Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My Steam Controller profile is up

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Deleted Member 16721

My Steam Controller profile is up. I made it to be consistent with my other configurations. The game is 100% playable with it and it controls quite well. I also kept it simple and did not add Quick Slots or anything like that. It has the basic UI functions such as Inventory, Character Sheet, Journal and Map, as well as an Attack toggle, Quickloot (controlled by simply touching the left trackpad), Highlight Items button and so on. Mage and Priest spells are a button press, and to search the journal or name a save file I added a keyboard feature. Long press the analog stick to bring up the keyboard (haptic feedback triggers to let you know when to release the stick.), and the 'A' button confirms key presses. The analog stick also controls the camera.

Enjoy. :hug:

Deleted Member 16721

Because a Steam Controller can completely replace a keyboard and mouse setup? And it feels better to play with a controller? Or reclining back and playing a CRPG without having to hover over a desk with a mouse and keyboard? I could keep going. Don't knock it until you try it! :)

Deleted Member 16721

Which is the real decline here?

Keyboard and mouse -
attorney.jpg

Steam Controller -
hqdefault.jpg

I rest my case. :)

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Because a Steam Controller can completely replace a keyboard and mouse setup? And it feels better to play with a controller? Or reclining back and playing a CRPG without having to hover over a desk with a mouse and keyboard? I could keep going. Don't knock it until you try it! :)
U can recline with keyboard and mouse just fine specially since pst is like 90% mouse-driven

Deleted Member 16721

OR just use any flat surface like your bed

That doesn't sound too comfortable, though. When I sit in bed with a wireless mouse and keyboard it is not a great experience. Either you sit up and get neck and back cramps or use a chair pillow. It's much better (for me) to just use the Steam Controller.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
OR just use any flat surface like your bed

That doesn't sound too comfortable, though. When I sit in bed with a wireless mouse and keyboard it is not a great experience. Either you sit up and get neck and back cramps or use a chair pillow. It's much better (for me) to just use the Steam Controller.
I guess it's cool someone found an use for a Steam Controller

Projas

Information Superhighwayman
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's like you are trying to get more tags.

Deleted Member 16721

You can point and click on the controller. The right trackpad acts like a mouse. Takes some getting used to but it's pretty nifty.

Not sure if I would use the controller just yet for games that require jotting notes in an in-game journal or something. Although it can be done with the Steam virtual keyboard, it would be best to keep a keyboard handy for that. But for other games with minimal typing of phrases/words/etc., it's pretty nice. :)

Deleted Member 16721

You'll convince me only if you're able to play ToME4 with steam controller.
Otherwise it is bullshit.

Roguelikes like Nethack and ADOM would be tricky. While theoretically it is possible to map many, many controls to the controller, you would likely need to switch Action Sets during the game and what not. So it's definitely possible but also may take some time to set it up and may take a lot of practice to learn. I am just guessing, though.

For your average CRPG it works great. So far I've mapped Ember, NWN and now P:ST:EE to the controller and it works great.

Deleted Member 16721

If anyone is genuinely interested in my exploration of the Steam Controller, I have a thread of impressions on RPGWatch, a small review on Steam and a copy of the RPGWatch thread on my Steam group. Feel free to stop by to chat about it. No BS, the controller is great. It shocked the heck out of me. I bought it to see if it could really play old-school CRPGs and I have been very pleased with it for that. I even do silly things like use it as my desktop mouse sometimes.

Flame away but you might be missing out. It's a very advanced and nerdy device.

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
I just tuned in to fluent's Suikoden III playthrough, and he has a soothing voice. Plus his name is Matthew, so he's a total bro in my book.

:love:

Deleted Member 16721

I just tuned in to fluent's Suikoden III playthrough, and he has a soothing voice. Plus his name is Matthew, so he's a total bro in my book.

They need a love/hug button for posts here. :) :love:

Suikoden III is an all-time favorite of mine. Love it. Hope you enjoy the LP! :)

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent

Must be a queer thing. I tuned in and had to turn it off due to an overwhelming urge to kill. I get the same reaction from PewDiePie, except this one was more droning than fabulous.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom