Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Naked Lunch against the forces of evil

LlamaGod

Cipher
AmazingSteve, Fuck off. You too, Exitium.

Exitium|WZ - Feargus, do you suppose I could help out in the creation of Fallout 2? *cough Id love to cough*. Like we had that talk on #baldursgate =). Oh and serious question, do we actually live a life in the game? As in get married, sleep, eat, drink and all that unimportant stuff left out from Fallout 1. 1 more question after this...
Feargus - Umm, we are making a game. :)
Exitium|WZ - Oh and about the Fallout 2 Editor, will you still release it? There are some of us here who have talents to adventure beyond other peoples abilities..such as the Unwashed Villagers =)
Feargus - I am not a big believer in the sleeping, eating, etc.. stuff that some RPG's put in there.
Exitium|WZ - Feargus, yeah I know, im talking about helping you guys with weapons =)
Feargus - That seems a lot like micromanagement that people get bored with.
Exitium|WZ - True.
Exitium|WZ - I hate micromanagement.
Feargus - Some of that stuff is going in.
Exitium|WZ - Say, is that offer to help you guys with characters and item names still on?
Feargus - Sure, just e-mail me at furquhart@interplay.com
Meghan - Thanks Exitium :)

AmazingSteve

Novice
Twinfalls said:
So, AmazingSteve, which was your favourite part of Morrowind?

Being able to enchant things by yourself, although the skill system was kinda screwy. You had to get it up ridiculously high before it was any real use, and it was hard to increase a skill when it was useless. And yes, I see the trap.

Lumpy said:
AmazingSteve Meister?

Shibba-shibba-wha?

LlamaGod said:
AmazingSteve, Fuck off.

Fair enough.

onerobot

Scholar
FrancoTAU said:
Jesus, some of you newbies are making me want to take Exitium's side.

It's our solemn upheld duty to reduce your will to live a little bit every day and we take it seriously, damn it.

Anyways, I just wanted to point out the ongoing Shitstorm: Part Deux because it managed to put a glimmer of hope in my shriveled heart about FO3, particularly the part that mentioned an old interview at DAC.

Here's a quote from the interview by Todd, of all people, that's really surprising since it suggests that they actually know what makes Fallout a good game:
Todd Howard said:
"Fallout really set the standard for me on believable people, good dialogue, and character choice and consequence."

Of course it really doesn't mean a hell of a lot as he could very easily be talking out of both sides of his mouth, as he loves to do, which would make sense as Bethesda could just package up a FPS with stats and 800 vaguely interesting quests, let the ADD take hold and make more money with much less effort than it would take to make a Fallout proper. They could also screw up really important chunks of the game, as they equally love to do.

On the other hand, tons of people even outside of Fallout's rabid fanbase would despise them for selling out and they probably wouldn't make enough of an additional profit to make up for it, which is important as it's their primary motivation. If I were to get stupidly optimistic I could also make a case that Oblivion's whole purpose was to underhandedly obtain enough funds and gather enough attention to allow Bethesda a swan's song. While it's a dumb theory, it would explain why Todd's brain seems to have melted in the last two years.

Granted, I'm probably slowly slipping into dumbfuckery (or in the middle of it and too stupid to notice), but is there a possibility that Bethesda won't turn into the next EA and thus avert disaster? I can't sleep and this is weighing heavily on my mind for some reason.

spacemoose

Erudite
judging by previous work his version of 'character choice and consequence' is:

you've got a skillpoint to spend and you have a choice - put it in magicblasting or swordswinging

the consequence is you're either better at fireballing the orcs to death or you're better at hacking them to death. there are your choices and consequences

Sol Invictus

Erudite
What's better? Thanks to Oblivion's FaceGen system, you can now peer closely into the eyes of the enraged Daedra as he pummels you to death. Immersion guaranteed.

Saint_Proverbius

Administrator
Staff Member
Sol Invictus said:
What's better? Thanks to Oblivion's FaceGen system, you can now peer closely into the eyes of the enraged Daedra as he pummels you to death. Immersion guaranteed.

I'm still trying to figure out why they spent the time implimenting that in a first person/third over the shoulder CRPG. Given all the stuff that during development they said they couldn't impliment because of deadlines, the game has a facegen. Okay!

sheek

Arbiter
The ben guy said:
Really? I thought it was made by Bethesda. Are you trying to outdumb your other Codex buddy with vague, unsubstantiated and quite frankly idiotic bogus industry insider information? If they really did that, they would have shitcanned the single-player and attempted a MMOG. But, you're too myopic and fruity to even get that, like your pal who somehow forgot Chris Taylor made Total Annihilation and Dungeon Siege 2. As usual, it's the B and C Team who gets sent to do a forum raid. If RPG Codex was this dumb to a man, the site would have imploded 2 weeks in. Did you tell them about your pathetic, half-assed apology to me yet?

Notice that Naked Lunch doesn't respond. Come on give us the truth.

bryce777

Erudite
We all know the world is full of idiots. Unfortunately, now they all have computers.

I overheard some conversationt hat went something like I gots to get me sum a da [garbl garble?] sata 150 shizzle on my new box. Werd up.

Pretty funny, if the guy weren't being serious.

You can't make people unstupid, unfortunately. Most of the great rpgs would be hated today because it's pearls before swine.

onerobot

Scholar
bryce777 said:
You can't make people unstupid, unfortunately. Most of the great rpgs would be hated today because it's pearls before swine.

Exactly. Not to mention that you can just give them a ping-pong ball and they wont even notice the difference, plus it's bouncy so OMG BEST PEARL EVER 10/10 will buy again.

As far as Todd Howard goes: me thinking him some secret genius purposely gaming the system was just stupid. More likely he's a glorified play tester who can only avoid sounding like a complete idiot when other people put words into his mouth (funny how his most admired game seems to have switched mysteriously from Fallout to Final Fantasy) and the only hope left is that there are competent people at Bethesda (such as whoever it was that told Todd the right things to say in that interview) that wont let him mess things up as badly as he surely will. Then again that didn't really stop George Lucas...

Sol Invictus said:

Nevermind, hope crushed, back to strangling kittens for me. Record time, codex, record time.

bryce777

Erudite
"they wont even notice the difference, plus it's bouncy so OMG BEST PEARL EVER 10/10 will buy again." LOL

"More likely he's a glorified play tester" That is my take, too. He is just some fucking imbecile who can hardly string two words together.

Zomg

Arbiter
I'm always surprised at the level of consciousness-penetration of the Codex across the internet.

If only it weren't being promulgated by the craziest and/or youngest people here...

Twinfalls

Erudite
Yes, bryce should really be sent over in his space-age wheelchair to beat those whippersnappers into sentience with his silver-tipped cane. Hey nice word, promulgate, kinda wrong usage there zomgybaby but so frickin what eh.

Looks like Lunchboy and the QT3 bad-boy hugged and made up in the end - nooooooooooooooo......awww. Warms the cockles.

sheek

Arbiter
Not too efficient either. Their admins aren't answering my fucking registration email.

LlamaGod

Cipher
Sol Invictus said:

a flip-flop a flip to the flippy and you dont stop a flopping

Lumpy

Arcane
Saint_Proverbius said:
Sol Invictus said:

I'm still trying to figure out why they spent the time implimenting that in a first person/third over the shoulder CRPG. Given all the stuff that during development they said they couldn't impliment because of deadlines, the game has a facegen. Okay!
NPCs need faces too, you know.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom