another weird thing I did when I was a kid. I used to LARP flight sims (early 1990s DOS) with my brother. We shared the controls, I was flying the ariplane/helicopter with the joystick and he was handling the keyboard controls. We talked to each other using something that we thought resembled "military speak" trying to sound serious and acted like cocky fighter pilots (egdy one liners etc.). I also took the mouse like it was a radio (like the type they use in cop cars, yeah I know...) and talked to it to communicate with base. "Spotted bandits 12 o'clock what are your instuctions?" (...) "Roger that, engaging targets XDDD" etc. (also made that "bzzzzttt" radio sound with my mouth) It must have looked retarded but it was a lot of fun.

I feel ashamed of how many times I was ripped off by those polish/russian/korean sellers who were spreading Famiclone carts on bazaars when every fancy looking cartridge with avesum looking cover was another boring compilation of weird hacks of Super Marios Bros, Battle City, Bomberman etc.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
There was a guy I was in a guild with in Ultima Online. It was mostly a PvP-oriented guild called D*C on Atlantic. Anyway, every time we would kill a bunch of players, there was this one guy who would almost always go hidden so that he could be AFK for a while. Plenty of people go AFK a lot in MMOs, mostly smokers or folks with tiny bladders. But this guy only ever did it after we had made some kills. There was a definite pattern to it. So I asked him about it. And then he explained that he found that killing other players almost always gave him an erection. So he got in the habit of, uh, taking care of the problem. And he further explained that after the first few months he could no longer get an erection any other way. So he then felt obligated to always take advantage of that situation because he was worried that even the stimulus of player killing may one day lose its effect. I was like 13 at the time and this guy's problem really blew my mind. I couldn't even respond.

I always wonder what happened to that guy and his problem. I left the guild when Ultima Online started imposing stat loss penalties on murderers. Did he find another game? Does he continue to participate in Ultima Online's now-limited PvP to this day? Has he just given it all up and suffered from erectile dysfunction for the last 15 years?

Sounds like RPG Codex material.

Sounds like RPG Codex material.

Haha, I can almost imagine that guy reading this here now and going, "Motherfucker!"

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I recall another weird thing I did when I was a kid. I used to LARP flight sims (early 1990s DOS) with my brother

This reminds me of my playthrough of Half Life. I was the WSAD guy while my brother was aiming with the mouse. And we were really good, almost synchronized. We've beaten the whole game like that. That was a very unique experience.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom