Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need a blobber that appeals to my discerning and superior taste.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
One question for you dungeon crawling autists - how do you rate the Pokemon series? Please answer only if you actually played the games. Thnx.
Babbies first rpg and one of the most hand-held, banal, repetitive examples of the genre you could find with the depth of a puddle.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I haven't played many western blobbers. But I'd really want to play something on par the compelling dungeon and puzzle design of Legend of Grimrock II.

One question for you dungeon crawling autists - how do you rate the Pokemon series? Please answer only if you actually played the games. Thnx.

Well, I can give u an autistic answer.

I grew up playing Pokémon. One thing I can say in favor of it is about the combat mechanics, It has certain cool nuances that could potentially lead towards interesting combat encounters, given you play long enough to unlock the battle tower or some other similar late game instance. But for that it means you have to beat the main quest which is mostly a snoozefest, even for the target audience, because:

-You'll rarely find a Poké trainer that doesn't have a team of pushovers and only spam weak attacks at you. At least at first, rematches turn harder, but not by much, since their strategic approaches are mostly to annoy your team rather than threaten them. They're glorified punching bags.

- Every gym can be beaten with only a Pokémon of favorable type that is faster and hits hard (known as "sweepers", there are movesets and passive abilities that can shutdown 'em hard, but during main campaign you'll not find anything like that, unfortunately). Some of them can pose a threat if you let 'em stall, but they do it in such a way that can be easily countered.

- Outside of elite 4, You'll rarely find someone with a full team. And most of 'em that do, often have several copies of the same trash Pokémon to fill the gap. Although one or two strong foes are usually included in those regular teams of 6, they really don't use any good tactic to threaten yours, even if you go through the entire main quest with only your starter.

- Exploration and dungeons are nothing special, but isn't worse than in any typical Japanese blobber or jrpg, pretty linear crap, as everything else. Dungeons are designed to be cleared in a straightforward pattern: you step in and find either an inoffensive obstacle or puzzle, or just a couple corridors that guide towards next floor. Sometimes you stumble across bifurcations, but one is designed to be cleared earlier given the access of abilities the game gave you so far, the another way is either a shortcut for a later path or a pathway to another area you can't access until game decides so, just put there for obligatory backtracking.

Some people go ironman mode on Pokémon games, they call it Nuzlocke challenge. But, why bother? I'd rather play a roguelike.

Roqua

Prospernaut
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual In My Safe Space
I only mentioned the PS3 because you said you only had a PS1 and a PS2, and you were asking about how to play (this PS3 game) on a 'playstation'.

You can play Labyrinth of Lost Souls on the PS3 emulator called RPCS3 if you want (it's what I did). It isn't the best example of a japanese Wizardry (it's a mediocre game, IMO), but it's leagues above stuff like Mary Skelter.

Thank you and I apologize for going overboard. You are a good guy, and I am a big huge jerk.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom