Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Multi-monitor games

How many monitors do you have?

• 0 monitors, 1 TV (console peasant)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • 1 monitor (and I'm a cuck who doesn't want 2)

Votes: 5 10.4%
  • 1 monitor (but I should have 2 like a real man)

Votes: 6 12.5%
  • 2 monitors

Votes: 22 45.8%
  • 3 monitors

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • 4+ monitors (retarded)

Votes: 1 2.1%
  • kingcomrade (my keyboard is connected to a cell phone)

Votes: 4 8.3%

• Total voters

J1M

Arcane
At what point are you Fallout 4 lovers going to buy a second TV to put next to your TV? I want games to start taking advantage of multi-monitor setups and you console peasants are holding us back.

I'm not talking about a racing game that lets you have a slightly wider FOV. I want to see an RTS that puts meta-game info and other visual information on a separate monitor. I want to see a Deus Ex game that has a monitor dedicated to inventory, infolink, etc.

This has two advantages. First, if the second monitor is showing information instead of 4K polygons, you won't need double the GPU to run the game. Second, another monitor won't be a game prerequisite the way a headset is for VR.

Post games that make effective use of multi-monitor setups in this thread. And since not nearly enough of those exist, post your game ideas for people at Ubisoft to steal as well.

Last edited:

CreamyBlood

Arcane
I was thinking of getting a third for exactly the reason you don't want to hear is for Dirt 2.

I use my second sometimes for looking up 'crafting' requirements or maps in the stupid shit games I play now like ARK or something but that's kind of rare because you still have to TAB out to unlock your mouse cursor. I guess I could move a steam chat window over to it while playing, but then again I don't want to chat with idiots in CDS while playing a game, usually. Right now it's not even turned on.

I do like the idea of having the inventory, map (if you have one) and stats screens shifted over there though. It could be useful to many people in the future but how many resources do you have to put into developing that compared to the amount of RPG players that have two screens? Interesting question.

Last edited:

racofer

Thread Incliner
I've been using two monitors for quite a while. It's the best setup in my opinion. I only game on one monitor, though, while the second I load system monitoring software (MSI Afterburner) or the eventual walkthrough.

This was one of the best setups for multi "monitors" I've seen so far:

xILtfip.jpg

uAnMNG7.jpg

So bezel = heaven. Some people also do similar setups using traditional displays by removing the bezels.

Naraya

Arcane
For me it's hard to imagine not having 2 monitors at home (not more though, 3 is overkill IMO). I usually have twitch on the 2nd one streaming something whenever I use my PC.

Also regarding the above post, there already are no-bezel monitors available, IIRC.

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
At the current time, I can only use a laptop, as ATM my house is far too small with far too much already in it for a desktop, let alone a multiple monitor setup. As soon as I can(so probably college) I'm gonna get a decent desktop.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
My desk is too small to put 24 and 27 inch monitors together :negative: Then again, the 24 inch one is depressing to look at when compared to the IPS screen :M

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I use a 27 inch 16:9 monitor in front of me and a 22 inch 4:3 monitor to the left of it. I'm fairly happy with the widescreen for games as it fits my field of vision quite nicely, and the 4:3 is great for browsing and music etc. Extended display over multiple monitors looks cool, but the fact that it's so rarely taken advantage of means that it kind of sits along with VR for me right now. Both interesting but just not worth all the money for what it gives in enjoyment. As with VR, it'll be utilised by devs more as the hardware becomes more affordable.

Any of you used one of those uber-wide single monitors for general use? I'm curious to know if they're annoying as fuck when you're just browsing the internet and shit

illuknisaa

Cipher
I've been using 3 monitor setup for 5-6 years now and when games work and run well enough it is a joy to behold. Lot of older games are really fun due good fps, gameplay and clear visuals (you aren't bombarded with lens flares which are sometimes worse on mult mon setups).
E6444202AFE40A057D51B3E4836C59944EEA9421

CE3618814E7FDC727BE9C225F9FE8338921FD342

F3E045CFF90D932D2FF975F79DFD414856E6E1F0

B84C58C263F026580B896DA874F8B320C6C7DB4B

B64FA0CD5CF1FC761A1E3461C43C3E568517B824

J1M

Arcane
One area I have noticed that is improved of late is the "windowed fullscreen" display mode in AAA games. I assume this is simply part of the standard graphics API and not intentional, but it does make it easier to use a web browser or video player in another window.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I had a thread about this before and was told I'm a retard because no one wants this. I'm p. Sure there was a diablo-like game that showed the inventory on one screen for example

illuknisaa

Cipher
I played Torchlight 2 with this and it was pretty fun. The game spans properly and I could have both inventory screens open at the same time without center monitor being obscured.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
Battlefield 4 lets you display a tactical map of the battlefield on a secondary monitor. Sadly they didn't bring this feature forward to Battlefield 1 :decline:

Desert Fish

Educated
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Any of you used one of those uber-wide single monitors for general use? I'm curious to know if they're annoying as fuck when you're just browsing the internet and shit
Not at all. I treat it as two monitors joined together. In fact it's much nicer than the lowly peasants' 1920x1080 pixel format, which I often find not wide enough for two windows side by side, but has wasted space for a single window.

I consider 32" 2560x1440 the sweet spot for general use, though.

Last edited:

Severian Silk

Would a 3 monitor setup with 3 video cards perform better than a single monitor and video card that is 3 times as wide? I would prefer the latter due to lack of gaps between monitors. It would be cool to be able to hook up multiple video cards to the same monitor, each rendering a portion of the screen. I guess that's what SLI is for, but can you link 3 video cards in SLI mode?

:philosoraptor:

J1M

Arcane
Generally, if you can get the power you need in a single GPU it's better. Consider the resolution limits of the card you are interested in. Maximum resolution of a 1070 is 7680x4320, for example.

illuknisaa

Cipher
Yeah I agree with J1M. Single gpu > SLI. SLI just seems to give inconsistent performace results with AAA games and you are lucky if smaller dev even knows what SLI is. Add in the mess that is multimonitor gaming and you are in for some fun times.
The gap between monitors really is a non-issue. When you are playing you are generally focused (the only game where a look at side monitors is ETS2) on the center screen and your brain kinda tunes out the gap so you don't even notice them.

If you are interested in multi monitor gaming just be aware that currently there is no pc that can run every game @ max graphics, and @ 60 fps @ 5760x1080 resolution. There are also lots of games that simply don't work and as far as I know there hasn't a been a true multimonitor game since Doom 1.

J1M

Arcane
Bumping this 5 years later to see if any recent games have had dual-monitor support.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I bought a second monitor to emulate 3ds games. And wii-u. And ds.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom