Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Necessary technical prep for New Vegas

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
Edit for visibility:

EVERYONE ABSOLUTELY SHOULD INSTALL THESE, UNLESS YOUR MACHINE IS A DECADE OUT OF DATE; THEY'RE THE BARE MINIMUM FOR STABILITY, BUGFIXES, AND PERFORMANCE ON MODERN MACHINES (should remain valid through at least 2020 and beyond, unless a newer/better version of one of them is released):

Original post:

I ran several forum searches for a New Vegas megathread, but there doesn't seem to be one. There isn't an all-in-one modding thread, either, but instead a variety of different threads in various states of oldness and decay. The only remaining choice is to start a new one.

When I say "technical prep," I basically mean "making sure the game doesn't run like a janky piece of shit before I start playing it."

According to my Nexus Mods account, I last downloaded New Vegas Script Extender in January of 2013, so my best guess is that I last played New Vegas in March of 2013. It's been five years, give or take, so I've mostly forgotten the dozen or so things one must do to ensure the game doesn't run like a janky piece of shit.

So far, I've installed the latest NVSE, and modified the .ini (all three of them, although I think the read-only .ini is the one the game actually uses during play) to set iPresentInterval=0 and force v-sync off. Even after five years, I still remember the necessary iPresentInterval tweak.

What I want to know is:

• Do I still need to install one of those 4GB fixpack things to force NV to utilize a remotely modern amount of RAM/utilize multithreading? If so, which one?
  • Do I need to install one of those "stutter remover" mods? If so, which one?
  • Is there a community fix/patch/restoration pack of some kind that I'm unaware of?
  • Anyone know where to find the most up-to-date rundown of each entry in the .ini files?

I remember getting New Vegas to run beautifully back in the day after hours of work. I'm hoping someone has done the same, but more recently, and can refresh my memory. Thanks.

Last edited:

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
I swear to God one of these days I need to do fully modded install of FNV and like burn it on DVDs and bury it in a yard or something. Just so I don't have to go through the fucking process of figuring out all the mods every few years when I get my FNV itch.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I swear to God one of these days I need to do fully modded install of FNV and like burn it on DVDs and bury it in a yard or something. Just so I don't have to go through the fucking process of figuring out all the mods every few years when I get my FNV itch.

Pretty sure we've all felt this way at some point, but do we ever do it? Nope.

Currently the game's running <90 FPS (my monitor has a 144Hz refresh rate) in exteriors and everything's a tad jittery when moving the viewport, which is obviously completely ludicrous on a machine with my specs that should be able to run the game at approximately 900 FPS. I remember experiencing a similar phenomenon years ago (though on a 60Hz monitor), which I eventually managed to fix.

I could start experimenting with adding stutter removers and shit, but I'd rather ask first.

Trashos

Arcane
Last played it a few months ago. Tried to keep it as simple as possible. My major gameplay mod was JSawyer Ultimate.

I used a 4 GB mod successfully, but don't remember which one. I remember I read logs and nexus forums before I made a choice.
You do need the Anti-Crash mod. I tried to avoid it initially, but that was stupid and was eventually forced to use it.
Didn't use the anti-stutter mod, just because. I did have some stutter.
If you prefer robustness to coolness, you should probably avoid the open-area mods.
No matter your bug fixing mods of choice, you are going to need a fix (workaround, rather) for the energy headshot achievement (bugged, keeps giving you XP for every headshot when you are using energy weapons).

Last edited:

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Well, I used a search engine to find the most popular/updated 4GB large ass aware mod, and also to find the most popular/updated stutter remover, both on Nexus Mods.

Installed both following the instructions meticulously, launched with the NVSE launcher, and the game now runs at 130-144 FPS constant and looks extremely smooth with absolutely not even the tiniest amount of stutter/jitter whatsoever.

I suppose I now need to install an anti-crash mod, that one UI mod to slightly ameliorate the tragically consolized UI, and whatever else I typically install. I might install an all-in-one texture pack mod, but I like to keep mods fairly minimal unless they're needed to make the game not be a janky piece of shit.

Why the fuck haven't Obsidian released a technically updated version of New Vegas themselves? I'm not talking about a whole overhaul, just fundamental stuff like what I'm doing manually right now. The Steam version doesn't even have 4GB LAA by default. Why? The percentage of people who won't benefit from that tweak must be infinitesimally tiny at this point.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Why the fuck haven't Obsidian released a technically updated version of New Vegas themselves?
Because they worked on New Vegas in a dev-for-hire deal and no longer have the ability to change anything about the game. Ask Bethesda instead.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron

Thanks for that. I would probably have installed Mission Mojave instead of Yukichigai, and JIP LN NVSE reads like it includes some excellent optional fixes as well.

Guess Darnified isn't the only game in town anymore. What about UIO? Vanilla UI Plus only mentions it briefly. There are some mods I'm considering installing that seem to depend on UIO. Edit: Nevermind. In the actual fomod desc, it says that UIO "obviously should be installed as well."

Because they worked on New Vegas in a dev-for-hire deal and no longer have the ability to change anything about the game. Ask Bethesda instead.

I knew about the deal, of course... don't think I realized that they were unable to touch the game anymore, though.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
Thanks for that. I would probably have installed Mission Mojave instead of Yukichigai, and JIP LN NVSE reads like it includes some excellent optional fixes as well.
There's also the Unofficial Patch Plus, which has a few more fixes.

Guess Darnified isn't the only game in town anymore. What about UIO? Vanilla UI Plus only mentions it briefly. There are some mods I'm considering installing that seem to depend on UIO.
I forgot about UIO. I don't remember if Vanilla UI Plus alone needs it, but it's probably a must if you want to install multiple UI mods.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
This may be the fiddliest single mod I've ever installed in my entire life, but I made sure to do it right the first time and the reduction in :prosper:already seems well worth it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/54460?tab=description

8343543d22.png

Master

Arbiter
Was thinking of replaying NV myself (just to make sure its shit of course). Thinking back one of the best mods was Electro City
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/37908
Puts functioning street lights alongside roads. It really adds to the game if you combine it with darker nights mod.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Good Christ, the majority of people who use ENB/SweetFX/other shit are fucking blind.

This looks like melted crayons covered in a thin haze of dried cum. This is from a year ago, and this is from a guy who wrote an in-depth .ini guide. It's a good guide, but who the fuck looks at this and thinks it's better than default?

2c3beae1c1.jpg

Master

Arbiter
Dont use ENB and ShitFX. For graphics just add Nevada Skies
https://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/35998
storms dont just look pretty but affect PE and stealth, both yours and NPCs. Radstorms are like blowouts from STALKER and you need to find a shelter and wait it out(they last 2-3 hours)
Combine it with Electro City and you get something like Stalker for little kids.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I've just gotten through the worst game-related troubleshooting suffering of my life.

Characters were randomly "bopping" up and down in the game. I'd noticed the [FootIK] section of the .inis, and I suspected the "bopping" might have something to do with some setting that controls their foot placement; but then I noticed that when I switched to third-person view, all NPCs instantly stopped bopping. I therefore began combing over FOV options, culling options, and such like.

But nope, it was FootIK. I finally learned that there was a tfik console command to toggle FootIK. Observe (also pls no bully, I type around 80-90 WPM usually but I had my keyboard pushed back):

Good riddance. It was supposed to make stepping up onto corners and so on look more realistic, but in reality was always janky and shitty even when it wasn't causing characters to bop like morons for no reason.

On the plus side, my .inis are now VERY thoroughly configured since I researched the shit out of virtually every item.

mbv123

Arbiter
I've played through Vegas numerous times with Unofficial patch (have probably like a few hundred hours clocked in overall) and I've yet to see a single game breaking issue. Sure, there's some shit like enemies glitching through the ground sometimes or the occasional crash but that's because Gamebryo is shit. Nothing that would stop me from completing a game or a quest (that wasn't my fault anyway), granted, I don't play with shitty ENBs and bloat mods like Project Nevada, so that helps too.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Good Christ, the majority of people who use ENB/SweetFX/other shit are fucking blind.

This looks like melted crayons covered in a thin haze of dried cum. This is from a year ago, and this is from a guy who wrote an in-depth .ini guide. It's a good guide, but who the fuck looks at this and thinks it's better than default?

2c3beae1c1.jpg

Welcome to Fallout Neverending Vaseline.

mbv123

Arbiter

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
The Brazilian Slaughter You don't need to play Fallout 3 for completeness any more than you need to play FO:BoS for completeness. Neither are actual Fallout games.

Bethesda failed to understand anything about the Fallout universe, other than the barest of superficial basics—and what they didn't accidentally fuck up through ignorance, incompetence, and lack of creativity, they fucked up on purpose to suit their braindead development style and also their braindead audience.

They fucked the series up so completely that nothing was left untouched. Super mutants? Dumb sci-fi orcs, that's all. The Brotherhood of Steel? They're holy paladins, out to protect the innocents of the wasteland. Post-apocalyptic theme? LOL! Look, a wacky nuclear bomb town, ROFL! Holy shit, a gun that shoots mini-nukes, LMAO! Hey, this game's supposed to be humorous, right? *pfrrrrrrrrt* TUNNEL SNAKES RULE! Wacky shit all around! Just the ZOINKIEST and BAFFIEST JINKIES and MONKEYSHINES we can think of! xDDDDDDD

They're still clinging moronically to basically the same development tools they've been using since Morrowind, unable and unwilling to change or try anything different, because they're hacks. Shit, from all I hear, Fallout 4 is a massive ripoff of virtually every idea in New Vegas and tons of different New Vegas and Fallout 3 mods. Google "New Vegas Autumn Leaves" for an example.

I'm still mad, and I always will be. My dying wish to my descendants will be that they dedicate their lives to wiping out all of Todd Howard's descendants.

RoSoDude

Arcane
I started the game a month ago, but only actually really began playing it a week or two ago because I found the whole process of getting it running properly to be such a pain.

In particular, I had issues with the ambient audio constantly stuttering, clicking, and popping on Windows 10. The solution I found that worked was to install the FFDshow audio codec and remove New Vegas from its exceptions (it automatically comes with Bethesda games listed as exceptions because it apparently used to cause them to crash or something). I still get the issue from time to time, after a few hours of gameplay or so, and I just restart to get it back to normal.

Other than that, I'm also using NVSE, the 4GB Patcher, the Yukichigai Unofficial Patch, Vanilla UI Plus, and Keyboy - UI Hotkeys Manager just to increase stability, patch the game up, and have anything resembling a functional UI for KB + M. There might be something else but I don't remember. I'm avoiding the Stutterer Removererer because I heard it actually causes more problems on Windows 10.

...Windows 10 really does suck for gaming.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
I started the game a month ago, but only actually really began playing it a week or two ago because I found the whole process of getting it running properly to be such a pain.

Hey man, you just need to fix the low memory addressing, the stuttering, the subpar scripting system, the poor exception and failure handling, all of the bugs, the UI, and any wonkiness with your specific system and OS setup.

You probably think I'm making a joke here, but here's an artist's interpretation of the bare minimum requirements to mod Morrowind to an acceptable state:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:negative: I am replaying the game for 10th time now,and still haven't finished old world blues. The only thing that i have never managed to finish in this game.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
You know, I have never played this game. Really, is it really as good as they say or was it just a light in dark times?

Self-Ejected

unfairlight

Self-Ejected
fantadomat I've got over 300 hours on the game and I have yet to play any of the DLCs other than Honest Hearts. I'll probably replay it in a year or in summertime, at the moment my memories of the game are far too fresh. Blaine If you don't want the vanilla experience you might want to check out Jsawyer Ultimate, it's based off of the Jsawyer patch but revamps it a bit.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom