Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most Misleading Box Art

Beastro

Arcane
Remember those lovely days when you'd go browsing a store to buy or rent a game and had, largely, only the cover to go by.

And the cover had nothing to do with the game itself?

I'll start with Robinsons Requiem, a game I very much wanted to get when I was out searching for a Jaguar to buy. Fortunately I never found the Jaguar or this game, as it's a pure (and primitive) survival sim game and not the space/planetary exploration game I was expecting:

iu

Anyone have some good ones to post?

Most of pirate Famicom carts has some fancy shit on their covers desping being jus simple collections of SMB/BattleCity/Bomberman/Whatever hacks.

Plus, Wolverine in Mortal Kombat?

mkfamicom.jpg

Last edited:

Shackleton

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
What I bought:

hFAKko3.jpg

What I got:

Bs54I3S.gif

In fairness, every one of Psygnosis's games had such awesome art there was just no way the game could be anything other than a disappointment.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
What I bought:

hFAKko3.jpg

What I got:

Bs54I3S.gif

In fairness, every one of Psygnosis's games had such awesome art there was just no way the game could be anything other than a disappointment.

I remember that. First (and only) game I've ever owned that came on more cassettes then it had colors.

BTW, this is what you can squeeze out of an Amstrad CPC+ when you put the effort into it:

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
What I bought:

hFAKko3.jpg

What I got:

Bs54I3S.gif

Actual Shadow of the Beast screenshots from the Amiga original:

173481-shadow-of-the-beast-amiga-screenshot-bloody-thorn.png

283097-shadow-of-the-beast-amiga-screenshot-surrounded-by-monsters.png

173484-shadow-of-the-beast-amiga-screenshot-you-be-dead.png

283103-shadow-of-the-beast-amiga-screenshot-you-meet-new-types-of.png

283111-shadow-of-the-beast-amiga-screenshot-fighting-the-hydra-the.png

ShadowOfTheBeast_Loader.tft1.png

427863-shadow-of-the-beast-amiga-front-cover.jpg

The cover art was wonderful and appropriate. :obviously:

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
But on a serious note, the original idea of box art was to be misleading: To give people a hyped-up idea of what the game inside contained... if you strained your imagination.

Every game box released before 1984 fits this description, and almost every game box released up until 1988 as well. Fortunately by around then some software houses found a fine line to toe: To have box art show imagery of things in the game - only looking a little better than they really did. Instead of straining your imagination the box art played on it instead. This is an art that's been completely lost on box art designers for the past 15 years BTW.

Take Shadow of the Beast above as an example. It shows beasts in a forest. The opening level of the game has trees, and there are plenty of beasts in it. Roger Dean being a master artist helps seal the deal, and sends the message that the graphics are truly spectacular. And they were - if you had a 16-bit version of the game. It's only misleading if you're the kind of sod like me and Shackleton that got an 8-bit version of the game. :argh:

Even so, during and after that time there were box art designs which truly baffled the mind - Palikka bringing up Phalanx is an excellent example.

Another one I brought up a couple of years ago was Legend of Kyrandia 2: The Hand of Fate. The box art was created long before any info about the game was publicly known. As a result the box art designers had to guess what the game was about. Here's what they came up with:

152292-the-legend-of-kyrandia-hand-of-fate-dos-front-cover.jpg

95032-the-legend-of-kyrandia-hand-of-fate-dos-front-cover.png

Box Art #1 (Europe) goes into Tarot territory, even though there's nothing Tarot-related in the game, while Box Art #2 (USA) plays with the 'hand' aspect of the title and almost hits the mark, though it feels more like a shot in the dark rather than an informed decision.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Nice necro.

My all-time favorite for this has always been Mob Rule.

The box art:

1f850bfe-aba2-11ed-a5ec-02420a00019b.webp

the actual game:

0FF48EA0BF1AB643CC32ECF69A563CE129498DE7

2862a99a-ab78-11ed-934f-02420a0001a0.webp

I adore the game itself, but the box art is hilariously hardcore for what it really is.

lightbane

Arcane
Gotta love these kind of threads that pop up from time to time. Shame cool or zany boxarts are mostly gone as well nowadays.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom