Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline Name me the worst part of a game you remember most

Got bored and left

Someone has to mention Gothic 3 and the first notes of the combat music.

Any mention of Gothic 3's combat heavily triggers me. Like, I've endured some crap combat over the years, but Gothic 3 broke me. Man, fuck that game.

A user named cat

How about the god damn trumpets whenever you initiate and finish turn-based mode in Might and Magic 6? Playing through it now, starting to drive me up the wall.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
I played M&M 6 and further more than G3 yet trumpets in the latest trigger me more. Maybe because they play longer and more intrusive?

Krivol

Magister
First I've heard that guys responsible for good Morrowind will make a remake of Fallout (not knowing a thing about what was happening inside of company). I was excited.

Then I saw Oblivvion.

Then I saw Fallout 3.

Then I stopped playing games for almost a year.

bloodlover

Arcane
F2 Temple of Trials + Arroyo. Those area were sooooooooo bad. I was so happy when I finally left them behind me.

Arcanum's sewers weren't that bad. Not as bad as VTMB sewers anyway.

The Butcher from Diablo because I was a kid when I played the game on my PS, it scared the shit out of me and I always died.

Random parts from Resident Evil games come to mind due to the bad camera.

Durandal

Arcane
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
Thief Gold - They really dropped the ball on the final levels. For a game about thieving, the last levels should have belonged in a 3D platformer game, instead of a stealth game. Considering two of the last three are just reskinned previous levels with new areas and those annoying as shit beasts added in, Into the Maw of the Chaos is basically the towers in The Mage Towers presented as a linear stretch, it's just so dull. The levels look nice and I can dig the 'final level' feel it gives by using every established element in the game, but there's not much of a challenge here. How does Garrett get out of the Maw of Chaos anyways?
Halo CE - HOLY SHIT WHEN DO THE FLOOD LEVELS END
Marathon Infinity - There is a certain stretch you have to make in Infinity on one run, because you cannot save manually and have to rely on save terminals. First, you have to run past invincible invisible S'pht'Kr through a narrow corridor which is nearly always guaranteed to damage you. Then you can find a secret terminal, which leads you to a secret level, which is actually just part of the final level. However, the position you spawn in in this level is random, which is a bit of a problem. You can either spawn in front of the giant Juggernaut in the room (imagine a flying cyberdemon) who nukes your ass into oblivion, or next to a Hunter who starts shooting at you before you have time to react. This Juggernaut requires a fuckton of missiles to go down, and since you do not have your fusion pistol at that point (unless I missed a secret), dealing with all those Hunters can also be somewhat tricky, so you need to rely on your dual shotguns which chew ammo like Duke Nukem chews bubblegum. Either you get spawnkilled, or you can manage to make a run for it while critically damaged. There's an elevator which can help you escape, but then you have to deal with more Hunters in narrow hallways. Somewhere at that point you can find a shield recharger which will help you survive. Now, the reason why you would do this level is to get all the secret ammo. This is only worth doing on the hardest difficulty, Total Carnage, because you do not have a limit on the amount of ammo you can carry in Total Carnage. At this point you should be able to explore the confusing level without dying, and get all the ammo you can find. Then perhaps you can run past the Juggernaut and teleport out through the exit terminal. This wouldn't be so much of a problem, if this level had any save points, because it doesn't have any. The lack of a save point is what makes the next level beyond frustrating. What follows, is one of the shittiest levels in Marathon Infinity, Acme Station. It is just several straight hallways stitched together with bullet-spongy Cyborgs littering around. That wouldn't be so much of a problem, if this level wasn't a vacuum level. What that means, is that your oxygen supply slowly drains. It runs out, you die. On Total Carnage, the oxygen supply drains FAST. However, there are no oxygen supply stations in the level at all, which you can use to infinitely replenish your oxygen. You have to rely on oxygen tanks which are teleported in, meaning you need to move around every nook and cranny of the level to find one, which is even more stressing due to the fact oxygen is running out. There is only one save point in the entire level, which is a bitch to get to given the confusing layout and enemies blocking your way. And even if you manage to get to the save point, you most likely won't have enough oxygen left to get far enough in the level so you can find an oxygen tank, let alone that the enemies don't kill you. The most frustrating part? If you die, you need to redo ALL OF THIS, JUST FOR EXTRA AMMO. THIS IS BY FAR THE MOST FRUSTRATING SEGMENT IN A VIDEOGAME I EVER HAD THE DISPLEASURE OF COMPLETING, AND I SINCERELY DOUBT SOMEONE AT BUNGIE MANAGED TO ACTUALLY PULL THIS OFF ON TOTAL CARNAGE.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Thief Gold - They really dropped the ball on the final levels. For a game about thieving, the last levels should have belonged in a 3D platformer game, instead of a stealth game. Considering two of the last three are just reskinned previous levels with new areas and those annoying as shit beasts added in, Into the Maw of the Chaos is basically the towers in The Mage Towers presented as a linear stretch, it's just so dull. The levels look nice and I can dig the 'final level' feel it gives by using every established element in the game, but there's not much of a challenge here. How does Garrett get out of the Maw of Chaos anyways?

As The Mage Towers level wasn't in the original Dark Project release of the game, it's kinda unfair to compare The Maw of Chaos to that.

I understand your criticism about the 'reskinned' levels perfectly, by this point in the game I think most players are getting kinda worn out and want to see the endgoal, and that's precisely when the game decides to recycle old assets? They should have cut it back to one level that used the best of both levels - a run through the streets of the City as the Trickster's minions are attacking, culminating in a siege-like situation at the Hammerite compound, for example.

As for Garrett's escape - there's the little-known (and rarely talked about) Sphincter of Chaos that literally dumps people back into the real world.

Llama-Yak Hybrid

Wild Sheep
Dumbfuck
Mass Effect.

The whole game.

Seriously though - I always hated fucking AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA Vault City - Gecko shit. It was so fucking stupid.

T. Reich

Arcane
Arcanum - post-Stillwater world map travel if you are not a mage and didn't spec into teleportation. A huge waste of time with no way to get around it.
Gothic 1 - Sleeper's temple. Too long for its own good. Actually, the entire Chapter 4+ content is too damn long and it mostly consists of fetch+kill quests that take you all over mine valley with very little convenience travel available; and most of mobs between target areas are already dead anyway.
G1+G2+Risen - boss fights. Ugh. PB don't know how to make those, period.
Wizardry 8 - Both roads connecting to Arnika at the start of the game. High chance of getting entirely unfair mob spawns at this stage of the game.
Also, Rapax areas until the truce.
Divine Divinity - the goddamn endgame.
Divinity 2 - the dragon fortresses. At least they're optional.
Fallout: New Vegas - crafting. At least it's optional.

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The funniest thing about Letho is that he's probably the most dodge-heavy fight in the entire game, so once you've beaten him you've pretty much mastered how to evade sword swings and attacks by rolling around him. Then immediately afterwards you get access to the riposte skill and that just instantly invalidates it all by giving you an instant win counter every time you block.
Try playing as alchemy heavy build - all your pots are out the moment the combat starts lol.
In this vid I played sign heavy build and barely did any damage.

And the reward for beating him is a 'Fuck you, you didn't' from the cinematics. :lol:

Yeah, alchemy is the hardest to use early on, but late game it becomes really fun because of all the bombs you can make and spam.
The Draugr fight is bullshit though as an alchemy character. You have to go through a lengthy sequence first, so by the time you reach him you won't have buffs. You can't take potions when you meet the boss, so you still won't have buffs. An alchemy orientated witcher without buffs is screwed. Fortunately, I had a shiton of traps and bombs on me, so I could just lame it out and plant traps everywhere. It was still frustrating though, as I couldn't fight him directly without losing chunks of my health.

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Remember this game?

install_000.png

I ran through the mage guild quest quickly and realized one simple fact: the terrible risk vs reward they entail.
You can pick the 'Guard a fellow guild mate' quest and simply deal with 3 assassins that will trespass at night and gain a guaranteed magic item plus the equipment off the corpses.

Or run thru hell like this quest Where you spend upwards 30 minutes terrorized by the chittering noises of bats, rats and howling of skellingtons, find a safe corner to rest as you ration your mana to healing and hope to god you won't have to use that recall spell you've set back to the Guild until you found the quest objective and risk failure due to the time limit.

No matter. You slog thru, slowly creaking open doors, only to get smacked by skeletons or bitten by bats/rats. You take so many breaks in between to recover health, only to fear failure due to the constantly moving clock. You pick thru the loot, only to discard so many cause you can't carry a lot, and retracing your steps to the entrance where your wagon awaits is time wasted not finding the dude you were looking for.

Here's roughly how it goes..
Went into citadel. Three fork.
Went straight. Doorway on the left. Skeleton behind it. Kill it. Nothing inside. Moving on.
Huge hallway. Two statues. Ramp going up. Looks like there's two levels up.
Killed bats, rats, and cleared four rooms up top at ramp.
Absolutely nothing. Went back to entrance.
Turn left, underground passage. Looks promising.
Killed everything and rest as needed, tormented constantly by noises of beasts and shit.
Nothing. No sign of the noble. God. What am I missing?
Took the other fork. Short. Just a doorway. Nothing but boxes and stacks of containers I can't loot with 3-4 rats biting me everytime I took a turn. Fuck fuck fuck.
What am I missing?
Went back to the hall with two statues.
Hmm there's a skeleton now?
Oh it opened a secret door behind the left statue.
Killed it. Let's go. There's a switch here. Pulled switch.
Sound of stones moving. But nothing visible? Whatever, further exploration of underground passage....
Ugh. 4 room clear later...no noble...what's this? A red brick doorway? Huh? Teleported!
Back to the hallway. What the fuck...made me miss the rest of the underground passage. Going back down.
Huff puff...cibai. Nothing there.
Where.
Where is the noble.
Check log book.
The name of the dungeon is correct. What am I missing?
Returned to hallway with two statues. Looked up. Discovered the walls on top have lowered to form platforms towards the third hidden level.
Fuck you. That's what the lever does? Holy shit.
Climb - I mean hop pitifully up five platform and climbed the last ditch...up we go...4-5-6 skeletons later...
Holy shit, I'm not even sure if I'm up, down or top or bottom anymore. I'm just following passageways, creaking open doors. Killing shit. Fuck shit fuck. Low health. Can't rest with enemies around.
Oh my god. Room with TWO skeletons? I'll be back once I've rested.

At last, you found this guy. KIDNAPPED, and held in a structurally illogical dungeon filled with nothing but beasts and undead for ransom.

fall_001.png

fall_002.png

You shushed him, you don't care what he says anymore. You just want out. O-U-T. You cast Teleport, happy and proud of your accomplishment. And lo and behold, your rightful, deserved reward.

fall_003.png

:rage:

Last edited:

Wayward Son

Fails to keep valuable team members alive
The final two bosses of Dark Chronicle. They were so difficult, it took me and my brother a year to beat them. And then trying to beat the post-story dungeon. :negative:

CthuluIsSpy

Arcane
The Kill puzzles in Bloodrayne 2.
I like Bloodrayne 2. Its a fun game. But good god the kill puzzles are a poorly executed concept. Some of them are pretty good. There's one where you throw an enemy onto an exhaust pipe, and it propels him up into a big of machinery and you clog it with his meat. That's some delicious, ott Rube Goldberg esque hilarity.
Or that boss fight where you harpoon guys and fling them at the boss.

But then there's others. Like that area where you have to throw dudes at speakers, and it has to be done quickly otherwise it doesn't count.
Or the one where you throw those ninjas at a helicopter, but they deal a lot of damage, they can block harpoons and they are very fast. Its doable, but its really frustrating as you have to be able to line up a throw before getting knocked down by the other ninja, which happens all the fucking time.
Funnily enough, there's an glitch where you can just walk past the helicopter if you hug the wall close enough, and it counts as solving the sequence. I like to think TRI realized what a pain in the ass the scenario is, so they implemented an exploit so they can finish their own game.

I have something of a love-hate relationship with the mech sequence in BR1.
On one hand, its a hot dhampir chick in a WW2 experimental Nazi mech, and they change her character portrait to wear a pilot's head set which is a nice touch. There's some nice banter too between Rayne and the enemy tank pilots.
On the other hand, it handles like a piece of shit. You want tank controls? Play that sequence. Those are some tank controls, and you can barely hear the banter because of the loud motor and gunfire.
That said, she is driving an experimental 1938 (iirc) walking tank, so well played I guess?

Last edited:

baturinsky

Arcane
Remember this game?

install_000.png

I ran through the mage guild quest quickly and realized one simple fact: the terrible risk vs reward they entail.
You can pick the 'Guard a fellow guild mate' quest and simply deal with 3 assassins that will trespass at night and gain a guaranteed magic item plus the equipment off the corpses.

Or run thru hell like this quest Where you spend upwards 30 minutes terrorized by the chittering noises of bats, rats and howling of skellingtons, find a safe corner to rest as you ration your mana to healing and hope to god you won't have to use that recall spell you've set back to the Guild until you found the quest objective and risk failure due to the time limit.

No matter. You slog thru, slowly creaking open doors, only to get smacked by skeletons or bitten by bats/rats. You take so many breaks in between to recover health, only to fear failure due to the constantly moving clock. You pick thru the loot, only to discard so many cause you can't carry a lot, and retracing your steps to the entrance where your wagon awaits is time wasted not finding the dude you were looking for.

Here's roughly how it goes..
Went into citadel. Three fork.
Went straight. Doorway on the left. Skeleton behind it. Kill it. Nothing inside. Moving on.
Huge hallway. Two statues. Ramp going up. Looks like there's two levels up.
Killed bats, rats, and cleared four rooms up top at ramp.
Absolutely nothing. Went back to entrance.
Turn left, underground passage. Looks promising.
Killed everything and rest as needed, tormented constantly by noises of beasts and shit.
Nothing. No sign of the noble. God. What am I missing?
Took the other fork. Short. Just a doorway. Nothing but boxes and stacks of containers I can't loot with 3-4 rats biting me everytime I took a turn. Fuck fuck fuck.
What am I missing?
Went back to the hall with two statues.
Hmm there's a skeleton now?
Oh it opened a secret door behind the left statue.
Killed it. Let's go. There's a switch here. Pulled switch.
Sound of stones moving. But nothing visible? Whatever, further exploration of underground passage....
Ugh. 4 room clear later...no noble...what's this? A red brick doorway? Huh? Teleported!
Back to the hallway. What the fuck...made me miss the rest of the underground passage. Going back down.
Huff puff...cibai. Nothing there.
Where.
Where is the noble.
Check log book.
The name of the dungeon is correct. What am I missing?
Returned to hallway with two statues. Looked up. Discovered the walls on top have lowered to form platforms towards the third hidden level.
Fuck you. That's what the lever does? Holy shit.
Climb - I mean hop pitifully up five platform and climbed the last ditch...up we go...4-5-6 skeletons later...
Holy shit, I'm not even sure if I'm up, down or top or bottom anymore. I'm just following passageways, creaking open doors. Killing shit. Fuck shit fuck. Low health. Can't rest with enemies around.
Oh my god. Room with TWO skeletons? I'll be back once I've rested.

At last, you found this guy. KIDNAPPED, and held in a structurally illogical dungeon filled with nothing but beasts and undead for ransom.

fall_001.png

fall_002.png

You shushed him, you don't care what he says anymore. You just want out. O-U-T. You cast Teleport, happy and proud of your accomplishment. And lo and behold, your rightful, deserved reward.

fall_003.png

:rage:

There is basically three sane ways to play Daggerfall.

1. Cheat through random dungeons
2. Rejects quests with random dungeons
3. Play in a small province, so there is only a handful of big dungeons, so you can just memorise them all. Koegria has only 17 (without graveyards). Antiphyllos has three dungeons, as well as two big cities and temples of five deities and a knight order.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Dragon's Lair -- fire ropes cause it's the same button press each time, and the falling platform you have to jump off of. It's one of my favorite 'games' but those two parts are just lazy compared to the frenetic pace of other scenes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom