Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mount & Blade II: Bannerlord

Turisas

Arch Devil
Patron
Not to mention too much images sometimes makes shit computer and internet connection like mine fuck up the page altogether.

Not sure about XenForo here, but on many forums the spoilered images get loaded all the same, just hidden from view so it doesn't affect page loading times or bandwidth use at all. If your computer is struggling with showing the pictures all at once, then I don't know what to tell you... Maybe it's time to ditch that Pentium II?

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
Not to mention too much images sometimes makes shit computer and internet connection like mine fuck up the page altogether.

Not sure about XenForo here, but on many forums the spoilered images get loaded all the same, just hidden from view so it doesn't affect page loading times or bandwidth use at all. If your computer is struggling with showing the pictures all at once, then I don't know what to tell you... Maybe it's time to ditch that Pentium II?

I use a very shit tablet and mini-pc most of the time
Maybe it's just a placebo effect, but When there's spoilers it seems to work better.
No glitch and faster loading time, especially no scrolling lagging.

Emily

Arcane
I honestly think they don't know what they're doing. This will stay vapourware.

Even though M&B and Warband had sold like cupcakes, the only thing he released these past years was fire and sword. I am willing to bet this turkish guy used the money on hookers and blows, and is capitalising on the Title alone to sell. This game might just be an HD warband, if it ever gets out.
the game was made by married couple

Borelli

Arcane
M&B combat is indeed nothing special when 1v1 (you block then attack, he blocks then attacks ad infinitum) unless there are no shield involved then it gets exciting. The core of combat however is team play. (and charging your opponents with a lance, that never gets old <3)

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I wish I liked this game, but the combat ruins it. It feels dull and plays dull.
What Bannerlord need is a combat revamp. They need to get rid of this absurd wind up and just have attacks triggering fluidly, like in chivalry.

Also, parrying that you can adjust dynamically instead of the 4 way bullshit. And the ability to remap the attack direction keybinds, I find mouse movements to be completely unreliable (and the keyboard option was garbage). Combo-ing your attack would be also appreciated, for fluidity's sake (once your sword swinged to the left, you swing it back again to the right, which makes sense. The sword doesnt magically goes back to it's normal stance).

And the feeling that you aren't just hitting a cardboard box with a cardboard sword. And some animations that aren't shit.

They are unfortunately plagued with a conservative fanbase of hardcore autists, which will severely hinder improvements in this domain.Unless they just ditch them after realising that the biggest chunk of the audience for this niche was turned away by the combat. Pandering to this small multiplayer community with their need of their own specially awful combat won't do them any good.
The combat is mostly fine and logical. Speed modifiers are awesome, but not always. When assaulting a castle inability to strike with your weapon is a common occurance. Game relies on speed mechanics way too much - it is almost impossible to use pike effectively as it pokes very weakly due to speed modifier. In reality, it was devastating. Shoul they fix this small issues game will be ok.

Eyeball

Arcane
I wish I liked this game, but the combat ruins it. It feels dull and plays dull.
What Bannerlord need is a combat revamp. They need to get rid of this absurd wind up and just have attacks triggering fluidly, like in chivalry.

Also, parrying that you can adjust dynamically instead of the 4 way bullshit. And the ability to remap the attack direction keybinds, I find mouse movements to be completely unreliable (and the keyboard option was garbage). Combo-ing your attack would be also appreciated, for fluidity's sake (once your sword swinged to the left, you swing it back again to the right, which makes sense. The sword doesnt magically goes back to it's normal stance).

And the feeling that you aren't just hitting a cardboard box with a cardboard sword. And some animations that aren't shit.

They are unfortunately plagued with a conservative fanbase of hardcore autists, which will severely hinder improvements in this domain.Unless they just ditch them after realising that the biggest chunk of the audience for this niche was turned away by the combat. Pandering to this small multiplayer community with their need of their own specially awful combat won't do them any good.
You are a shitnigger. You are not worthy of M&B.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
tried POP. Impressions - terrible clusterfuck of disbalanced equipment, stats and godawful voice "acting". Inferior to Floris and Anno in any way.

It's not a balance issue it's that PoP is meant for hardcore M&B players who are extremely familiar with vanilla + common mods and want a steep challenge. It takes a long time to to build up an army capable of taking on the stronger tier units. Was a poor suggestion to give to a new-ish player.

Lorica

Educated
tried POP. Impressions - terrible clusterfuck of disbalanced equipment, stats and godawful voice "acting". Inferior to Floris and Anno in any way.
When/what version did you play?
I'm trying to remember which one it was (v3.x?) but they toned down the magic equipment (made it harder to get, at least) later in the series.
I don't remember the voice acting, but I usually don't give a shit about it either way.
It was the only M&B mod I can remember that made me feel like I could get completely stomped well into the campaign, so I played it for longer than I usually play a vanilla campaign.
I think it remains a good recommendation.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer

Even though M&B and Warband had sold like cupcakes, the only thing he released these past years was fire and sword. I am willing to bet this turkish guy used the money on hookers and blows, and is capitalising on the Title alone to sell. This game might just be an HD warband, if it ever gets out.

A) They've been working on Bannerlord for at least a year now, probably longer.
B) Taleworlds did not create With Fire and Sword. The history of that game is interesting and tragic. A rather bad studio in the Ukraine (Snowbird? I think so) made the first version for MnB, when they licensed the engine from TW. Then they ported the sorry excuse for a game (rather a mod) to Warband and released it again. It didn't do great. Then Talewords started to work on WFAS as well, trying to fix it, while still patching Warband and later working on Bannerlord.
C) They also had to work on Napoleonic Wars later, when that mod got released as DLC. (probably pushed by Paradox, similarly to WFAS)

It seems to me like they've been waiting for an entire year in silence for a reason. They're no longer associated with Paradox, which is interesting. Paradox pulled a massive dick move last year, when they pretty much said: "We're having another studio make Warband again, but prettier. Deal with it." and announced War of the Roses. That also didn't do great. I think TW was contractually obligated to wait with Bannerlord stuff a whole year after the announcement, not to hurt the sales of WotR or something of the sort.
Now there's also going to be War of the Vikings, which looks even dumber than WotR, so in theory that's direct MP competition to Bannerlord. Good, if it's anything like WotR, Taleworlds have nothing to worry about. Plus their game will have the singleplayer campaign.
D) The first hints of info they're letting out on the forums seem to be related to modding and how much they've improved the editor/module system. So far it doesn't seem to be a mere HD remake.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
If they're no longer associated with Paradox I'm wondering if funding is why it's taking a while. Do they have anyone else bankrolling them?

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
It's not a balance issue it's that PoP is meant for hardcore M&B players who are extremely familiar with vanilla + common mods and want a steep challenge. It takes a long time to to build up an army capable of taking on the stronger tier units. Was a poor suggestion to give to a new-ish player.
Hardcore is allright, but not dumb. Castles have no marketplace I can tolerate, roaming almost invulnerable at early stages knights - sure. But not 1 injured knight slaughtering 40 second tier militias, twitching from 1238573 0 damage strikes. It's not a grind, it's a balance issue. Hardcore is when you can win by compensating overwhelming difficulty with skill. And in both Floris and Anno you can wear an uber-armored knight down on early-to-mid game.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
As I said, it was a poor suggestion for a relatively newish player -- a suggestion I didn't make. I agree that PoP is too much of a grind. Last time I played I used the Native Expansion mod which adds enough unit tiers to make it challenging without going overboard.

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted

A) They've been working on Bannerlord for at least a year now, probably longer.
B) Taleworlds did not create With Fire and Sword. The history of that game is interesting and tragic. A rather bad studio in the Ukraine (Snowbird? I think so) made the first version for MnB, when they licensed the engine from TW. Then they ported the sorry excuse for a game (rather a mod) to Warband and released it again. It didn't do great. Then Talewords started to work on WFAS as well, trying to fix it, while still patching Warband and later working on Bannerlord.
C) They also had to work on Napoleonic Wars later, when that mod got released as DLC. (probably pushed by Paradox, similarly to WFAS)

It seems to me like they've been waiting for an entire year in silence for a reason. They're no longer associated with Paradox, which is interesting. Paradox pulled a massive dick move last year, when they pretty much said: "We're having another studio make Warband again, but prettier. Deal with it." and announced War of the Roses. That also didn't do great. I think TW was contractually obligated to wait with Bannerlord stuff a whole year after the announcement, not to hurt the sales of WotR or something of the sort.
Now there's also going to be War of the Vikings, which looks even dumber than WotR, so in theory that's direct MP competition to Bannerlord. Good, if it's anything like WotR, Taleworlds have nothing to worry about. Plus their game will have the singleplayer campaign.
D) The first hints of info they're letting out on the forums seem to be related to modding and how much they've improved the editor/module system. So far it doesn't seem to be a mere HD remake.

Interesting read.

Glad to learn that they're no longer associated with Paradox. A mediocre publisher pushing for quick cash mediocre rehashes of a previous code. Not to mention all the extra dumb shit design decisions that comes from working with publishers.
Looking at War of the Roses (more associated to Paradox than M&B), their input could only have been shit. They took what was bad in M&B, multiplayer, then made of shittier version (with extremely high hardware requirement).
They were out of luck since chivalry was more or less doing the same thing, at the same time, better.

However that's also troubling on budget side of things. I hope they managed to snatch back their bucks earned from Warband and Napoleonic war (where they already under Paradox for the original one?).

Last edited:

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
War of the Roses was developed by FatShark who is an awful developer. In recent years Paradox has been putting out more and more trash filled with microtransactions/DLC. Underfunding crappy studios desperate for a paycheck.

Gregz

Arcane
Good thing the modding community surrounding M&B:W is rich and varied, apparently there's a lot of retarded people who play this game.

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted
I do hope that they will do something about formations, maybe only in single player. Just imake the game so that you can choose formations for your men, which would have a relevant impact. Shield wall being the most basic example, also pike phalanxes (like the medieval republics ones), other that could have existed.
None of this was possible or efficient, in Warband, but those existed back then, even for 100 men warbands.

Borelli

Arcane
If they're no longer associated with Paradox I'm wondering if funding is why it's taking a while. Do they have anyone else bankrolling them?
Isn't the team made of only husband&wife team? Or did they recruit more people? In any case small indies should not have problems with funding. They completed M&B completely by themselves before turning to paradox.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
They hired more people. Not sure how many but thought it was at least another half dozen or so.

Gregz

Arcane
I do hope that they will do something about formations, maybe only in single player. Just imake the game so that you can choose formations for your men, which would have a relevant impact. Shield wall being the most basic example, also pike phalanxes (like the medieval republics ones), other that could have existed.
None of this was possible or efficient, in Warband, but those existed back then, even for 100 men warbands.

It would be cool to have set formations other than just lines. Of particular use would be a wedge formation to break cavalry charges.

Merlkir

Arcane
Developer
Isn't the team made of only husband&wife team? Or did they recruit more people? In any case small indies should not have problems with funding. They completed M&B completely by themselves before turning to paradox.

They have a much larger team now. No idea who's paying for Bannerlord development, but I suppose it could be Warband sales. (the Napoleonic DLC and various MnB Pack sales on Steam made the games pretty successful lately)

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted

They have a much larger team now. No idea who's paying for Bannerlord development, but I suppose it could be Warband sales. (the Napoleonic DLC and various MnB Pack sales on Steam made the games pretty successful lately)

But weren't Warband's sales' money snatched away by the greedy Jews Swedes?

Beside, Borelli the initial team took years to complete the game, who was in development since 2002 I recall. If they lost all funding, it's going to take the same time, and as unpolished as the current game is.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
fuck this fantasy medieval stuff. i want a 30 years war setting and integrated rape/schwedentrunk mods.

i hope this time around there finally will be a pike and shot mod that is worth a damn. wanted to like fire and sword, but the setting and the barebones implementation just didn't do it for me.

Oesophagus

Arcane
One thing I'm wondering is, looking at the graphics and detail level of RTW2, would it not be possible to massively increase the battle size in MB2? I mean, is it really necessary to have all the troops on the battlefield have independent AI? Maybe I'm talking out of my arse, but I do think that a battle of 500 vs 500 should be possible (and stable).

Unwanted

Cursed Platypus

Unwanted

War of the Viking does look better than War of the Roses. Visually at least. Environments are really superb.

It makes me wish Mount and Blade was set in a real historical setting, because you will always get superior environments, due to you just having to copy the work of the geniuses of yore.
That's also true for a story/lore standpoint.

war_of_the_vikings_gamescom_screen_9_0.jpg

Anglo Saxons and Norse cultures clashing near old Romans/Celto-Romans ruins. Beautiful.

be_130627_1342243.png

war_of_the_vikings_gamescom_screen_6.jpg
bitsquid_win32_dev_2013-08-16_17-00-05-82.jpg

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom