Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Natural Selection 2

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Y'know, I have to say I'm tired of dumb Gamespot reviews where the stuff listed in "Bad" in no way justifies the poor score.

Load times are a little long
Kinda takes a while to get into
I don't like the footstep sound
hurr -4 points!

Like, what the dick? Do they know what a 6/10 actually means in vidyagaem land? Basically means it's SHIT.

That having been said I haven't actually played NS2 so it may very well be shit lolwaitwut

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Y'know, I have to say I'm tired of dumb Gamespot reviews where the stuff listed in "Bad" in no way justifies the poor score.

hurr -4 points!

Like, what the dick? Do they know what a 6/10 actually means in vidyagaem land? Basically means it's SHIT.

That having been said I haven't actually played NS2 so it may very well be shit lolwaitwut
What the fucking fuck?
Load times too long - Ok, true.
Kinde takes a while to get into - You are a stupid dumb fuck who cannot into a game which is not a dumbed down console shooter.
I don't like the footstep sound - FUCK YOU!

NS2 is one of the best multiplayer shooter from a long time. Giving it 6/10 basicly says that people, don't play it, not that good. And you know what, the people who give a damn about gamespot reviews are stupid dumb fucks, it is better for us NS2 players if they don't taint the servers.

Multi-headed Cow

They sure do. Look at this screenshot I took of NS2 with medium texture quality and no ambient occlusion enabled.
http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/918994036617609330/A826E05F6C4BFCB767024059AC5142D369432C6D/

Now look at this what I can only assume is an entirely legitimate screenshot of real world gameplay in Halo 4 and not, for a wild example, bullshots taken at four times the game's actual resolution.
http://images.eurogamer.net/2012/articles//a/1/4/9/2/6/8/1/e32012_halo4_campaign7.jpg.jpg

I mean damn, how many more polygons are being used in the NS2 assault rifle? Who even uses polygons any more, this is 2012! All games are 2D and just use very fancy textures! Gawh!
And don't even get me started on the dynamic lighting coming from the floodlights on those exosuits. That shit just doesn't fly.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
That commander's name.
Uh.

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
I dated some graphics once... I got really hurt, I don't know if I can love again...

2/100 would not Select Naturally

:doritos:

Angelo85

Arcane
Patron
Looks like someone forgot to send Doritos to Gamespot.
The game is really awesome is all I can say, best FPS I have played in a long time. If you are into team-based/coop games it should be on your Christmas wishlist :D
Also looking at metacritic (I know, I know) Gamespot basically is alone with their opinion, 9.3 User Score and 91/90/80 out of 100 from three other "professional" sites.

/e: at least the readers of Gamespot agree that the Review is fail in the comment section.

Dexter

Arcane
Cool Infographic: http://www.pcgamer.com/2012/11/08/natural-selection-2-infographic/

Natural-Selection-2-post-launch-stats.jpg

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron

hurr -4 points!

You have to read between the lines, man.

-We had to buy our own review copy.
-They didn't buy ad space
-Doritos/Mtn dew drama scares us. If we give a game a low score, will we look credible?

6/10 - Check out our Halo 4 exclusive review!

"Pulling" reviews is a disgraceful coverup to an already disgraceful situation. An institution with integrity would let it stand.

Destroid

Arcane
I don't care what number they gave the game but it is pretty stupid to have factual inaccuracies in their review, I mean, writing this shit is their job if they can't even get that right...

Multi-headed Cow

Oh my god. 11 hours in and I just learned that you have to select the upgrades you want to use when you're playing alien. They aren't automatically applied when researched. I have deeply shamed myself. Can't even remember if it was like that in NS1 or not since it's been so long.

Also played 3 rounds as a commander this evening, twice as marine once as alien. Felt guilty playing commander without a mic but people didn't seem interested in commanding and I have fun with it so what the hell. Won one of the marine games since the team was good about communicating and grouping together so we were able to solidly hold on to shit as we expanded which let me research and build like a motherfucker. Alien game we lost partly due to commander incompetence (Will take me a bit more to get a good handle on alien commanding) and party due to the team not grouping together. I've noticed that a lot actually, aliens benefit from mobbing up even more than marines do. Didn't help we were playing veil and nobody pushed the double resource room or the easiest secondary hive. In fact one guy was bitching about us not expanding to a particular room while I kept telling him there were marines in there and nobody was going there to clear them out. Harumph. Final marine game was lost though we put up a good fight, aliens just out resourced us. Another game on veil and another case where the team didn't push hard enough for the double resources. We had it in the beginning but then the whole team spread out and we eventually lost it again, for good that time.

Even the losing games were fun though. Despite a fair number of people dropping as soon as a round starts going bad, I kinda enjoy the scramble to regain ground and/or prolong the inevitable.
Additional brofist to Angelo for passing the game on to me. Not playing as much as you but I enjoy it when I do!
:bro:

Edit: Oh, just checked. New Gamespot review of NS2 is up. They gave it an 8 this time!
http://www.gamespot.com/natural-selection-2/reviews/natural-selection-2-review-6399998/

Destroid

Arcane
The ragequitters are easily the most annoying aspect to the NS2 community right now. It might be prevented if there was a more explicit surrender mechanic.

Multi-headed Cow

Patch notes for 229. Unfortunately didn't fix my connection issues yet.

Fix
  • Nutrient mist won't display for Marine Commanders when they do not have line of sight anymore.
  • Fixed issues when downloading a mod on the server that didn't contain a valid title.
  • Fixed Flamethrower damaging the owner.
  • Fixed bug causing the pistol to sometimes lockup, preventing the player from shooting.
  • Fixed various crashes when a system runs out of video memory.
  • Fixed issue where pre-evolving eggs were not valid for respawning.
  • Fixed bug where resource would be lost if the Commander clicks on pre-evolve on an egg which had already a player assigned.
  • Fixed bug causing Mines to give Marines weld orders after they had taken damage.
  • Fixed hallucinated structures appearing unbuilt.
  • Fixed bug where Commander Alerts were not 100% responsive to player input.
  • Fixed issue where the main menu would be displayed for a single frame when launching the game directly into a map or a server.
  • Fixed bug causing weapons to "teleport" back to where they were last equipped when a Marine dies.
  • Fixed error in the dedicated server documentation specifying how to create .htpasswd files.
  • Added detailed error messages when a .htpasswd file is not properly constructed.
  • The game will no longer allow switching to a map that doesn't exist (causing all Clients to be disconnected)
  • Fixed bug causing the Command Station to display the "Start commanding" help text while unbuilt or while the team already has a Commander.
  • Fixed bug causing the Hive to display the "Start commanding" help text while unbuilt.
  • Changed the default Taunt key to T instead of Q to prevent a conflict with Request Health.
  • Fixed Server script error caused by a game ending while the teams were unbalanced.
  • Fixed issue where a mod could crash the game by specifying an invalid index when querying the list of servers.
  • Fixed issue where requesting the server list could overflow or crash some modems.
  • Fixed rare problem in the Main Menu caused by the options file becoming corrupted.
  • Fixed bug where mod names would sometimes be displayed as ???
  • Fixed bug in the "Quick Join" feature.
  • Fixed bug where mods could not be installed through the web administration interface.
  • Fixed bug where regeneration effect was visible while cloaked.
  • Server Browser: "Filter Modded" checkbox now saved.
  • Fixed Hydras not interacting with nutrient mist.
  • Fixed Couldn't open "" error message.
Improvement
  • Fixed Flamethrowers not creating flame residues.
  • The "connection problems" icon is displayed in yellow or red depending on the "severity" of the problem.
  • Replaced script error with a warning message when a server config file is ill-formed.
Optimization
  • Improved bloom performance (thanks Alexander Szpakowski!)
  • Fixed bug where all models in a level were loaded twice during the loading process.
  • Load-time optimization: Caching some pathing data, so loads should be faster after loading a map for the first time.
  • Added a hint for the NVIDIA Optimus driver to use the high performance GPU.
Sdk
  • Fixed crash and added an error message when the bones for a model don't match the model that is being referenced for animations.
  • Fixed crash when loading a COLLADA file exported by OpenCollada.
  • Added Client.GetServerIsSecure function to determine if a server has VAC enabled.
  • Added an optional callback function to Client.RefreshServer.
  • Fixed issue where passing invalid value to some script functions would report a script error, but continue execution.
  • Added Client.GetServerIsModded and Client.GetServerTickRate functions.
  • Added Client.RequestServerDetails function which must be called before a server's key/values can be queries.
Api
  • Added a version of Server.SendNetworkMessage() which takes a ServerClient object instead of a Player entity.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom