Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

My Steam Controller profile is up

• Thread starter Deleted Member 16721
  • Start date

Hobo Elf

Arcane
My Steam Controller profile is up. I made it to be consistent with my other configurations. The game is 100% playable with it and it controls quite well. I also kept it simple and did not add Quick Slots or anything like that. It has the basic UI functions such as Inventory, Character Sheet, Journal and Map, as well as an Attack toggle, Quickloot (controlled by simply touching the left trackpad), Highlight Items button and so on. Mage and Priest spells are a button press, and to search the journal or name a save file I added a keyboard feature. Long press the analog stick to bring up the keyboard (haptic feedback triggers to let you know when to release the stick.), and the 'A' button confirms key presses. The analog stick also controls the camera.

Enjoy. :hug:
Playing a pointless and stupid cash grab edition with an equally pointless and stupid control scheme for the genre. Nice.

Deleted Member 16721

Playing a pointless and stupid cash grab edition with an equally pointless and stupid control scheme for the genre. Nice.

So I take it you've personally used the Steam Controller extensively with CRPGs then to decide it is pointless and stupid? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it after using it for 50+ hours of CRPG gameplay as I have. Games that otherwise would require a keyboard and mouse, like 30+ hours of an NWN module, 10+ hours of the recently-released CRPG, Ember, and now PS:T:EE. Feel free to post your findings on my Steam group if you'd like, I'm sure they are interesting. :)

Hobo Elf

Arcane

So I take it you've personally used the Steam Controller extensively with CRPGs then to decide it is pointless and stupid? I'd love to hear your thoughts on it after using it for 50+ hours of CRPG gameplay as I have. Games that otherwise would require a keyboard and mouse, like 30+ hours of an NWN module, 10+ hours of the recently-released CRPG, Ember, and now PS:T:EE. Feel free to post your findings on my Steam group if you'd like, I'm sure they are interesting. :)

I don't need to finish KOTOR 7 times with the Steam controller to know that it's trash. It's an awful fucking controller that failed at its main purpose: to make PC oriented games more accessible with the controller. Even worse, it's a piece of shit to play with controller exclusive games as well, like fighting games. It takes a special kind of person to feel smug and proud over sampling shit for 50+ hours, though.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Take a day to set up a game with the controller instead of using the keyboard and mouse for which the game was designed and will always work better on. Indeed, such a great and useful thing to do. Everyone throw away your keyboards right now.

flatulent never ceases to amuse.

Deleted Member 16721

I don't need to finish KOTOR 7 times with the Steam controller to know that it's trash. It's an awful fucking controller that failed at its main purpose: to make PC oriented games more accessible with the controller. Even worse, it's a piece of shit to play with controller exclusive games as well, like fighting games. It takes a special kind of person to feel smug and proud over sampling shit for 50+ hours, though.

So how long did you use the controller before coming to this conclusion?

Deleted Member 16721

Take a day to set up a game with the controller instead of using the keyboard and mouse for which the game was designed and will always work better on. Indeed, such a great and useful thing to do. Everyone throw away your keyboards right now.

No, keep the keyboards, they are handy. But you can download profiles that are already made by the community by nerds like me who spend time programming the controller in advance. :)

Not sure about "working better on" when I'm playing CRPGs and enjoying them a lot with the controller. Once you get used to the controller it works just fine.

Of course, if you plan on doing a competitive speedrun for PS:T:EE or some other CRPG ( :D), I'd probably just use a keyboard and mouse.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
But you can download profiles
Once you get used to the controller it works just fine.

Why would one go through all that ON TOP of paying for the controller when you already have everything needed to play the games, same things used for everything else one does on the computer?

Because you are a retarded shill, most likely, trying to convince everyone to use the same shitty devices he uses from the NVIDIA Shit to the Shit Controller.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

So how long did you use the controller before coming to this conclusion?

Do you need to eat shit to know that it's shit? Regardless, I tried it for around 30 minutes or so.

pippin

can we please stop talking about that fucking steam controller? the situation is depressing enough as it is to have a retard on top of it shilling for that faggotry

Deleted Member 16721

Why would one go through all that ON TOP of paying for the controller when you already have everything needed to play the games, same things used for everything else one does on the computer?

Because it's fun? Oh, and I replaced my mouse with the Steam Controller. At least for now.

Regardless, I tried it for around 30 minutes or so.

Not even close to enough time to figure it out.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Not even close to enough time to figure it out.

Predictable and gay, just like everything you post. I've been playing games with a controller for more than 2 decades and I don't need to spend much time to tell if a controller is crap or not. Besides, I didn't even need to spend a second to figure this out. The general consensus is that the Steam controller is a dud.

Deleted Member 16721

Predictable and gay, just like everything you post. I've been playing games with a controller for more than 2 decades and I don't need to spend much time to tell if a controller is crap or not. Besides, I didn't even need to spend a second to figure this out. The general consensus is that the Steam controller is a dud.

Really? The Steam page has a 9/10 rating with over 4700 reviews, Very Positive. - http://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/ - Not that I pay attention to a consensus anyway, but you brought it up so there you go. :)

Do you only play an RPG for 30 minutes before ditching it? That's sad if so. There are RPGs that didn't pick up until a few hours in, sometimes even more. I would expect a more thorough examination from someone on a hardcore RPG site than that.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Really? The Steam page has a 9/10 rating with over 4700 reviews, Very Positive. - http://store.steampowered.com/app/353370/ - Not that I pay attention to a consensus anyway, but you brought it up so there you go. :)

Do you only play an RPG for 30 minutes before ditching it? That's sad if so. There are RPGs that didn't pick up until a few hours in, sometimes even more. I would expect a more thorough examination from someone on a hardcore RPG site than that.

Yeah it says Overall: Very Positive (4,690 reviews), yet, when you scroll down it you'll see that there are Positive (8,281) Negative (2,088) reviews. Not sure how the Steam review filter works. Those numbers aren't exactly stellar with how much Valve tried to shill the controller along with the Steam box. They were hoping that everyone was going to buy it. I nearly did, but after trying it, nahh.

Sometimes 30 minutes is enough to test an RPG. There are games that are just shit and shallow and what you see is what you get. A game like Arcania, for example. It's so shallow and the game expreience doesn't evolve beyond what you are shown in the first 30 minute tutorial. I was stupid enough to play it longer but I don't feel like it validates my opinion over someone else if they came to the same conclusion as me within 15 minutes of playing the game. But I digress, a game is not a controller. Playing with a controller is not the same as trying to decode the mechanics of a deep RPG or strategy game. If a controller doesn't sit well and the input feels off right off the bat, then it's not good. You'll get used to it after a while, but that doesn't mean that it's good. With human adaptability we can get used to virtually anything.

Deleted Member 16721

Yeah it says Overall: Very Positive (4,690 reviews), yet, when you scroll down it you'll see that there are Positive (8,281) Negative (2,088) reviews. Not sure how the Steam review filter works. Those numbers aren't exactly stellar with how much Valve tried to shill the controller along with the Steam box. They were hoping that everyone was going to buy it. I nearly did, but after trying it, nahh.

Sometimes 30 minutes is enough to test an RPG. There are games that are just shit and shallow and what you see is what you get. A game like Arcania, for example. It's so shallow and the game expreience doesn't evolve beyond what you are shown in the first 30 minute tutorial. I was stupid enough to play it longer but I don't feel like it validates my opinion over someone else if they came to the same conclusion as me within 15 minutes of playing the game.

But I digress, a game is not a controller. Playing with a controller is not the same as trying to decode the mechanics of a deep RPG or strategy game. If a controller doesn't sit well and the input feels off right off the bat, then it's not good. You'll get used to it after a while, but that doesn't mean that it's good. With human adaptability we can get used to virtually anything. A good controller feels like an extension of your hands and not something you need to

The controller is so different than anythihng else before it that that 30 minutes is just not enough time to test it and even begin to figure out its workings. There are many things that don't give a great first impression, RPGs, movies, music, whatever. Yet with more time spent you start to unlock their genius and could end up really liking them after awhile. The Steam Controller is no exception. The Xbox 360 controller or Dualshock 4 look like rocks with sticks on them in comparison (not only design-wise but functionality-wise as well.)

To put it simply, if a reviewer spent 30 minutes with an RPG, a controller, a console, whatever, that would not be a very thorough review. Hell, at 30 minutes with the Steam Controller I was completely lost. It wasn't until spending several hours using it as well as programming it and learning what it could do before I was converted.

And converted I am. The thing is a marvel of technology. Years ahead of everything else. It is sort of like the Shield tablet that I've discussed before. Technology that is so out of left field and new that people are confused by it and dismiss it. I know, I did the same thing at first. But then upon using it, a silly grin comes to your face as you say, "Oh, THAT is why this thing is awesome!" Happened with the Shield and now with the Steam Controller for me.

Hobo Elf

Arcane

Sometimes 30 minutes is enough to test an RPG. There are games that are just shit and shallow and what you see is what you get. A game like Arcania, for example. It's so shallow and the game expreience doesn't evolve beyond what you are shown in the first 30 minute tutorial. I was stupid enough to play it longer but I don't feel like it validates my opinion over someone else if they came to the same conclusion as me within 15 minutes of playing the game.

But I digress, a game is not a controller. Playing with a controller is not the same as trying to decode the mechanics of a deep RPG or strategy game. If a controller doesn't sit well and the input feels off right off the bat, then it's not good. You'll get used to it after a while, but that doesn't mean that it's good. With human adaptability we can get used to virtually anything. A good controller feels like an extension of your hands and not something you need to

The controller is so different than anythihng else before it that that 30 minutes is just not enough time to test it and even begin to figure out its workings. There are many things that don't give a great first impression, RPGs, movies, music, whatever. Yet with more time spent you start to unlock their genius and could end up really liking them after awhile. The Steam Controller is no exception. The Xbox 360 controller or Dualshock 4 look like rocks with sticks on them in comparison (not only design-wise but functionality-wise as well.)

To put it simply, if a reviewer spent 30 minutes with an RPG, a controller, a console, whatever, that would not be a very thorough review. Hell, at 30 minutes with the Steam Controller I was completely lost. It wasn't until spending several hours using it as well as programming it and learning what it could do before I was converted.

And converted I am. The thing is a marvel of technology. Years ahead of everything else. It is sort of like the Shield tablet that I've discussed before. Technology that is so out of left field and new that people are confused by it and dismiss it. I know, I did the same thing at first. But then upon using it, a silly grin comes to your face as you say, "Oh, THAT is why this thing is awesome!" Happened with the Shield and now with the Steam Controller for me.

Yeah, nah. As I said before: it fails at being an accurate input device for the games it was intended for and it fails equally as much at playing the games that are usually intended for a controller as well. Calling it a marvel of technology that is years ahead of anything is hilarious as fuck though. Do you get paid for your shilling or do you do it for free?

Deleted Member 16721

Yeah, nah. As I said before: it fails at being an accurate input device for the games it was intended for and it fails equally as much at playing the games that are usually intended for a controller as well. Calling it a marvel of technology that is years ahead of anything is hilarious as fuck though. Do you get paid for your shilling or do you do it for free?

I don't get paid. Terrible business model, I know. :)

If you spent more than 30 minutes with it you'd see how it is a marvel of technology. Go examine the software included with Valve. Explore it's functionality. Actually use the thing before drawing a hasty conclusion.

Again, 30+ hours with Neverwinter Nights. NWN! Did anyone ever think NWN would be playable with a controller? And now PS:T:EE. Yes, it's 2017 and I'm playing Planescape: Torment with a controller. Times they are a changin'. :)

You say it fails after using it for 30 minutes, I say it greatly succeeds after using it for 50+ hours. We will let the people decide. :D

Hobo Elf

Arcane

I don't get paid. Terrible business model, I know. :)

If you spent more than 30 minutes with it you'd see how it is a marvel of technology. Go examine the software included with Valve. Explore it's functionality. Actually use the thing before drawing a hasty conclusion.

Again, 30+ hours with Neverwinter Nights. NWN! Did anyone ever think NWN would be playable with a controller? And now PS:T:EE. Yes, it's 2017 and I'm playing Planescape: Torment with a controller. Times they are a changin'. :)

You say it fails after using it for 30 minutes, I say it greatly succeeds after using it for 50+ hours. We will let the people decide. :D

I know what the controller is capable of, if you mean the configs and such. The sentiment and idea isn't bad, but the execution of the hardware is poor for people who play controller games and it will never be as fast as precise as m+kb will be, at least not in its current form. If Valve would go back to the drawing board then they might eventually turn up with something good.
Out of curiosity, have you played games much with a controller or is this your first time? Liking the controller would go a logn way to explain that, since you'd have no frame for reference. A friend of mine likes the Steam controller, but he has never touched a real controller in his life. He also bought an Ouya so I'm not likely to take his word for granted in anything.

Deleted Member 16721

I know what the controller is capable of, if you mean the configs and such. The sentiment and idea isn't bad, but the execution of the hardware is poor for people who play controller games and it will never be as fast as precise as m+kb will be, at least not in its current form. If Valve would go back to the drawing board then they might eventually turn up with something good.
Out of curiosity, have you played games much with a controller or is this your first time? Liking the controller would go a logn way to explain that, since you'd have no frame for reference. A friend of mine likes the Steam controller, but he has never touched a real controller in his life. He also bought an Ouya so I'm not likely to take his word for granted in anything.

I have used many controllers over the years. Grew up with consoles like the Atari, NES, SNES and so on. But I would not say I am a huge fan of controllers when compared with keyboard and mouse. Since using keyboard and mouse for PC gaming, it is by far my preferred input device. I like it a lot.

Since using the Steam Controller, though, I am switching to the controller for all my gaming now instead of keyboard and mouse. Why? I just like it. A compact controller, easy thumb movement for the right trackpad trackball mouse, easy to reach functions and so on. I like how it feels.

I am not playing competetive FPSes, but I genuinely doubt that the controller couldn't be as accurate, if not moreso, than keyboard and mouse. It's certainly accurate enough for the other 99% of gaming, CRPGs included. The biggest problem, IMO, is Valve getting people to use the controller. Since it's so weird and new, people hesitate, are confused or try it for 30 minutes and send it back ( :P). The thing is very, very complex when you dig into it, and it's hard to just download someone else's profile and make a judgement based on that. It takes configuration to use comfortably. So that is the biggest drawback and also the biggest hurdle Valve has. The controller itself is outstanding.

It also is similar to the Shield tablet in that manner as well. Overlooked, poorly understood and ahead of the time, IMO.

Deleted Member 16721

Damn. As a kid I would have loved that! I had this -

tomy-turbo-racing-80s.jpg

agris

Arcane
Patron
fluent your taste is known to these forums and the state of California to cause cancer. plz remediate, may I suggest fire?

Deleted Member 16721

I burn in the fires of passion. When I like something I like to spread the Good Word. It happens to be the Steam Controller this month, but check back often for The Next Big Thing. :D

Repressed Homosexual
I actually feel terrible for Fluent, I think he said he is disabled and never really held a job. And since he is American and his parents don't have much money, it's had for him to get free or very low cost education.

Spending so much time isn't the answer, because there will come a day when your parents can no longer take care of you and you will be in real trouble.

The time you spend shilling for other companies for free, would be better spent trying to get some kind of degree that would allow you to be financially independent and to have a future.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Fluent why don't you stream on twitch, youtube is a dead plataform. You could apply to stream for GOG.

They have a streamer already but u could take the off hours.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom