Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Necropolis, a procedurally generated "diabolical dungeon delve" from Harebrained Schemes

almondblight

Arcane
Kind of sucks that they only have one class in the game and were planning on releasing the others in the expansions. HBS preoccupation with DLCs and microtransactions keeps hurting them. I guess it's a remnant of when they did mobile stuff, but they really need to drop that mindset.

Ellef

Deplorable
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Another underdone and unambitious release from HBS.
rating_butthurt.png

Looks lazy as fuck, plays like a second rate derivative Souls clone without the cool shit that series has (enemy designs, control feedback, soundtrack, mood). Thoroughly mediocre, and pointless.

kazgar

Arcane
Game released without variety

Needs sales to fix variety -> Gets bad reviews due to no variety -> Gets bad sales due to bad reviews -> Therefore gets no further variety -> Therefore sales don't improve -> into eternity.

Good work all round!

(the circle of shit)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
A contrary opinion from Eurogamer: http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-13-necropolis-review

Necropolis review
Pyramid scheme.

jpg

recommended-large-net.png

A stylish roguelike both made and hampered by its own pacing.

There's something captivating about games that keep their lore a mystery. In the same way a rarely glimpsed monster is far scarier on the silver screen, a game world explored through tiny story fragments can be spellbinding. Jaws had a fin gliding through the water; the terrifyingly intangible Bob seemed at once everywhere and nowhere in Twin Peaks; and Necropolis has a carved stone tablet complaining about how clean the floor was before your enemies 'threw a kegger'.

The lore of Necropolis is filled with strange arcane tales, split into tiny fragments and scattered throughout the procedurally generated world. It's hugely engrossing, even if I have a strong suspicion that it might all be nonsense. Most of this decidedly silly mythos - the fact the Necropolis' creator Abraxos also does his laundry there, for instance - comes to you by way of a chap called the Brazen Head. The keeper of the Necropolis is an eccentric fellow, as I suppose a millenias-old talking pyramid would be, and serves as your guide through the world. If you please him, he will reward you. If you don't, well it really won't bother him either way. See, the best thing about the Brazen Head is that he's seen so many adventurers enter the necropolis and die horribly that one more really doesn't make a difference. He'll follow your progress, sure, but he'll do so in a vaguely disinterested, sleepy sort of way. He's basically an eldritch version of Bagpuss, and the effect is wonderful. His flagrant disregard for your wellbeing also serves to hammer home the lesson all roguelikes must teach their players: 'you are going to die.'

Functionally, Necropolis works like this: each floor is a sprawling labyrinth which you need to explore in search of a special door, accumulating money and items along the way. Inside the special door is a fountain which will boost your stats, as well as a lift to take you down to the next level. The catch is that the special door costs money to use and the same goes with the fountain; if you want the blessing of the gods, you'll have to stump up. You can ignore the fountain, of course, but you'll regret it later on. Thus, whereas other roguelikes like Spelunky and The Binding of Isaac merrily lend themselves to speedruns, Necropolis is a game that rewards patience. It's also one that rewards diligence - the Brazen Head doles out a steady trickle of objectives for you to complete on each run, ranging from such things as killing rats to crafting bombs or incanting spells. Completing each objective grants a Point of Favour with the Brazen Head. Collecting lots of cash will also grant you some of these points, which I'll get back to in just a moment.

jpg

The Brazen Head, your guide and sometime antagonist.

As in most roguelikes, you start with the most basic gear and try to get as far as possible before dying. Any items you accumulate along the way are permanently lost on death, when it's back to square one. Necropolis' notable exception comes in the form of codexes, which is where those points of favour come in handy. Each codex provides a different character trait, some of which are more immediately obvious and useful than others. 'Vampirism is your friend' allows you to steal life from enemies when doing them harm, for instance, whereas 'rotten is just another word for delicious' keeps you from vomiting when eating inferior foodstuffs found in the necropolis. You can only have one of these active at any one time and have to select one afresh each time you start a run which, frankly, is a faff.

The levels themselves are fairly sprawling. Wading through the pockets of enemies, lootable chests and, of course, smashable pottery takes quite a long time, contributing significantly to the relaxed pacing that so characterises Necropolis. From the moment you enter the first level and realise the ceiling stretches so high as to be out of sight, you get the sense Necropolis is going to be a slower, more meditative kind of roguelike - an impression that's reinforced wholeheartedly by the combat.

It might be the way they're animated, but the enemies in Necropolis saunter up to you. There's no other way to describe it - they saunter. They also telegraph their attacks quite clearly, committing fully to the animation as soon as it's begun. As a result, the combat in Necropolis is heavily focused around dodging, blocking and counterattacking in a way any Dark Souls fan will find instantly familiar. Timing is vital in order to succeed, as is managing your stamina bar; the latter being particularly interesting in that it can quite easily leave you hobbled. During combat you have the option to use charged attacks in combat - and these are hugely effective - but using them shortens your stamina bar, leaving you with less regenerating stamina to play with. You can regain this lost stamina by using a healing item, but that of course puts a strain on the resources at your disposal. This tension between an aggressive playstyle and your capacity to survive is a nice touch.

jpg

Anyone for a sword in the mush?

While your enemies do definitely saunter, however, that's not to say they aren't dangerous, or that Necropolis isn't exacting. It is, even if the combat system doesn't feel quite so fluid or well executed as that of its contemporaries, and being dogmatic about your approach to combat is only going to get you killed. A great part of getting through the more challenging fights is getting a good read on the situation and responding accordingly; a number of the enemies you'll encounter, for example, are themselves enemies, so kiting one group of bad guys into another group is often your best chance of making it through unscathed. Another small but hugely satisfying feature of Necropolis' combat is that friendly fire is turned on for your enemies; bunching them up and letting them do the hard work is very pleasing, but also means that finding a good choke point can sometimes make the difference between life and death.

Interestingly, friendly fire is also turned on when playing cooperatively, which puts a very different spin on things. Playing with others in Necropolis is an excellent way to ensure your success - not least because other players can revive you if you die - but it also fundamentally changes the pace of combat. Because your allies can hurt you just as easily as your enemies, you're forced to adopt a new sense of ebb and flow, either running off to fight your own enemies (and running the risk of getting overwhelmed) or trying to time your attacks around those of your companions. It's a tricky experience (and one that had us immediately resort to using Discord to chat to one another), but an enriching one nonetheless.

If I had to make one criticism of Necropolis, it would be that it's prone to causing a sense of roguelike-specific vertigo in the player. While the relaxed pacing is for the most part a good thing, a run can take so long (you're looking at around two hours to reach level six) that starting one can feel a little daunting; fatiguing, even. Necropolis is a well thought out and very engaging roguelike, but it's also a significant time investment. Each part of the puzzle you uncover, each moment of discovery is lovely, but it all boils down to how long you can spare to reach the next one.

All in all, I like Necropolis. It's a game that shares its secrets sparingly, inviting you to poke about the place rather than charging through like the gods' chosen hero - because you're not playing as the chosen hero, you're just a soon-to-be-dead adventurer in a long line of now dead adventurers; eminently expendable. You'll return to the main menu and the Brazen Head will tut, rolling his one gigantic eye as he waits for the next brave soul to enter his realm. The only question is how long you're willing to spend being that brave soul.

Self-Ejected

Excidium II

Self-Ejected
Rating has been plummetting, last I checked was 66% now 63%. They're gonna need some meaty updates to win people over.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
BUT GUIZ COOP IS SOOOOO FUN! This can be said about any fucking game in the world no matter how terrible. It's fun because you're goofing around with other people not because the game is good.

tormund

Arcane
BUT GUIZ COOP IS SOOOOO FUN! This can be said about any fucking game in the world no matter how terrible. It's fun because you're goofing around with other people not because the game is good.
From that TB video, difference in difficulty between co op and solo is gigantic. I guess that you can make an argument about either co op or solo being focus while other is completely unbalanced, given how co op eliminates 90% of that punishing difficulty they were boasting about (enemy numbers and HP/damage apparently don't increase in co op, threat of permadeath is eliminated as long at least one player is still standing due to easy revivals...).

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Doesn't surprise me considering co-op was a tacked on addition to appeal to the 'BUT GUIZ I NEEDZ COOP' crowd. That said, I don't understand why this game took so long to develop. Both the mechanics and level design seem very shallow. And it's not as if they spent a lot of time on art assets.

Pope Amole II

Nerd Commando Game Studios
Developer
This game is such a fucking borefest. I hadn't got a single clue why there's even that much attention to it - there are zero reasons for this. It looks poor and bland (style, my ass) and there's just zero content in the game. Hit > dodge out, hit > dodge out, hit > dodge out, the game. You can unlock new levels, but what's the point when combat system is barebone?

Pacing is also fucking off. Each minute I played this I've thought about Ziggurat & Rampage Knights. Ziggurat is also made in Unity (iirc), but it looks just infinitely better, shiny and vibrant. And while it's also a budget game from a much indie-ish studio, it hides its limits much, much better. Rampage Knights, on the other hand, are much closer to this when it comes to genre. And they just rape this in the ass, no other words to put this. Much better combat mechanics, interesting and actually varied gear, nice (and properly annoying) bosses, good pacing. Necropolis' pacing is just non-existent - the game is horribly drawn-out. Especially when monsters begin to respawn rabidly and you're just mired in repetitive killing & killing & killing.

Not to mention that the game loves spawning monsters behind your back. And while that's not really dangerous (once you get the gist of it all), it's just annoying. It's one of the most annoying mechanics ever and, coupled with a terrible, terrible camera, it makes the game even more unpleasant to play. Who ever validated this? I mean, I just can't imagine someone looking at this, playtesting this and honestly saying: that's ok, people will like this.

Also, the game isn't really a roguelite. There's just no elements of that. Weapons barely differ (apart from the category distinctions, i.e. light or heavy) and you have nigh-zero character choices. You just take one codice which is essentially a feat - disable hunger, eat bad food without risks, gain vampiric attacks, gain double drops, etc. And, since there aren't that many codices (20) and they're not really balanced, they just don't create replay value.

To put it simply, it's just extremely unfun to play.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2016/07/19/necropolis-review/

Wot I Think: Necropolis
John Walker on July 19th, 2016 at 7:00 pm.

nec04.jpg

Shadowrun developers Harebrained Schemes have appeared with a very different game, Necropolis [official site], a third-person action roguelite. Which was an odd choice, all things considered. Here’s wot I think:

Playing Necropolis is like trying to wade through soup. Not some refreshing broth, but a lake of winter vegetable. Movement is sludgy, weapon attacks are glacial, the whole thing just soupy soupy soup.

nec07.jpg

A third-person action roguelite, your goal is to descend and explore through dungeons of enemies, gathering drops to craft and purchase, seeing how far you can get before you drown in the soupy mire. And at every stage the game seems designed to annoy with its snail pace. Enemies drop weapons, but the pop-up to tell you if it’s worth swapping for what’s currently in your hands takes a weird two seconds to appear. In a game that’s trying to lob frantic action at you, this is inexplicable, and really boringly annoying. Even after the fights are over, you’re still having to run up to each drop and stand still, wait for the pop-up, and then run to the next when it’s inevitably of no use. Repeat, wait, repeat, wait, repeat, wait…

The game borrows heavily from Dark Souls (and is about as much like it as someone who borrows a book is like a library), with stamina extremely limited. This means you can’t just jump and sprint and waggle your sword around like a loon: each action makes you temporarily very tired, and if you exhaust it you’re useless in a fight. So you have to develop tactics around this, ways of using this tiny (but quickly recharging) pool efficiently in more voluminous confrontations, aware that bigger hits permanently deplete it until you eat or drink. Which makes the achingly phlegmatic attacks all the more frustrating. Even the so-called “quick attack” is a lumbering effort, against multiple enemies who seem to somehow be immune to soup.

nec02.jpg

Clicking on a shopkeeper character to buy items is slow. Using a lift to descend a level is slow. Closing a chest is slow. And no, I’m not in some big hurry to move on, I’m being attacked by skellingtons and weird old men. And in the game.

But in the end, it’s not its lethargy that is Necropolis’s undoing – it’s its vacuity. It’s so empty, so bereft of purpose. It seems to exist only for the sake of there being yet another roguelite hack-and-slash, rather than because inspiration or imagination had birthed its creation. Large, gloomy levels have what could have been a striking polygonal aesthetic, but end up just being procedurally generated rooms of grey triangles for the first two levels and then switch colours later on. Enemies just seem to run toward you waving weapons, until one of you is dead. There’s no zing, no pep, no life.

nec03.jpg

The soupy controls are made worse by a weird angle to the movement, meaning things like circle strafing are peculiarly wrong, your character turning too much as you try. This clumsiness makes deaths feel far more due to the game’s failures than your own, which is an absolutely fundamental issue in a genre that’s framed around repeated deaths and the desire to try again. This is certainly not helped by the absolutely brainless decision to not let players change the controls.

Now, if you’re going to make the controls unchangeable (and you never, ever should, because there is absolutely no good reason for this ever to be the case), and only possible to view in the Options rather than edit, then I dunno, perhaps just maybe don’t set sprint to V. Has anyone in the history of video games ever chosen to put sprint on V? You’d have to have an extra finger between index (D) and thumb (Space) for this to even be considered an option! Completely farcical.

nec08.jpg

Where the game does try to inject its sliver of personality is via the narrator, Abraxis (who talks via subtitles – actual narration is a sort of atonal grunting sound). With such hilarity, Abraxis isn’t taking this whole thing seriously at all! He can’t even be bothered to finish sentences coherently, and blah blah blah. And it’s a device that maybe could have worked with a fantastic voice actor and some real zingers, but instead it just seems to underline the lackadaisical tone that permeates the entire game.

Unlocked bonuses are entirely unexplained, some completely inexplicable even after you’ve added them to your collection. Enemy attack patterns are boring, and comparisons with Dark Souls are ridiculously unearned. It uses numbers rather than skills to defeat you, or, in oh-so hilarious moments, randomly drops something heavy on your from above that you didn’t know was coming. My sides. Or indeed my behind, where you’ll be attacked from so damned often.

nec01.jpg

It remains rather odd why it happened. It’s a clumsy, dull, shallow, lacklustre trudge through cold soup. And fails at the most important aspect of any game in the genre: making me want to have another go.

Necropolis is out now on Windows and MacOSX via Steam, Humble and GOG for £23/$30/€28.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mozg

Arcane
I'd say they shoulda never made a console publishing deal with Bamco so they could have delayed this to work on it until it wasn't proof HBS can never be trusted to do an action game, but maybe the money was too tight anyway.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Surprisingly honest review. Not going to pretend I didn't greatly anticipate this game but it has fallen far short of my expectations. Really a poor showing by Harebrained.

AMG

Arbiter
The criticisms in that article are pretty retarded imo. Game is still shit, but not because it's "omg so sluggish".

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014

We’ve reached a milestone in our ongoing improvement work on Necropolis. Eight weeks ago, Harebrained Schemes committed to respond to feedback from critics and the community with a series of free updates and improvements. That work culminates in today’s free update, the NECROPOLIS BRUTAL EDITION.

Version 1.1 contains the following additions, enhancements, and fixes for Necropolis.
  • Added a new playable character, The Brute, with 7 unique armor sets including the fearsome Raider’s Garb which offers increased damage at some hefty costs.
  • Added a new outdoor environment, The Black Forest, with 36 new modules!
  • Added a new starting module to reduce the time needed to get back into the action.
  • Added 7 more new enemies including the Bandit - watch it, he’ll steal your loot!
  • Added 16 new weapons, with unique abilities such as the Arcane Shadow - a devastating maul that deals incredible amounts of damage, but its curse strips the player of most of their defenses, use at your own risk.
  • Added new traps, the Necropolis wasn’t deadly enough so we added some spinning blades and even deadlier spike traps. The Black Forest has its own traps, too.
  • Added 5 new consumable items (potions, scrolls, etc.) including the Multiplayer focused Resurrection scroll! All your fellow adventurers in danger and downed? Revive them from a safe distance!
  • Added new loot! Recipes are now part of loot drops, you can find them throughout the Necropolis. Buying is now just one way to expand your potion and crafting potential!
  • Improvements to blocking and shield bashing. Stamina costs for successful blocks has been reduced, as well as the threshold for shield breaks has been increased, meaning it will happen less often. Lastly, damage bleed through (in the event of shield break) has been lowered.
  • General performance improvements
  • Localized all text

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom