Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Natural Selection 2

Destroid

Arcane
It's looking pretty schmick. Not all the classes and features are in yet, but the visuals look excellent and it's seemingly quite playable, as they are already having clan matches in the beta.

Any fine Codexian Gentlemen playing in the beta?

Steve

Augur
It's completely playable but it is still a beta by all definitions of the word, I wouldn't recommend it yet unless you're a huge NS enhuasist and in that case you would already have the game.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I played the original mod. It was my favourite multiplayer mod for HL1.

This. I was also a big fan of Savage. I pre-ordered as soon as I found out about it (don't have the Black Armor though).
Unfortunately though the Beta Versions I tested were lagging very hard for me. My PC isn't really up-to-date, so I have to wait for either improved code, lower graphic options or enough money for a decent rig.

Anyways, I'm looking really forward to the release of this game.

Cassidy

Arcane
Vaarna_Aarne said:
I played the original mod. It was my favourite multiplayer mod for HL1.

It was quite lulz the first time I tried it(I threw myself in without reading a single manual nor playing any kind of tutorial), and one of the multiplayer games I mostly enjoyed ever. I played it for months, until shitty Steam decided to fuck up my legit HL1 CD-Key. Nowadays I steer clear of any game that comes with any kind of must be online DRM, and considering Steam has become even worse now than it was when it was shoved in HL1, I haven't bought one since then.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It was an excellent example of how to work a good game even with imbalanced teams. By making it essentially a race for your best stuff before the enemy, with the typical aim being for marines to get PAs and big guns and storming the alien base, while aliens just tried to get at least one of the rhino motherfuckers before the PA marines take them out, since one of those was so powerful it'd shake up the entire match before finally being killed. I guess you can't really call it imba after all, eh?

Destroid

Arcane
I've watched a bunch of the gameplay videos now, it's looking really nice. I had many of my very best videogaming experiences playing NS, it was truly one of the best games of all time.

Steve

Augur
Yes it's good and no doubt will be great when it's released but I wouldn't recommend it yet if you're looking for a serious MP game to dedicate a lots of time into.

There are usually 1-2 servers up with 14 players each, the game still has some performance issues, and they're testing and playing around with the game balance.

This game continues to look good. Great use of the Source engine. Er wait, I guess they're using their own custom engine, Spark? Interesting. It looks like the Source engine at least.

I played the first one, but never really found a server with the RTS elements working properly (or someone who could/wanted to do them). There were a bunch of servers with... I want to say objectives? And somehow there was no commander but you could still get upgraded gear. Maybe it was more deathmatch style. My memory is fuzzy on this one, but I do seem to recall railing around a space station with a jetpack spamming stuff with my grenade launcher. Definitely looking forward to this.

Destroid

Arcane
Yeah that was the combat mode that was implemented later. I never like it when things like that happen because it dilutes the authentic game with a mode that is easier and more relaxing to play, which siphons off a lot of the players from the more interesting standard game mode. This can be a severe issue if you live where I do and the player count is limited.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Early Shotgun rush vs Gorge rushing marines.

I liked it when the lifeforms were tied to hives, in that you could only unlock Fade with 2 and Onos with 3. Sure it could make the game hell if Marines locked down 2 hives, but if they locked down 1 hive, and couldnt get that siege farm in place to take out the second before everyone went Faderapist, it made the game more fun.

PA welding train was good fun, but I much preferred GL+Jetpack rambo to set up a hidden siege, or when base was overrun and a Burke-out was called (There was a clan that played with Aliens colonial marines character names, and a Burke out was when you would freak out, run and hide (and usually die, like Burke did in the film)) Id jump into a Kharaa resource harvester and crouch, eventually the skulks started jump biting them, and I would get found :(

Fucking awesome mod.

Destroid

Arcane
I played most of my NS games when lifeforms were linked to hives, and some more when they decoupled them. I wasn't playing much when combat maps came along. If marines locked down 2 hives they had a strong advantage in either case, the mod was designed such that it was a fair fight at two hives, if aliens got three they had a decisive advantage from strong abilities and if they got stuck with one even the Onos wasn't so hot.

My absolute most memorable game as a commander we came back from 3 hives and contained in marine start by bum rushing LMG marines at one hive to distract while I babied a lone JP+GL launcher marine and backdoored the other two hives before the aliens realised what was going on :lol:

Destroid said:
Yeah that was the combat mode that was implemented later. I never like it when things like that happen because it dilutes the authentic game with a mode that is easier and more relaxing to play, which siphons off a lot of the players from the more interesting standard game mode. This can be a severe issue if you live where I do and the player count is limited.

Fair, enough; the counter-argument would be that having such a mode makes it easier to attract players to the community. More players in the community means a bigger pool to pull from for the standard mode.

Destroid

Arcane
Yes, I have been playing it on and off, I need an upgrade to really play to it's fullest (it's pretty hard on the CPU). Good game.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
How is it relative to NS1? Any major changes? Maps still non-linear-ish? Anything you don't like? Anything you don't like that's unlikely to be changed or fixed?

Destroid

Arcane
It's quite different from NS1 in a few fundamental ways, the biggest change being resources. In NS2 team resources and personal resources are seperate for both teams. Players purchase guns, equipment and evolutions with personal resources, while the commanders purchase structures with team resources. Personally I think this is a bad change (makes the game more symmetric), but I can see how it would work better in pub games (I almost never played pub in NS1, just the same group of guys). The maps are typically smaller than NS1 (still non-linear), although some people have started porting NS1 maps into NS2, Veil being the first one. There are some smaller changes to the weapons and classes, but the resources is the biggest change to me. Also there is an alien commander.

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Angelo casts Thread Necromancy.

So apparently because I pre-ordered waaay back I have received another copy of NS2 for free as Steam gift. Hit me up if you want it. Please don't be a jerk and only go for it if you really are interested in playing the game - if I find out you are trading the copy for TF2 Hats I'll send the Lithuanian hitmen squad on yo ass. http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561197975007107

/e: And it's gone

Multi-headed Cow

I'm actually interested! I dunno if I'd get really into it since I generally don't play a ton of multiplayer FPS these days, but I did play and enjoy the HL1 mod back in the day. If NS2's similar and has a decent amount of players that could be cool.

Edit: Many thanks and brofists to Angelo! Gonna eat some spehss mehrines. :salute:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom