Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NBA2k17 - The Ultimate Sports Rpg

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard

A lot of todays RPGs could learn from that character creation screen....

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
No, they couldn't, because there is nothing in common between ''character stats'' in sport sims and rpgs. Stats for sport sim players have been more copious since forever, because there are more physical aspects to define. NBA 94 or first ISS/Pro Evolution football games were ''better rpgs'' too, so why focus on this years basketball simulation franchise?

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
No, they couldn't, because there is nothing in common between ''character stats'' in sport sims and rpgs. Stats for sport sim players have been more copious since forever, because there are more physical aspects to define. NBA 94 or first ISS/Pro Evolution football games were ''better rpgs'' too, so why focus on this years basketball simulation franchise?

I've never seen an rpg where editing your body height weight or wingspawn would affect the stats of your character....

For example height could affect how NPCs react to you, weight how many action points you get and wingspawn you good you are with melee etc......

And from what i see here height and weight affects 19! stats

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
No, they couldn't, because there is nothing in common between ''character stats'' in sport sims and rpgs.
Yeah, because sports games manage to make action gameplay based on character skill actually work whereas almost all RPGs that attempt the same come off as utter trash. Everyone who thinks about making an RPG with nonsense like "a higher Firearms skill means that guns do more damage" should kindly go fuck themselves and then try to learn a thing or two from the best sports games before touching another RPG ever again.

I don't really care about basketball as a sport, but it's easy to appreciate the NBA 2k series because of its depth and the effort that was clearly put into it.

Gnidrologist

CONDUCTOR
I've never seen an rpg where editing your body height weight or wingspawn would affect the stats of your character....
That's the point. Sport sims are 100% about showcasing physical abilities and interactions between a bunch of little doodles on a single tiny map, which you see all game long every game and nothing else, EVER. RPGs never had luxury to focus on such a tiny aspect of interactivity. Engines of sports games are also specifically crafted for that one function and nothing else. Imagine playing Fallout in one of the cells of Shady Sands fighting off raiders and radscorpions and that would be all there is to do. Guess then they could have more time to develop combat system, various stats and how they effect the gameplay, but i guess it wouldn't be much of an arpeegee then, would it?
Sports games are often utterly awesome, but comparing them to completely different genre based on one aspect that is genre defining for the former and only a wee fraction for the later is asinine. Could as well complain that combat in rpgs is not as good as in fighting games.

Higher Animal

Arcane
That's the point. Sport sims are 100% about showcasing physical abilities and interactions between a bunch of little doodles on a single tiny map, which you see all game long every game and nothing else, EVER. RPGs never had luxury to focus on such a tiny aspect of interactivity. Engines of sports games are also specifically crafted for that one function and nothing else. Imagine playing Fallout in one of the cells of Shady Sands fighting off raiders and radscorpions and that would be all there is to do. Guess then they could have more time to develop combat system, various stats and how they effect the gameplay, but i guess it wouldn't be much of an arpeegee then, would it?
Sports games are often utterly awesome, but comparing them to completely different genre based on one aspect that is genre defining for the former and only a wee fraction for the later is asinine. Could as well complain that combat in rpgs is not as good as in fighting games.

I'm pretty sure you choose your role in NBA 2k series. So it's an RPG.

What a great successor to Underrail. Codex is truly the prestigious magazine it once called itself.

jimmy_pvish

Savant
How are the flopping mechanics? Is it reaction-based or can you increase it via stats?
There are "drawing foul" stats , the more you have, the more ref will calling foul in your favor.

And for this game, there are not just nearly 100 different stats for how good each players are at each tasks.

There are another 100+ "tendencies" stats, which tell how each players react in each situation when you aren't control them.

Or in other word, all NPC (1,000+) have their own unique AI.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom