Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mysterious Castle

Trash

Pointing and laughing.

That name alone reminds me of the rpg's I played in my childhood. Mysterious Castle is labelled a 'tactical roguelike' which in practicality means you're playing a party based stat driven rpg in a randomly made world. It has a rather kewl art style to it and seems to be going places. Anyone here played it?

Edit: Demo link for the lazy.

Trojan_generic

Magister
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming!
There is a demo of it for download, but might not run well under Win7 64-bit. I will probably try when I get the chance.

Self-Ejected

Excidium

P. banal
I played it some time ago and it's p. cool, combat is more developed than your average RPG and it's a phone game.

It ran just fine on w7 x64, I think it just lacked sound.

Skittles

He ruins the fun.
Looks like it has some nice tactical considerations in combat, from the Player Guide.

Downloading the demo.

Thanks for the post.

spectre

Arcane
Gotta check this out. Been following it for some time, and it seems that it's finally got a working Windows version. Yay.

Damn, downloading this is a bitch. Spent two hours waiting for the download link.
Anyways, learn from my mistake people, rather than refresh youe email account, just go to their main page and use the Game Downloads tab to get the DL link with no fuss.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
I think I've won the demo. I entered the Castle and battled through to a golden chest... that I can't open. The rogue isn't able to pick the lock and there were no keys to be found (checked all chests and corpses generally and double checked on the enemies in the castle). So I've won but my final triumph/loot has been denied :( a moral victory at least :D

Anyways, the game seems quite fun... for what it is ;)

r6kyx6a6.jpg

MisterStone

Arcane
So is it in fact a party-based roguelike? Is it stat-heavy? Random loot/maps? Does it compare to roguelike classics?

spectre

Arcane
Played it a bit until I got tastefully raped by 6 armored orcs. Pretty fun. Unfortunately, it has a nasty habit of crashing semi-randomly, once I rolled my third party it got stable for some reason.
Don't really know why, I vaguely suspect it might have had something to do with my party composition.

So is it in fact a party-based roguelike? Is it stat-heavy? Random loot/maps? Does it compare to roguelike classics?
See the screenshot above, that's basically all the stats you'll get. Standard D&D fare plus a few skills. No exp, no feats.
It's a fast and simple game, clearly intended for handheld devices. Not saying it can't be fun, because it is. Just don't expect it to be too deep.

The handheld heritage is mostly seen in the interface. It's a bit clunky and takes a bit to get used to, but nothing too horrible. Biggest gripe is that sometimes targeting is difficult.

It's fully randomized. Every time you start a new game, the map is generated from scratch. It keeps the save after you die, though. It definitely has strong roguelike features.

Magic system is fairly simple (only a few really basic spells, from what I saw) and uses ingredients - various mushrooms you find.

Character progression is handled through found loot and manuals that improve skills, stats and teach new spells.

Now, I ain't an expert on smartphone games, but compared to the shit I saw, it looks like it could be a pretty good game in its league.
Since it's free, I'd recommend trying it out for yourself. It a charming little game and the party based tactical combat is decent. Just, you know, don't expect it to deliver a deep rpg experience.
There are towns and you can talk to people (there are simple "go and kill that" quests, no vendors though, kinda explains the lack of money), but that's about it.

I'll be playing this a bit more once I finish work, so expect some more detailed impressions later.

eclectocrat

Novice
Hi, Developer here.

Mysterious Castle has some problems on some Windows 64bit systems, I'm working furiously to find and fix the issue, but in the meanwhile I don't suggest a purchase unless you can beat the demo without any crashes. As for fullscreen mouse pointer inaccuracy, you need to run the included Config.exe and disable widescreen, then the mouse should work just fine. An android version will come when I can afford to buy an android phone!

To the poster who thought they beat the demo when they found the treasure vault... nope! Still one more epic battle lies ahead!

The game is undergoing quite a bit of work, expect some big changes. Right now it's really just a roguelike, almost no RPG alements (story, dialog, quests), but my goal is to turn it into a randomly generated RPG. If you've got any questions or suggestions, I'm definitely open to them.

Oh yeah, the latest iOS version is awaiting apple's approval.

eclectocrat

Novice
I think I've won the demo. I entered the Castle and battled through to a golden chest... that I can't open. The rogue isn't able to pick the lock and there were no keys to be found (checked all chests and corpses generally and double checked on the enemies in the castle). So I've won but my final triumph/loot has been denied :( a moral victory at least :D

Hehe, that chest has no key. It requires you to pick it, but I think you used all the pick lock books on the halfling. Pick lock is actually an intelligence based skill, so the elf has a better chance of picking the lock. Don't sweat it, the stuff inside is pretty nice, but not essential. Once you've beaten the elves then you've 'won' the demo. But you should also make sure you've found and killed the vampire, just to be thorough.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Oh yeah I found him in the hidden cave and whooped his backside ;) I was lucky though, landed two critical hits in a row on the first try. Elsewise I would probably have fallen prey to him and right now there would be three bloodless corpses found by a travelling farmer on a roadside somewhere :D

Morkar Left

Hi, Developer here.

Mysterious Castle has some problems on some Windows 64bit systems, I'm working furiously to find and fix the issue, but in the meanwhile I don't suggest a purchase unless you can beat the demo without any crashes. As for fullscreen mouse pointer inaccuracy, you need to run the included Config.exe and disable widescreen, then the mouse should work just fine. An android version will come when I can afford to buy an android phone!

To the poster who thought they beat the demo when they found the treasure vault... nope! Still one more epic battle lies ahead!

The game is undergoing quite a bit of work, expect some big changes. Right now it's really just a roguelike, almost no RPG alements (story, dialog, quests), but my goal is to turn it into a randomly generated RPG. If you've got any questions or suggestions, I'm definitely open to them.

Hi. In the other thread you mentioned to have exp in the game and you want to give exp for exploring instead of just killing monsters. Is this still a planned feature?

Luzur

Good Sir
so is it random generated endless dungeons/wilderness or will there be actual towns etc?

also creation kit.

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Well, I doubt anyone on this forum cares about iOS or MacOS version, I'll be surprised if there's a single person on RPGCodex that owns one of these. We are rather interested in Windows/Linux/Android version (do you remember our reaction when you posted about this game when it was iOS only? :p )

eclectocrat

Novice
The experience for exploring won't happen soon, since there is no experience at all. Basically I wanted a non-violence dependent reward system, and the books fulfill that function. I'm going to be slowly introducing more geographic obstacles and puzzles, ala zelda, so that if you manage to cross the river or climb the cliff, you'll be rewarded with some books/weapons.

Currently 1 friendly village is generated, but there will be a much more complex world design in the next one.

As far as creation tools go... YES! You can press ctrl ` (control+backquote) right now to see the beginnings of an editor. You can actually make and export dungeon rooms which will be used in world generation right now, but there are lots of implicit IF's. I'll write a tutorial about using the editor at some point, in general I'd like to facilitate a lot of player generated content.

eclectocrat

Novice

Well, I doubt anyone on this forum cares about iOS or MacOS version, I'll be surprised if there's a single person on RPGCodex that owns one of these. We are rather interested in Windows/Linux/Android version (do you remember our reaction when you posted about this game when it was iOS only? :p )

Derp. Maybe someone got lost and stumbled into these forums looking for angry birds and the sims?

Konjad

Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
... and someone who plays The Sims is definitely interested in your game, yeah :p Just saying though, there's no harm in mentioning about that, although there's no point either.

As someone mentioned already: make the game a bit more challenging and non-combat experience award system would be great. It would be really awesome if I could play a party with no fighting skills, sneaking through enemies and stealing from their chests. Apart from that I think the combat should be a bit shorter - you could either raise the damage by 1.5x or lower the HP amount by about 30%. That would make fights both faster, more challenging and random.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
I have one iPod Touch and I would play the hell of it on it if I weren't broke, so there's that Konjad.

Konjad

Patron
I have one iPod Touch and I would play the hell of it on it if I weren't broke, so there's that Konjad.
I don't understand. What does playing a free game has to do with being broke? You can just donate money when you have the money, not necessarily now, when you're downloading it. I also haven't payed for it, I'll wait a bit longer when the game is a bit more developed.

Speaking of donations, I haven't sent any money to DF dev this year, perhaps it's high time to do my duty :salute:

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
It's not free on iOS

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom