Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Mythic Entertainment is dead

Exar Kun

Scholar
I remember how much WAR was hyped. It seemed like the first WoW killer people were taking seriously. I had some fun with the RvR at launch but the game itself was pretty much a mess. Back in those days I was not jaded at all to MMO's.... its crazy how much has changed.

Those guys were marketing genuises looking back at it. The hype around that game was massive, at least in the PVP community.

Last edited:

Turjan

Arcane
These people do not want to make games, they want to make a profit. And they have absolutely no problem to step over corpses to get there.

It's laughable that Jacobs now admits that WAR is 'flawed', when that is systemic, i.e. desired. WAR wasn't flawed. It worked exactly as intended.

When I saw the box price of TESO, I came to the same conclusion as you. Also, publishers have learned that it doesn't have any negative consequences. People bitch, but then go ahead and buy the next overhyped thing.

Hoaxmetal

Arcane
WAR was the only time I actively followed a game's development, I'm still butthurt about it :<

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
i know, i know, good riddance, etc. but actually, DAOC was good and well done, and it's a shame that this company went the way it went, we could have had good things, had they kept up the good work. DAOC is one of those games that belong in the "hall of fame" of gaming.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
i know, i know, good riddance, etc. but actually, DAOC was good and well done, and it's a shame that this company went the way it went, we could have had good things, had they kept up the good work. DAOC is one of those games that belong in the "hall of fame" of gaming.

DAOC is still running, the maintanance was lately transferred to broadsword games.

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014

DAOC is still running, the maintanance was lately transferred to broadsword games.

yeah i read that thread and stuff, i'm just saying that this company did something good, once, and the usual codex edginess is a bit unfair against these guys, even if it was a mmog, it was a good mmog.

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015

yeah i read that thread and stuff, i'm just saying that this company did something good, once, and the usual codex edginess is a bit unfair against these guys, even if it was a mmog, it was a good mmog.

well, mythic certainly did good, then they spend all their cash on a project that never made it and got bought out by EA as a result. the mythic that made daoc isn't the mythic that made war. these people didn't ran a charity but a business. there is no reason to bemoan their loss from a consumer perspective.

people make games, not brand names or IPs.

Bulba

Learned

lol have u seen what they did to dungeon keeper? I've seen the screenshots...

Duraframe300

Arcane
Stop ragging on Boll, I actually thought there were some seeds of potential quality in Postal and Iron Sky...problems stem from lack of ability and too much crass undergrad 'humour' to make the good outweigh the bad.
An acknowledgement that Boll produces dreck isn't even ragging on him. The man intends to produce dreck. He does it on purpose for a tax loophole. It's not even known if he CAN produce a good movie, because this is not even his goal.

P. Much

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
http://ultimacodex.com/2014/06/myth...ame-prototypes-and-another-classic-franchise/
Mythic’s Final Months: Seven Game Prototypes and Another Classic Franchise

Llamaherder dropped a comment on the last article about Mythic, noting that former Ultima Forever lead designer Kate Flack had made a number of additions to her LinkedIn profile.

This morning, I was wondering what happened to Kate Flack, who was the Lead Designer for Ultima Forever. I was able to find her public resume on LinkedIn and it shows that starting in August 2013, she has been the Lead Designer for Mythic’s “Mobile Prototype Team.”

Her job description for that role says:

Managed a 4 man team to create 7 major unity game prototypes over 10 months.

Developed a prototype team structure based on 2 week sprints and regular hockyapp/testflight build releases for internal gate review.

Worked closely with product managers, marketing and product strategy teams to identify strong licences and genres ripe for prototype exploration.

Created pre-greenlight prototype and pitch documentation for a free to play mobile reboot of a classic EA franchise.

Gave multiple presentations at internal training conferences, including a ‘Best in Track’ award winning presentation on Mobile Prototyping.​

There’s a lot, potentially, to unpack in those statements.

First off, it should be noted that all of the above transpired between August of 2013 and the closure of Mythic, which…yeah, was about a ten month span. And in that time, Kate and her (small!) team put together seven game prototypes, all evidently using the Unity engine. It’s not clear whether these were seven separate attempts at prototyping a free-to-play reboot of yet another classic EA franchise, although that seems to have been the aim. (Some of it may have been tied to the exploration of strong licenses to explore and prototype, however.)

Dungeon Keeper, the mobile game, was revealed in August of 2013, but I know first-hand that Mythic had been working on the game since at least February of 2013; I saw some design concepts for it while I was there. Indeed, I made a Skype call home to my family from the room, just off of the break room and the Ultima Forever team area, that had been reserved for its development meetings. The game soft-launched in October of 2013, and went into wide release just prior to Christmas.

And I just re-installed Dungeon Keeper to confirm that Kate Flack is not listed anywhere in its credits. She isn’t.

So…what to make of all this? I am beginning to suspect — especially given the shutdown of Warhammer Online and the transfer of Ultima Online and Dark Age of Camelot to Broadsword Online Games — that the writing may have been on the wall for Mythic for quite some time, or rather that the studio was under significant pressure to deliver a hit after Ultima Forever. And while all indicators seemed to suggest that Dungeon Keeper was doing well, Mythic seems to have needed to come up with something more. And when they couldn’t — or didn’t, within a certain time frame — the studio was closed.

Llamaherder also notes that Kate Flack wasn’t the only one to change jobs last August:

Carrie Gouskos was the Producer for Ultima Forever for a while, but she also had a job change in August 2013. She became Mythic’s Director of Studio Operations.​

I think, if there’s any point in time at which we can say that Ultima Forever stopped development, August of 2013 was it.

Direwolf

Arcane
Stop ragging on Boll, I actually thought there were some seeds of potential quality in Postal and Iron Sky...problems stem from lack of ability and too much crass undergrad 'humour' to make the good outweigh the bad.
An acknowledgement that Boll produces dreck isn't even ragging on him. The man intends to produce dreck. He does it on purpose for a tax loophole. It's not even known if he CAN produce a good movie, because this is not even his goal.

Rampage was decent, even by normal standards. If you take into account that it was made by Boll, the movie was a masterpiece.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
i hate boll, but actually liked postal.
Jesus, did Mythic really fuck things up that badly?
there was this feature where the pve zones would have contested zones in them where pvp was supposed to happen. those zones also had exploration objectives in them and collectibles, but were also level restricted. when a player above the max level entered, he would be turned into a chicken, preventing usage of any abilities (despite level scaling being in the game and working, like scaling lower players up for battlefields). the elf starter (i think it was) zone had its contested zone on an island and in the cliff were small caves with secret switches for some miniboss. you could swim into one of those caves when exploring, turn into a chicken inside and become stuck there (since apparently chickens are bigger than swimming humans and unable to get out) until a gm actually bothered to respond and got you out. it wasn't the only location where you could get stuck like that. the official policy was to warn people that they shouldn't go where they aren't supposed to (in a game with a fuckton of hidden randomized lore collectibles, no less) and tell them that they would get banned if they continued (though no idea if anyone actually ever got banned).

Last edited:

Mangoose

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
"Thankfully" DAOC is still running via the indie Broadsword studio (aka partnership with EA lol)

TheGreatOne

Arcane
After the first 2 weeks of WAR I decided to reroll on another server when I switched from Warrior Priest to a Squig herder and the server I started playing at was a ghost server already by then. During level 11-32 I think I attended 2 or 3 battlegrounds. I still enjoyed the experience quite a lot, even though I almost never saw anyone else. Even in the main city I only saw like 10-15 people.
I guess I was easily amused. I saw more world PvP by returning to WoW and hanging around at Isle of Quel'Danas (best thing about TBC by far)

Last edited:
4EXCKXS.jpg

is a fickle god whose favour comes and goes, as WAR found out. I still remember all of the fun I had with my Magus though... sigh.

Ermm

Erudite
HOTD was the only watchable Boll movie, because it truly felt like it was made by a complete idiot (mind you, not crazy, but just plain stupid). An idiot, who had been given a total control over the final product, which, unknown to the aforementioned idiot, made everyone else who watched it a little bit dumber than previously.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom