Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Multi-quoting functional quirks/bugs

Nevill

Arcane
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Let's talk multi-quoting functional for a second.

While I am a huge supporter of the whole idea ever since the quote button disappeared, the current implementation has some weird quirks in it.

First, and the most obvious, is that it has two seemingly identical 'Reply' links. What is the second for?

Second, it is a bit inconsistent. Usually, it allows users to quote the highlighted text. Suppose you click three times to select a paragraph - the engine then allows you to quote the paragraph, like so:
2015_04_26_150935.jpg

But the functionality does not apply to the last paragraph in the post:
2015_04_26_151002.jpg
Note how there is no pop-up.

And it also does not allow you to quote text from inside spoilers or quotes:
2015_04_26_150954.jpg

Though if the spoilered content happens to be caught inside the 'normal' text, the engine has no problems quoting it.
2015_04_26_151013.jpg

Naturally, I am biased, since 99% of my posts are in the Playground and it is full of posts spoilered for length, which makes is difficult to quote and comment on them.

I want to ask if the multi-quoting can't be expanded to affect all highlited text that is a part of a post.

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
Yea, it's not working as it should be.

Edit: well, apparently it is, or so I'm told.

Last edited:

Nevill

Arcane
Edit: well, apparently it is, or so I'm told.
How so?

I can understand not being able to quote signatures and the like, but the last paragraph? Seems like an oversight.

Is there any reason not to have this function for spoilers/quotes?

Also, on mobiles this pop-up does nothing. Neither 'reply' nor '+quote' buttons work, though you can add whole posts to the queue with the button in the top right corner. The quoting on mobiles is as fucked up as ever - worse, in fact, since the pop-up interferes with the native interface.

Edit: whoa, since when did the 'quote' button return to the text editor? :incline:

Last edited:

Taluntain

Most Frabjous
Staff Member
If there's anything off about multi-quote the easiest way to troubleshoot it would be trying to do the same thing on the default theme and see if it happens there too. Any number of modifications to the style or mods could be changing the default behaviour. Since I don't even know how it should all work since it's a new feature this would obviously take some looking into and since it's not essential and I've got about a dozen other things I need to be doing right now this is likely going to take a back seat until my schedule clears a bit or DU feels like looking into it.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
Let's talk multi-quoting functional for a second.
This was longer than a second. I'll be deducting brofists to make up for the additional lost time talking about multi-quote functionality.

First, and the most obvious, is that it has two seemingly identical 'Reply' links. What is the second for?
Feng Shui.

Second, it is a bit inconsistent. Usually, it allows users to quote the highlighted text. Suppose you click three times to select a paragraph - the engine then allows you to quote the paragraph, like so:
2015_04_26_150935.jpg

But the functionality does not apply to the last paragraph in the post:
2015_04_26_151002.jpg
Note how there is no pop-up.
This is slightly erroneous. Clicking three times doesn't select the whole paragraph, technically it selects the parent element of whatever you're clicking or some such. As a result, within a paragraph it's ok but near the end it grabs an extra div or something as well. If you manually highlight (click and drag over the text) to grab only the text, you'll be fine. You can see in the last image there how you're also highlighting elements at the side, technically outside of the "post" container.

And it also does not allow you to quote text from inside spoilers or quotes:
It's a feature. The XenForo devs are very against quoting quotes. It's why I have to mod the forums on every upgrade to allow quoting to include quoted quotes.

They're funny like that.

Though if the spoilered content happens to be caught inside the 'normal' text, the engine has no problems quoting it.
2015_04_26_151013.jpg
Under normal circumstances, the spoilered / quoted text taken in such a manner wouldn't be included in the actual resulting quote, should you go ahead and click the quote button.

I want to ask if the multi-quoting can't be expanded to affect all highlited text that is a part of a post.
Anything is possible.

Nevill

Arcane
I see that the extra 'Reply' button was removed. That's good news.

Coincidentally, that was the same 'Reply' button that was available in 'Conversations'. Now highlighting any text in conversations causes a tiny empty black pop-up to emerge. :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom