Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Murdered: Soul Suspect

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Seems like it. And they have the same voice too.

Also this game looks good. And there seems to be some critical thinking involved, like when the guy was influencing the woman he was possessing so she could tell the cops all that she knew. Finally a good investigation game ?
Finally? Go play Blade Runner right now.

anus_pounder

Arcane
IGN :- 5.5/10
Escapist :- 2 & 1/2 out of 5 stars
Joystiq :- 3.5 out of 5 stars

Only read the IGN review so far but it complains of braindead puzzles, really linear experience and mediocre writing. Well if its too linear and simple even for IGN...

Escapist said:
You don't even have to find all the clues to solve a particular mystery, since more often than not you can just brute force your way through merely by picking random topics until you hit the right combination. It was a real shame to realize that after several different investigations, I was encountering the same types of easy to solve puzzles over and over. In fact, other than ruining your chance for a perfect score, there's no penalty for mucking up an investigation. This just about kills any weight behind Ronan's supposedly urgent quest to solve the Bell Killer murders when you don't have to worry about any real risk of failure.

Well, damn.

Shadenuat

Arcane
Eh, I've seen worse. At least it's not a corridor shooter, as a detective you gather clues and use a few ghost abilities. So it's more of a corridor E-presser. The difficulty is about failing a few QTEs, and gameplay as superfluous as it gets. Even a 5 year old can get through this game by mashing buttons long enough.

And no, Heavy Rain actually has more gameplay than this (and even actual C&C I believe).

I can't believe anyone would think of creating a game about detective job that is absolutely devoid of any chance of failure. But here it is.

The plot, hn... it's about witches and stuff. And you can posess a cat a few times. So I am entertained so far, cause it's spooky and has spooky side stories in it.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
I can't believe anyone would think of creating a game about detective job that is absolutely devoid of any chance of failure. But here it is.

Well, LA Noir did it too. You could fuck up all your cases and simply get some verbal abuse from your captain. Afterwards you'd still be promoted because... :popamole:. Zero consequences and story that makes no fucking sense in the context of your actions.

Ringhausen

Augur
LA Noir had a game over screen if you fucked up too much.

I don't see how any of you could even consider this game though. That fedora-vest-chain combo make the protagonist look like Justin Timberlake. And the whole ghost shtick is so cheesy.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Currently €40 on Steam, €20 at key sellers. It'll be worth buying at €5.99.

GreyViper

Prophet
Heck LA Noir has better entertainment then this POS. Great concept shitty writing. Besides when the great reveal comes your not supposed to burst out laughing at this absurdity like I was. All this runaround for what, for the mos anticlimactic ending ever, well done, well done*golf clap*.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Heck LA Noir has better entertainment then this POS. Great concept shitty writing. Besides when the great reveal comes your not supposed to burst out laughing at this absurdity like I was.

I already guessed the killer and the general idea of the twist while I was still at my murder scene, but only because it was the most hackneyed thing I could think of.

Zarniwoop

TESTOSTERONIC As Fuck™
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong

So you haven't played LA Noire then I take it?

Edit: Others mentioned it already. This is why I love (and hate) the Codex.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Looks like mainstream game journos are finally waking up... too bad they helped create the sad state of AAA games.

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
What about the "stealth" gameplay? I seem to remember something about malignant ghosts you have to avoid or something like that.

GreyViper

Prophet
Its there but done a bit easy mode, basically you jump from one hiding spot to another then ambush the demon, rinse and repeat. Its kind of shame, because the animation of daemons is done quite well, another lost opportunity:?.

Diablo169

Arcane
Real shame about this. The concept itself sounds great, but this is a game by the same people who made Dark Void. Another title that sounds great on paper, but was shit in execution.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Josh Sawyer said:
what was Murdered: Soul Whatever even like?
bad enough (read: "visionary driven") that i know at least one friend who worked there bailed out ahead of its release, and turns out he was quite right to do so
it would be cool if someone made a detective game where the choices you made in how you gathered/handled evidence, accused people, dealt with police/PIs/informants, actually had some sort of consequence. take bribes, frame dudes you don't like but don't have the evidence to convict, hang an informant out to dry in order to make a case and get him killed, refuse to take bribes and get ostracized by other police. both l.a. noire and M:SS did the "play through a single mystery with one solution" approach and it's really difficult to make interesting gameplay/decisions out of that. in l.a. noire i think there were so many places where a player-driven choice could have had interesting knock-on effects later on.
Haha, "visionary driven." It's like the last quote in my sig.

And Josh is right as usual. :)

Athelas

Arcane
What Josh describes sounds like the Neverwinter Nights 2 trial (and the gathering evidence before that)...up until you have to fight that dude.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom