Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My room mate bought a PS4

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
Move out ASAP. Westerners who are into Wapanese stuff are weird.

12782.jpg

DakaSha

Arcane
Why does everybody here care so much about what others spend their money on, even if that money spent has no negative effect whatsoever apart from this made up notion of the support bringing on the decline

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
made up notion of the support bringing on the decline

Putting aside the question of whether buying console hardware brings decline in and out of itself, are you really trying to say that buying shit games does not, on average, cause more shit games to be produced? Because that seems very close to a self-evident truth to me.

Gregz

Arcane
Why does everybody here care so much about what others spend their money on, even if that money spent has no negative effect whatsoever apart from this made up notion of the support bringing on the decline

Collective consumerism actually has a tremendous impact on everyone else. It may be the closest thing we have to real democracy (politics is owned by lobbyists and multi-national corps, the 1%, etc.).

This very instant, if no one bought a single platform game, but instead poured that money into KoTC, or Steam, or GoG it would have tremendous ramifications. Within days companies would be scrambling to deliver products to the PC and halt everything slated for consoles, their very jobs and livelihood would depend on adapting to that mass consumer change as quickly as possible.

A single consumer has little power, but a large group of consumers suddenly shifting their attention to a different product has tremendous power.

You sound like those vegans who think they are saving the world. Not really, you don't matter, not when you are the only guy eating tofu in a neighborhood full of KFC enthusiasts

This very instant, if no one bought a single platform game, but instead poured that money into KoTC, or Steam, or GoG it would have tremendous ramifications. Within days companies would be scrambling to deliver products to the PC and halt everything slated for consoles, their very jobs and livelihood would depend on adapting to that mass consumer change as quickly as possible.

So in other words, things would be very different if things were very different?

Last edited:

DakaSha

Arcane
Why should they try to justify anything to you.

I hope my recent purchase of Diablo3 and Titanfall magically makes all of your kickstarted pipe dreams vanish

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014

Collective consumerism actually has a tremendous impact on everyone else. It may be the closest thing we have to real democracy (politics is owned by lobbyists and multi-national corps, the 1%, etc.).

A single consumer has little power, but a large group of consumers suddenly shifting their attention to a different product has tremendous power.

Unless the big money starts getting powerful enough to try and force consumers to play to their tune.

Curious_Tongue

Larpfest
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014
Bro you take things way too seriously, but I did found amusing how you went all defensive in this thread because you saw youself as potentially a part of the group of consumers we were talking about. I don't care what you or any other "gamer" buy, though my question remains valid and I still think their choice of consumption is a complete waste of money. It's not about justifying it to me, fuck me, but how about themselves? Well fuck them too of course but can these people genuinely believe their "10 games instead of 200" was a good deal at the end of the day? And the fact that I'd like to hear what they have to say about this doesn't mean I give a shit about them or the impact they have on the industry, I just want cheap entertainment from their stupidity. Their excuses could probably fill an entire "best thread ever part 4".

What platform has had 200 good games in the past decade? PC?

A choice between shit and shit makes me go for the console cause it's cheaper.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Cheaper?

PS4 = 500?
TV = 300 (32 inch)
10 games = 600

Total = 1400 USD

For less than that money you can build a kickass gaming rig.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
You sound like those vegans who think they are saving the world. Not really, you don't matter, not when you are the only guy eating tofu in a neighborhood full of KFC enthusiasts

Of course you do matter, not very much in the grand scheme of things, but it's a nonzero quantity. Do you also not vote in elections because millions of other people are casting their votes on a party or candidate you don't like? This kind of thought process is a childish attempt to absolve yourself of all responsibility for the world around you. "Yeah, this is a terrible product that fucks me in the ass, but I like this one thing about it and am a manchild with no self-control, so I'll buy it anyway." - the source of a grand majority of anti-consumer business practices in the world.

Did you know that you have to pay a subscription fee to Microsoft in order to use the fucking web browser on the XBone? That shit is simply unbelievable. Even if that machine had all the turn based rpgs in the world, I still wouldn't buy it, because I hate getting taken advantage of. I don't know how you can agree to something like this and not lose a measure of self-respect in the process.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
If nobody ever decides to do anything, things will never get better.

The codex has managed to help a shift towards interesting gaming in the past two years. If we had all just given up, the only thing left for us in the future would be QTEs and emotional engagement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom