Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Natural Selection 2

Destroid

Arcane
They didn't fix gorge bile bomb damage stalling the gorges celerity :x

GreatPretender

Educated
Someone post here when NS will be on sale for 10 $ or 5$. Not shelling out 40 $ for a MP only mod rip off that's pretty much vaporware it was so long in development.

Multi-headed Cow

But that isn't correct at all!

Grimoire is abandonware, AoD is vaporware, NS2 is shovelware!

Fix'd for ya
NoOneTouchesMyPile4.jpg

Kane

I have many names
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
RPS review:

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/11/23/wot-i-think-natural-selection-2/

Actually, there are two brains in Jim Rossignol. One of these brains has spent years playing games with organised teams, in games like Quake III, through Planetside and Arma II, and off into the awkward realms of MMOs. This brain is one that appreciates teamwork, cohesion, organisation, competition. It’s a brain which, when exposed to Natural Selection 2, sees one vision of how this game would really be worth playing: with a team that I had become familiar with, with regular competitive nights, as part of a clan that took things a little more seriously than the folks who just drop on to public servers for a quick blast.

This brain also feels uncomfortable with Natural Selection 2, because it realises it will never actually experience that level of play. It knows I haven’t played enough of this game. I never will. I am not going to get into serious NS2 play. I just won’t. There’s too much else out there, and it’s not the laser-point perfect place where I want my serious gaming energies to go. In another life – and for other people – it most certainly will be.

There’s something like an irony in the name, too. Because Natural Selection 2 doesn’t seem like an evolution, it seems like a very specific and directed act of creation. Unknown Worlds willed this into existence, and it was a very deliberate attempt to create a game and a community to serve a specific desire and way of playing. Few games reek so pungently of dedication and obsession to a cause. This is one. And it’s a cause I believe we need to support. Let’s do that.

Multi-headed Cow

"This is one. And it’s a cause I believe we need to support. Let’s do that."

When people were posting Xcom previews and such RPS was pulling the same shit with that. Don't know why it rubs me the wrong way, but it does. This vague "I don't really like the game but I like the idea of the game so you people reading this should go buy it so someone somewhere may notice people bought the game and will make a better entry in the genre only basically nobody does things like that so I'm just wasting your time and possibly your money. Tea and biscuits!" nonsense raws my news.

Along those lines, you failed to quote this part I see.
My second brain, well, that’s one which has eased, over many years, into a sort of casual appreciation of most games. Almost anything is worth dropping into and dabbling with, even if you aren’t going to get the true reward of full-blown competitive commitment. This brain gets a lot of use these days, because it’s the brain which, while Brain 1 was obsessive over this or that specific game, was tasting everything else on the menu. I sampled things for the sake of criticism, and I sampled things because they were worth seeing.

Natural Selection 2 is worth seeing, but to this second brain it does not stand out as a major highlight in a world with so many classed-based shooters, RTS aspect notwithstanding. That said, I have not failed to enjoy any single session I played. While the servers aren’t perhaps as many and as populated as I’d like, the game always offers something. It’s brilliantly crafted – right down to the FPS counter on the graphical options screen, so you can see what impact your changes are making – and that alone makes it, for me, a game that deserves to sit in my games library forever.

So he's complaining that you can't drop in and play NS2. As a horrific game-dabbler myself I can tell you that's complete bullshit, the only reason you couldn't drop in and play NS2 is if you end up against a teamstacked team. Then you're basically just fucked, but that can be said about almost any team FPS.

Fucking RPS.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
One of the major inspirations for Natural Selection. Basically played like ns combat maps.

Watching that I can see the inspiration of NS. The tight claustrophobic corridors and enclosed spaces, the lighting, colouring and atmosphere is really dark and dangerous. The speed however is off the rails, NS never felt that fast for me (though I never could bunnyhop properly) and is looks to me very twitch gaming oriented, which is sadly lacking in todays market. Havent played much of NS2 yet, but I can certianly feel the sentiments in the RPS article, NS1 was very much a competitive game, there was a pub scene, but its a pub scene so very much a mixed bag of high and low skilled players.

I feel sad that I came to PC gaming somewhat later than others, I did get to play TFC and action quake 2, but its nothing on the early days. :(

Destroid

Arcane
Played some of the new CO mod today, good fun, and is especially valuable because it lets you practice technique with the less used lifeforms like Fade more.

Multi-headed Cow

Big update releasing today/tomorrow (Thursday) as well as an upcoming 50% off sale. Hopefully this'll get more people playing since it's glorious.

Multi-headed Cow

No idea on aussie servers, but it peaked at 1,500 players today (Being the middle of the week and with no sale running or anything). So... Enough you can find games but it'd be nice if there were more. Certainly hasn't completely died.

Multi-headed Cow

The game is lovely and the community is great. Despite being more complex than other shooters the community is way friendlier to newbies than most. You'll still get assholes occasionally of course but most people just roll with it and provide protips.

Zewp

Arcane
Codex 2013
And how is the game and the community itself?

The game is pretty good and the community is surprisingly mature. As a newbie player, people were more willing to help and give me tips than go 'OMG you noob lrn2play!'

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom