Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My Risen impressions

Do you agree?

• Yes

• No

• Mayhap

Results are only viewable after voting.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
And then you can't figure out how to proceed with the investigation, and instead of manning up (or looking at a guide), you claim the game is broken and give up.

Wrong again. I ran through all the possible routes, talked to every NPC. I get it, old games have game-killing bugs Jaedar, I'm not mad about that. You'e possibly the only guy who is straight with me when telling me the combat doesn't improve past that point. Thanks, I gave up on the game. Yes, I can't take the un-fun gameplay. I want to get gud, but I don't know how and the game certainly doesn't give any encouragements whatsoever. Motivation is a thing. Perhaps in another reality, Steve followed Jan and never deviated from the noob quest and enjoyed himself. This iteration of Steve clearly didn't and that's a pity. You know what's funny, you all seem to think I'm HAPPY that this game SUCKED! HOW IS THAT POSSIBLE!
WHO IN THE RIGHT MIND WANTS RISEN TO SUCK? I PAID FOR THIS GAME.
I WANT TO HAVE FUN. BUT IT'S NOT FUN.
IS THAT WRONG?

Oh, as an unfortunate surprise, turns out I own the sequel.

lookfaggot.png

Let's give this one a go and see how PB 'improves' the game. :lol:

Risen was a holdover from the generation of games (RPGs in particular) that expected players to RTFM and figure things out for themselves.
I never read a single line of Risen's manual, because everything in the game was pretty self-explanatory and mechanically as basic and intuitive as it can get, actually.

I mean, let's be frank here. it's the sort of game you'll need to be more or less mentally impaired to find "complex and confusing".

Let's give this one a go and see how PB 'improves' the game. :lol:
They didn't. They made it worst.
Which going for your tastes so far it may even look as an improvement to you.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
Man hits wall against head and complains that it hurts! More at 11!

Almost every single creature in the game can be beaten in melee without taking any damage, not to mention you can abuse range like all hell. If you haven't figured it out it means you aren't experimenting in anyway in which case that is some serious casualitis. (Which is why we can't have cool quests like Chromanin anymore).

SCO

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Tasteless guy doesn't have any taste, news at 11

RK47

Patron
Do you guys also get 13-22 fps in Risen 1?

Nah, I have no complaints about the gameplay performance as a whole.

Man hits wall against head and complains that it hurts! More at 11!

Almost every single creature in the game can be beaten in melee without taking any damage, not to mention you can abuse range like all hell. If you haven't figured it out it means you aren't experimenting in anyway in which case that is some serious casualitis. (Which is why we can't have cool quests like Chromanin anymore).

And you can do this from having zero experience about the gameplay, mastering the game immediately because you are intimately familiar with the innerworkings of previous gothics or what-have-you.

People, for fuck's sake. You think this is down to intuition and player's reflex? Gaming sense of some kind? Did you all bite on a radioactive Dorito that you suddenly gain gamer sense that can work immediately when you click NEW GAME on Risen? Fuck's sake. You make it sound like a gentlemen's club of games when it's nothing more than vague gameplay concepts that is badly explained and presented in game. The jankiness of control and poorly explained mechanics is what makes this game unfun, compounded by the monastery beat-down.

I need time to git gud. Except the game doesn't really let me 'get into the game' while I'm in the monastery and Jaedar, no offense I refuse to believe being captured by the monastery is not a 'Level 2 zone' since the game designer clearly put you there as a 'newcomer' who just joined the faction against his will, which unfortunately translates into the player being bound in this faction for the rest of the game instead of allowing me an option to escape.

And telling me if I get to level 4 and getting STR 40 therefore rendering most of the early game critter encounters resolved within one string of combo only meant I just gotta abuse the barrel top-up over and over to grind EXP from these trash mobs. Holy shit, I'm meta-gaming. Yes, that's what I am. I rather meta if the game cannot explain how the gameplay works properly when the game has a 'setting' and 'environment' that can actually facilitate that.

And to others, no I'm not troling.
I don't see why I need to troll on a 2009 game that receives SOOOOOOOOO MANNNNNY ACCCCCOLAADDDESS (in the Codex) that it stood the test of time and the developers have managed to release a trilogy which its die-hard fans can be proud of.

Last edited:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Dear God, thousand hours in Skyrim? I'd probably find Commander Keen complex after that.

Anyway, you should try out (widely considered to be) the best PB game - Gothic 2:NOTR before completely giving up on them. Be sure to post impressions after playing it for a few hours.

Last edited:

Snufkin

Augur
Risen might hate my 620 GT then. Or have just bad engine. I know its low end card but i can squeeze 40-50 fps in Drakensang and 25-50 in Skyrim on ultra.

RK47

Patron
Dear God, thousand hours in Skyrim? I'd probably find Commander Keen complex after that.

Anyway, you should try out best PB game - Gothic 2:NOTR before completely giving up on them. Be sure to post impressions after playing it for a few hours.

Don't own it, don't wanna buy it. Anyway, you guys are right, Risen 2 is :decline:

:lol: What the fuck. Give me a sprint bar ffs. don't give me this shit. XD

RK47: https://youtu.be/HMvB-bx2UVQ
Lhynn: wuts that?
RK47: Roll Playing Game

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Play Gothic 2: NOTR instead. I've not yet played Risen, but it looks and sounds like a Gothic so I bet I'd like it and am therefore extremely triggered by your post.

It doesn't do an in game tutorial either (it seems this one doesn't, from your post), so just have a look at the manual and practice for yourself. I get complaining about shit in game tutorials that half arse it by skipping some info due to dev oversight (eg. "use WASD to move, left click to attack" but then never tells you right-click parries), but if a game gives nothing in game it clearly expects you to have a look at the manual, which is fair enough.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
He just ragequit because R1sen was too 'ard. You people really expect him to even get to Khorinis in NOTR?

RK47 said:
Anyway, you guys are right, Risen 2 is :decline:

:lol: What the fuck. Give me a sprint bar ffs. don't give me this shit. XD

I'm sorry but... With all the actually issues that could be addressed in Risen 2, that's your complaint?
What's the point of this borderline retarded video exactly?

RK47

Patron
Because running around is slower than rolling.

RK47

Patron
No, it isn't.
But even if it was, that wouldn't explain why do you think that's particularly relevant.

It's particularly relevant because I kept wishing for a sprint bar in Risen to speed walking around. Things like stamina should matter.
You shouldn't be able to continue holding block forever to absorb hits like it was nothing and you shouldn't be able to roll endlessly to get around places like that.

First, I didn't play the game in a while, but I'm fairly sure THERE IS a sprint.
Second, as I said let's even assume you are right. there isn't one and rolling is, say, 5-to-20% faster than just running...

Do you actually think this would justify you rolling constantly like a complete mongoloid (as if it was a better option) and you dismissing the whole game (which, believe me, has plenty of *actual* flaws) over something so astonishingly stupid?

the_shadow

Arcane
Also, I want to murder the designers who thinks I'm to be rewarded after beating three seniors in arena combat with a 'boss fight' aka 'you beat the students, now face the master' like it was even possible for a kid who is just fresh off the boat that got wrecked in the intro.

All in all, it was soul-crushing. I worked so hard to grind through the three robots in duel, only to get tossed into a fight that took out 80% HP in one hit because 'it's funny'
I wasn't laughing.
I wasn't having fun.
This is insulting.

So I decided to side-step, asked for advice, and finally, someone told me to humble this trainer with another trick. Get him drunk and get him to relinquish that sword of his.
GREAT! I finally will humiliate this faggot. I even got him one of the WORST SWORD IN THE WORLD! Hahaha, no way I can lose.

Except...I still lose, horribly.

True, the guy hits for 30% per hit now but he still fucking swings just as fast, and that is a serious problem when I'm still coming to grips to how combat is supposed to work, DID YOU REALLY THINK ALL THAT THREE SESSION WITH A STAFF IS GOING TO PREPARE ME TO FIGHT WITH A FUCKING SWORD AGAINST A SWORDMASTER?
The fuck? This is how you reward players who took an extra step to beat an opponent?
He was even intoxicated, ffs! Yet he fought like a well-drilled soldier. Blocking when needed, striking just as fast as I do. Once again, I knew no tricks, I learned none in the past student fights, I simply block, and tap my mouse twice, then hold block again. Sometimes I hit him, sometimes I don't. All I know is his red bar better drop to zero before mine does.

I've finished Risen, and I have to admit you make a good point here. The duel with the instructor is absurdly difficult for an early game fight which you *have* to complete to progress. It was a stumbling block for me as well, and I can't exactly remember how I beat him, although I do seem to recall a lot of reloads. Honestly though, the combat gets *much* easier from then on, particularly if you are a mage.

I agree. It's a pretty shitty game, reminiscent of Goffik 3. Shitty combat that after you master you realize how boring the game becomes (hitting and blocking also feel unsatisfying as fuck), boing story, no spell variety or good magic system, environment is uninteresting to explore...

When I played it it was riddled with bugs also. Used to get stuck on cliffs. When I compose as to the inherent shittiness of action rpgs, Risen comes to mind first, then the bad diabllo clones

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
He just ragequit because R1sen was too 'ard. You people really expect him to even get to Khorinis in NOTR?

Should have no problems, NOTR is known for being user friendly and holding the player's hand. It was the whole idea behind the addon, to make the game more welcoming and ease new players into the Gothic universe. Just like it should be.

RK47

Patron
First, I didn't play the game in a while, but I'm fairly sure THERE IS a sprint.
Second, as I said let's even assume you are right. there isn't one and rolling is, say, 5-to-20% faster than just running...

Do you actually think this would justify you rolling constantly like a complete mongoloid (as if it was a better option) and you dismissing the whole game (which, believe me, has plenty of *actual* flaws) over something so astonishingly stupid?

Sigh, friend. Do you really seriously think, I will uninstall a game just because of a movement absurdity? I mean...what? What kind of person am I to just dismiss a game based on a 5 minute rolling around?
But hell you gotta admit, why wouldn't you roll? You won't fall of a cliff cause you roll. The game stops you dead like I did when I rolled around on the stairs railing. The moment I stopped rolling to walk, I fell off the railing.
That lack of control from rolling to move fast should've been a disadvantage, while its rapid mobility is an advantage something that competent devs should understand.

Obama Phone 3

Learned
My only gripe with Risen is that it was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too easy.

The combat has a learning curve, but I prefer it to The Elder Scrolls.

It took me a little bit to get used to his cardboard mannerisms, but I liked the PC. He looks almost identical to Wentworth Miller's character in the TV show Prison Break.

Sjukob

Arcane
Topic starter must be a massive troll or a massive faggot .
I have no idea how somebody who spent that many years on codex can come up with such complaints . Although I agree with some of them .

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom