Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Nahlakh and Natuk

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The balance is a bit off in the game, with Spiders being the most difficult enemies so far. Dragons are weakling in comparison, at least the regular green ones.

Has anyone noticed that if your spell casters carry or wear any Iron items their spell casting fail more often?
So it seems giving your non spell casters all the Iron gear may be a good idea, and give your spell casters Anti-Magic gear instead. Problem is I have only found one Anti-Magic item so far in the game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
So what is the point of the Clone spell?
Cloned warriors have no items, so they are useless.
Also, both the original and the clone have their ST halved, meaning you don't get an extra spell casting power unless you are loaded with Potions of Rejuvenation.
Am I missing something?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The balance is a bit off in the game, with Spiders being the most difficult enemies so far. Dragons are weakling in comparison, at least the regular green ones.

I spoke too soon.
The battle against Drauglak and his army of Ancient Dragons has been the toughest one in the game so far, and one of the hardest ones of any CRPG I've played. I must have spend about 5 hours with this fight, and prevailed on the 10th or so attempt.
In one of the fights Drauglak hit my best fighter so hard that he skidded right across the whole battlefield before being chunked.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Has anyone noticed that if your spell casters carry or wear any Iron items their spell casting fail more often?
I have asked myself this question, but still do not know real answer. I think it's a fluff.

Am I missing something?
Oh yes, you are. Clones are magnificent decoys, it was a key for me to winning one very special battle.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Oh yes, you are. Clones are magnificent decoys, it was a key for me to winning one very special battle.

You mean using clones as targets for enemies that chunks even your best fighter if moving adjacent? I think my rather useless archer (still haven't found a Bow or Crossbow that can damage heavily armoured enemies) is a prime candidate, since I'm already using him as a mule.

Regarding Iron and spell casting I'm pretty sure Anti-Magic items also lesses chances of spell casting.
And looking through my screencaps I see an NPC mentioned that mages never wear Iron.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
You mean using clones as targets for enemies that chunks even your best fighter if moving adjacent?
Yup
And looking through my screencaps I see an NPC mentioned that mages never wear Iron.
That's i called it a "fluff". Dunno real it or not. Do you really saw increased spellcasting failures? Interestig, very interesting.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Seems like I've come to the end of the line.
I can't defeat those 13 Skeletal Dragons and 3 Arch Liches in the Ice Palace.
I takes 20 attacks from my best fighter, armed with a Flaming +7 Holy Greatsword, and quadruply buffed, to kill just one of the dragons, and that is after dispelling their amour buffs. And my other two fighters have sold the +5 Silver Axe and +5 Silver Broadswords they were carrying, thinking there would be no more undead to deal with. The weapons are gone from the shops, but I don't think they would do much damage anyway.
Just one hit from a dragon will chunk any of my characters.
Even the liches take like 10 KorYaCors to kill one of them, and of course my archer is totally useless against any of the enemies.

How the hell are you supposed to beat these enemies?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
OK, my party retreated, went back to town, got rid of as much weight as possible to increase Movement and used the proceeds to buy as much ST as possible for my spell casters. All four now have 95 ST; I don't know if that's more or less than normal at this stage.
I found that the battle was not quite impossible after all, but I'd say it's on par with 1000 Eyes from Wiz 7 and final battles in Pools of Darkness.
I only had one Rejuvenation Potion, and I discovered that I had a +5 Silver Axe after all, so only my Elf figher had a sub-optimal weapon.
I also lost my Dwarf Fighter quite early in the battle due him slipping on ice.
After a long fight there was only one Skeletal Dragon left and only my best Fighter having more than 1 ST. My tactic was to have him move toward the dragon, hit it 5-6 times and then retreat. But the fourth round of this happening I got overconfident, thinking the dragon surely must die now. But it didn't. Desperately my one spell caster still standing cast a Boulder spell. But...it didn't kill off the dragon. Instead my figher was immediately chunked by the dragon. I was left with my thief/archer/gadget guy, but he had nothing that could damage the dragon.
:x

mondblut

Arcane
Well, you almost did it. A few dozens of approaches more, and the challenge will fall!

(in b4 "next battle is 25 skeletal dragons and 5 arch liches", FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU) :trollface:

Lhynn

Arcane
This is one of the most interesting threads currently on the codex. keep the updates coming please.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Well, you almost did it. A few dozens of approaches more, and the challenge will fall!

(in b4 "next battle is 25 skeletal dragons and 5 arch liches", FFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUU) :trollface:

Doubt if there are more undead now. Unless the demon world is not an exclusive demons only world.
Do you remember how far you got on your playthrough?

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Just beat the 3+13 on the third try with no casualties.
Guess I overestimated the battle somewhat. As long as you are very careful and do the right "moves" it's doable. Fortunately the Skeletal Dragons are stupid enough to rely on their breath attacks, when their melee attacks would have made pulp out of the whole party in short time.

mondblut

Arcane
Doubt if there are more undead now. Unless the demon world is not an exclusive demons only world.
Do you remember how far you got on your playthrough?

Not that far. The last battle I remember was some kind of frost-breathing dragons shortly after reaching the final dungeon, so you must be ahead of me there.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
The Demon world is fucking ridicilous.
Every step you take you risk taking damage, and my priests drop just trying to cast a healing spell. And when running into monster they insta-chunk my best fighter.

EDIT: Oh well, after several tries, using the Heal Up command instead of manually casting spells, I got the whole party up on their feet again, and things seems to have "stablized". I'm using the map of the Demon world to find the final dungeon, but it's hard to make out what is what. One general advice I read somewhere was to stick to the rocks, which I have done.
Avoiding encounters all together seems impossible, but the ones I've fought so far has been easy enough, with low level enemies in demon form.
Casting high level spells seems impossible, and buff are dispelled as soon as you walk one step on the overland map.

BTW, did anyone ever find that self repeating Crossbow?
Best I've found was a +4 Iron Arbalest, but with no Bolts it's not much use in the Demon world.
I don't think I ever found any Iron Sling or Iron Bow.

Last edited:

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Congratulations! You are so close, don't fuck up. Final battle is ridiculouser than all demon world.
BTW, did anyone ever find that self repeating Crossbow?
Chu-ko-nu? My archer had it for most part of the game.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
My quest is nearly at an end.

b4JdB6W.jpg

Will we find The Holy Grail inside, guarded by French Demons?

First encounter was suspiciously easy.
Then I met some of those dreaded spider demons, but one thing is better about the Demon World: there are not armies of enemies. Well, not so far, at least.
Inside the black castle I experience the first crash of the game; DosBox crashes instantly when I try to cast the Dispel Evil spell.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Yay! Victory at last!

zLZvcmr.jpg

uxgojLF.jpg

Nahlakh himself was weaker than I had thought, even though only my fighter with the +5 Holy Sword was able to damage him physcially.
So I ended up using my two other fighters as "clones", but surprisingly enough he didn't him them.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Congratulations!

So I ended up using my two other fighters as "clones", but surprisingly enough he didn't him them.
Heh. I remember him stronger, then. Used a shitton of clones, because his attacks were deadly.

BLOBERT

FUCKING SLAYINGN IT BROS
Patron
Codex 2012
BROS JUST WANTED TO THANK YOU HOMOS FOR THISE THRAED

DOWNLOADED NATUK TODAY MAYBE WILL TRY THAT AND HELLHERON NOT SURE ILL TRY NAHLAKJ

BROS NOT TO GET ALL GAY ON YOU GUIYS AND SHIT BUT TOPICSD LIKE THIS ARE A REASON I LOVE THIS PLACE

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
Been playing Natuk, another great game I discovered here, thanks dudes.
I like how you gain new spells by finding books but also by copying enemies' spells and sometimes deducing.
I don't know which system I like the most but it's very cool that equipement and related skils finally work differently from in Disciples Heroes Of Steel, the two games are great and different.

I encountered Movlosh and died horribly. So far I roammed about 10 caves, with 2 I can't manage to beat yet (one with ice giants, ice wolfs an trolls and another with bears and giants).

I haven't played his other games yet but I definitely will.

Last edited:

CryptRat

Arcane
Developer
So I just beat Natuk, the ending is cool.

Regarding enemies, games like Pools of Darkness or KOTC are probably better with especially many more brutal spellcasters or other giant spiders with various effects (but vampires are very cool, totally not impressed by what I had to propose from summoning demon to mass paralysis), but overall it's one of the combat games I've enjoyed the most.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Gotta get around to Natuk - played a bit with the default parties but now I want to make more "optimized" characters because yeargh they are shit.

TigerKnee

Arcane
Maybe I'm looking in the wrong place, but are there any mirrors of all of Tom Proudfoot's games? His website seem to have went down.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom