Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware My World Map

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Yesterday and today I've been working on a game world map.

I've done it in this site https://rollforfantasy.com/tools/map-creator.php
And some touches I did it on Paint.

eW2j02I.png

Not finished yet of course.
The peninsula is proximately the size of vanilla Oblivion.
What do you guys think?

DJOGamer PT

Arcane

Like I said not done yet. Just the basic shape and very little geography.

I've decided to do this now because I am nearly finished the documentation of every aspect of the gameplay (enemies and AI is what's still lacks more work), and I wanted to do something other than writing.

And I've decided to post this, despite it's early stage (not sure if it was a good idea now), because I could use some cartography references and ideas.

Here's a numbered version of the map with the ideas I've got so far:

rXb7Suh.png

1. the land beyond the green line is another country (or empire, still undecided); the player can explore the little land that's visible on the map (the jurisdiction changes too); but venturing further then these borders will result in a game ending;
  2. A marsh/swampy land;
  3. A city; I am thinking of connecting a river between this and point 4.;
  4. A heavily fortified bay; with a Lighthouse, walls, ballistas; again a river connects to the city in 3., so this serves to control the influx of ships to the city harbor;
  5. A semi-arid region; like some the very dry regions we have in the Iberian Peninsula, but not really a desert like the Sahara, the Gobi or the ones in the Arabian Peninsula;
  6. An archipelago (I think I have to increase their size); that archipelago is the location of the only volcano in the entire game world;
  7. An obelisk in a cliff; I am thinking of making it a monument to the fallen soldiers of a bygone war.
And that's it for now...

Looks like a dick.

It doesn't give me that impression. However to west side of the land resembles a face to me.

vlzvl

Arcane
Developer
Islands placement seems quite symmetrical like 5 islands in the north and 5 in the sound.
You may want to remove some of those or change their places or their size, they look identical as well.

Falksi

Arcane

Like I said not done yet. Just the basic shape and very little geography.

I've decided to do this now because I am nearly finished the documentation of every aspect of the gameplay (enemies and AI is what's still lacks more work), and I wanted to do something other than writing.

And I've decided to post this, despite it's early stage (not sure if it was a good idea now), because I could use some cartography references and ideas.

Here's a numbered version of the map with the ideas I've got so far:

rXb7Suh.png

1. the land beyond the green line is another country (or empire, still undecided); the player can explore the little land that's visible on the map (the jurisdiction changes too); but venturing further then these borders will result in a game ending;
  2. A marsh/swampy land;
  3. A city; I am thinking of connecting a river between this and point 4.;
  4. A heavily fortified bay; with a Lighthouse, walls, ballistas; again a river connects to the city in 3., so this serves to control the influx of ships to the city harbor;
  5. A semi-arid region; like some the very dry regions we have in the Iberian Peninsula, but not really a desert like the Sahara, the Gobi or the ones in the Arabian Peninsula;
  6. An archipelago (I think I have to increase their size); that archipelago is the location of the only volcano in the entire game world;
  7. An obelisk in a cliff; I am thinking of making it a monument to the fallen soldiers of a bygone war.
And that's it for now...

Looks like a dick.

It doesn't give me that impression. However to west side of the land resembles a face to me.

You've even given it a bell-end now! :lol:

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
Islands placement seems quite symmetrical like 5 islands in the north and 5 in the sound.
You may want to remove some of those or change their places or their size, they look identical as well.

That because the site where I've has a small number of island so I had to mix them to look different. The placement is because I didn't want any big empty spaces. Still you are right and I'll have to work that out better. Thanks.

Arrr, I threw in a cute Kraken on yarr map matey!

This is fucking dope! How did you do it?

laclongquan

Arcane
1. Disc world or Ball world (Earth). Which is basically two most popular type of world. And if you choose ball you have to worry about the issue of going one end with turn out to be go back the other end.

2. Once you chose disc type, you have to worry about balance a bit. Too much land mass on one side like yours is will unbalance the plate. Spread it out on both side.

3. In a typical disc world type, there's a usually a spire like mass at the center. Or failing that, a circular sea at the center that represent something strike there long ago. make for a bit of background lore.

4. Careful with your cold zone. Cold zone form because it's generally far from sun year round. What type of sun your world is. Is it flying circularly around your world? In that case the edge is actually too hot and the center a bit too cold. Or if the sun is flying irregularly, then you can have your edge cold and your center area tropical.

There is a logic behind the placement of the zone and if you are careless, the details will hit you in the nose.

ortucis

Prophet

That because the site where I've has a small number of island so I had to mix them to look different. The placement is because I didn't want any big empty spaces. Still you are right and I'll have to work that out better. Thanks.

Arrr, I threw in a cute Kraken on yarr map matey!

This is fucking dope! How did you do it?

Here, mess around with the PSD. I only spent a few mins working on it, but you can get three versions of the map (Merged folder) quickly.

Last edited:

redactir

Artist Formerly Known as Prosper
I see a dragon baby with its leg caught on a shore. it is surrounded by spots of blood caused by struggling to free itself.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom