Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Most overrated crpgs on codex that likaq doesn't like ( poll )

Most overrated crpgs on codex

• Total voters

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
If someone were to make Wizardry: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord today, I would not consider it to be an RPG.
-J.E. Sawyer

:hahano: One more reason to hate Sawyer.

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
Some of the options are surprising to me, because in order to be overrated it needs to be something widely liked. Do any Codexers really give a fuck about Banner Saga?

Night Goat

The Immovable Autism
Patron
No Fun Allowed
Codex 2013 Codex 2014
I commend whoever added PST and Fallout, but it's still missing Underworld: The Game of the Movie VTMB.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Dark Souls. Full stop. A game originally planned for and initially released on console number 14 on the top 50 cRPGs of all time list? What the fuck? People love so much to call Dark Souls a hardcorre game just because it's difficult, when the depth of rpg mechanics in that game is comparable to my insight in quantum physics. No way that shit is on top of the freaking list, I can't acccept this.

hivemind

No Pillars of Eternity?
likaq is an overrated poster.

A game needs to be highly rated in order to be overrated and I don't PoE really counts for that.

Many people talk the game down and apart from the neutral positive shills I can think of only like one vocal defender of the game, and even there I'm not sure if Irenaeus II really likes the game or is just having a laugh with it.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Some of the options are surprising to me, because in order to be overrated it needs to be something widely liked. Do any Codexers really give a fuck about Banner Saga?
I do kind sir. The Banner Saga was a great game, not very cRPG in itself, but still.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Dark Souls. Full stop. A game originally planned for and initially released on console number 14 on the top 50 cRPGs of all time list? What the fuck? People love so much to call Dark Souls a hardcorre game just because it's difficult, when the depth of rpg mechanics in that game is comparable to my insight in quantum physics. No way that shit is on top of the freaking list, I can't acccept this.

It is that good, the combat in Dark Souls is better than anything you'll find in a CRPG of the same type. It's an amazing game, and your bias towards consoles is the reason for your fuckery. Dark Souls have amazing combat/gameplay, difficulty, atmosphere and it's in an open world where you can go fight one of the end bosses 10 minutes into the game. It got everything you'll ever want from a game of that genre.

It also runs much better on a computer than it does on the console. It's fine to complain about Dark Souls not belonging to the CRPG category (personally i think it does). But it's moronic to say it's a bad game because it was made for the console.

Last edited:

valcik

Arcane
Jick Magger
What a spoiled brat the dude is! He deserved to be kicked right in the balls IMHO.
---
I don't know how those games are rated on 'dex, voted for kingcomrade.

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
It is that good, the combat in Dark Souls is better than anything you'll find in a CRPG of the same type. It's an amazing game, and your bias towards consoles is the reason for your fuckery. Dark Souls have amazing combat/gameplay, difficulty, atmosphere and it's in an open world where you can go fight one of the end bosses 10 minutes into the game. It got everything you'll ever want from a game of that genre.

It also runs much better on a computer than it does on the console. It's fine to complain about Dark Souls not belonging to the CRPG category (personally i think it does). But it's moronic to say it's a bad game because it was made for the console.
Which is exactly what I didn't say, kind sir. When Dark Souls was released on consoles, I was one of the desperate gamers who signed the petition for the much desired pc port. It is an awesome game, but you cannot seriously confuse an excellent action combat system (I agree with you, maybe the best I've ever seen) with a solid rpg backbone. It is a crpg, just like skyrim is a crpg because it's a freaking rpg that can be played on pc, but this doesn't mean that it has the depth or complexity to be considered on par with other examples of the genre. What did Dark Souls have? Complex quest design? Shady moral choices? Deep and engrossing dialogues? Meaningful character development? Nope, nope, nope and nope. I don't know, maybe next time I'll search better. What it did have was a great action combat system and the best boss battles I've ever seen.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
A game needs to be highly rated in order to be overrated and I don't PoE really counts for that.

Many people talk the game down and apart from the neutral positive shills I can think of only like one vocal defender of the game, and even there I'm not sure if Irenaeus II really likes the game or is just having a laugh with it.

This is a good point.. the hype has died down a bit and the koolaid ran dry a month or two ago. More recent polls of asking wether PoE is better then IE games shows a majority think it's complete shit and the expansion just released with barely a fart in the wind around here.

Even people who a month ago were adamantly brofisting any positive feedback on the game have slowly flip flopped back to reality.

:hahano: One more reason to hate Sawyer.

I thought for sure you were an Obsidian die hard fan. This post seems out of character..

DavidBVal

4 Dimension Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Pathfinder: Wrath
Probably every game that becomes a "classic" is in a way overrated. Best thing about this thread is that I didn't know some of those titles, so now I have things to look up and maybe play. I won't vote, simply because I don't know some of those games, and that'd mean my vote is meaningless.

However, I disagree with the very obvious result of BG1 leading as overrated, in particular ahead of BG2, and will comment on that.

I think BG2 is widely considered by the public as better than BG1, so that alone makes it very hard for BG1 being "more overrated". BG2 is often considered the apex of the "Infinity" together with Torment, while BG1 really had all features in BG2, plus exploration in a open-ish map. I think many people rate BG1 lower because it happens in the the lower levels of DnD, but damn, I love 2e levels 1-3, so much. You actually fear combat with pretty much anything, as it should be. I found myself having to think and plan carefully, how to win some of the battles, while BG2 suffers from the problem of most RPGs in which players reach high levels: the more varierty of powers and spells you add to a game, the more the player will tinker around to become godlike, and be able to beat the AI easily. And I remember a long part of BG2 where combats became routine.

In perspective, while I loved both, I think BG1 made a stronger impression on me back then. Listening to the big criticism towards it nowadays, I can hardly say the game is overrated. Has flaws, sure, but what game doesn't.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Disregarding the poll results, Arcanum is still the most overrated crpg on the codex imo. Second spot... BG1 I guess? Hard to say what's next, perhaps PST, though I guess no one really rates it as a good game per se.

Then there are various console action games (FNV, Souls games, post-1 Witcher games) that many prestigious crpg connoisseurs hold in a peculiarly high regard.

Then there are all the other Obsidian games, but sometimes I think that people just pretend to rate them to make sure that no one treats codex seriously so that it can peacefully retain its status of an "underground" site.

Then there are all the painfully dull "new wave of incline" crpgs, but it's not like anyone gives a shit.

Lhynn

Arcane
Disregarding the poll results, Arcanum is still the most overrated crpg on the codex imo. Second spot... BG1 I guess? Hard to say what's next, perhaps PST, though I guess no one really rates it as a good game per se.

Then there are various console action games (FNV, Souls games, post-1 Witcher games) that many prestigious crpg connoisseurs hold in a peculiarly high regard.

Then there are all the other Obsidian games, but sometimes I think that people just pretend to rate them to make sure that no one treats codex seriously so that it can peacefully retain its status of an "underground" site.

Then there are all the painfully dull "new wave of incline" crpgs, but it's not like anyone gives a shit.
arent you an edgy tard

jaybirdy

Educated
I'm going with Fallout: New Vegas. Decent writing (that is worse than the originals, however) and faithful lore doesn't suddenly take away all the problems that FO3 had that carried over into NV. That gameplay and that engine is busted beyond repair.

It is not better than Wizardry 8 or Deus Ex--that is a ridiculous notion, really. #8 best "C"RPG ever? Come on.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
arent you an edgy tard
Even if I am, can't say I understand how you figured that out from that particular post. It's 100% facts that any non-dumbass person can notice and acknowledge after reading a few topics on these forums.
Fallout 1 is way more overrated than Arcanum.
Fallout 1 is probably one of the most accurately rated game on the codex. Fallout 2 is where revisionism, kkk-fishing and all sorts of sensual impairment rears its ugly head.

Lhynn

Arcane
Even if I am, can't say I understand how you figured that out from that particular post. It's 100% facts that any non-dumbass person can notice and acknowledge after reading a few topics on these forums.
Until there comes a time where i can speak with the dead by using a spell thats only available to those that spend points in a particular school of magic to solve a quest and thats just one of multiple solutions, until there comes a time where i can play as a freak experiment or a circus performer or a noble or an elf descendant or the son of a hero, or all the stupid amount of customization it gave you control of, until there comes a time where a game has similar possibilities to arcanum, it will still be one of the best RPGs out there.
Sure a lot of it may be boring, but the highlights are fucking brilliant, the game itself aims to the heaven and actually manages to touch it several times.

Having retards pointing out the obvious flaws of it i dont mind, having retards saying the game itself is shit makes me want to slap them across the face.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
So you're one of those people dumb enough to not even understand that "overrated game" totally doesn't mean "bad game", ok.

Still, Arcanum remains my favorite game for detecting try-hards and "prestigious" newfags when it comes to crpgs. People who actually know its true, untainted, release taste tend to sing a completely different song:lol:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom