Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need a good tactical FPS

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
I haven't seen a better tactical shooter than Hidden&Dangerous 2 which came out 10 years ago.

Anything better than this out now or is it time for replay?

H&D2 got released at the same time as Call of Duty unfortunately, so it passed under the radar and got largely ignored.
It was made by the Illusion, developers of Mafia. Why i like it:

1st or 3rd person, plus a tactical isometric view for more detailed commands.
Amazing atmosphere, sound, graphics and presentation.
You control SAS. Not American or Russian or Japanese. And it represents a different war front. Very refreshing.
Great level variety. Small and large, all nonlinear and open ended.
Diverse mission objectives and how to approach them.
Large selection of authentic weapons and gadgets that feel great.
Inventory management and your men all have skills.
Co-op single player.
Stealth option. Stealing uniforms, have to aware of making noise, being seen.
Ragdolls and motion capture animations. While CoD had soldiers running like ducks and dying like it was Duke3D.
Vehicles. Uses the Mafia engine so all vehicles were great to control and were very solid. You can even blow the tires out.
Vocal commands to your team mates, either loud or silent, which affects your stealth.
4 running and crouching speeds.

fahq.jpg

qvde.jpg

7bme.jpg

9flu.jpg

7a66.jpg

Last edited:
I don't know if it's better because I haven't actually got to play H&D but Swat 4 is a great tactical shooter.
*edit* oops, too late.

Last edited:

Angthoron

Arcane
Rainbow 6, RB6 - Rogue Spear.
SWAT 4
For some curiosity's sake - Venom: Codename Outbreak (what a name)
Delta Force was occasionally decent.
IIRC SpecOps had some tacticalness before it turned into Citizen Kane of gaming. At least back in the end of the 90ies it did.

Abelian

Somebody's Alt
With emphasis on the tactical:
256px-SpaceHulkCover.jpg

:troll:
Seriously, though, this was a hard game.
hulk.jpg

hulk-008.png

Space_Hulk_Terminator_View_Screen.png

Space_Hulk_Planning_Screen.png

retardation

Learned
I still haven't played them properly, but Operation Flashpoint and Arma 2 should qualify as better than H&D2. Also, the first Rainbow Six is just amazing. Also, when patched, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is surprisingly good, along with OF: Red River.
I don't know about Swat 4, I thought it had some serious AI issues, correct? If memory serves me right, Swat 3 is better.

For some curiosity's sake - Venom: Codename Outbreak (what a name)

This is actually quite an interesting game and I'm amazed someone remembered it. I only played the demo, though.

Last edited:

bussinrounds

Augur
when patched, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is surprisingly good, along with OF: Red River.

Did patches fix the retarded enemy AI ? Never played RR (didn't hear anything positive), but they were fucking braindead in DR. The original OFP and the Resistance expansion (which was amazing) had some deadly enemy AI that created this whole sense of incredible tension which is necessary for a true/good tactical shooter. Just like in the old R6 games (OG/Rogue Spear/Raven Shield), original Ghost Recon...

Astral Rag

Arcane
I don't know about Swat 4, I thought it had some serious AI issues, correct? If memory serves me right, Swat 3 is better.

SWAT 4 doesn't have game-breaking AI issues, sure the AI can be a bit dim* but it works well enough most of the time.

Both SWAT 4 and The Stetchkov Syndicate are great games until the timed missions near the end.

The game has some replay value because enemy and civilian placement (and their reactions to your orders...) is randomized.

Playing through the campaign in coop is great fun and the online part works flawless with Gameranger (This game originally used Gamespy)

Last edited:

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Yep. This is a vid of my attempt -

with the AI performing flawlessly until I hesitated at one moment, switching to non-lethal and got killed without even firing back a single shot.

retardation

Learned
when patched, Operation Flashpoint: Dragon Rising is surprisingly good, along with OF: Red River.

Did patches fix the retarded enemy AI ? Never played RR (didn't hear anything positive), but they were fucking braindead in DR. The original OFP and the Resistance expansion (which was amazing) had some deadly enemy AI that created this whole sense of incredible tension which is necessary for a true/good tactical shooter. Just like in the old R6 games (OG/Rogue Spear/Raven Shield), original Ghost Recon...
Yes, somewhat. These games are nowhere near the quality of others mentioned, but they're still solid special ops stuff for sure. Weapons in particular feel great and the overall atmosphere is nice too. There are also some good mods. Check this out:

http://www.moddb.com/mods/ofdragon-rising-singleplayer-overhaul-mod

Flying_Dutchman

Educated
SWAT 4 for smaller environment.
ArmA 3 for open environment with pretty extreme difficulty.
Rainbox Six Vegas for "okay" tactical approach with more emphasis on fun and shoot-em-up.

Severian Silk

Yep. This is a vid of my attempt -

with the AI performing flawlessly until I hesitated at one moment, switching to non-lethal and got killed without even firing back a single shot.

Is that all you do? Hide behind your team and pick up loot?

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Clearly the game needs an awesome button and better background music.
The game does support different playstyles. You can breach the door yourself if you want, but if you get dropped, it's over.
The AI can be reliable as the video has shown but sometimes they're not that good.

Here's the same mission I re-attempted with a slightly more pro-active play:

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Is that all you do? Hide behind your team and pick up loot?
Well, SWAT 4 puts much more emphasis on your wits that your reflexes. My ex-girlfriend (who is left-handed, played the game with a right-handed mouse, and had never played any kind of a shooter before) managed to beat it quite painlessly with me giving some tactical instructions every once in a while. That's not to say it's not a great game, because it's definitely right up there with the best Rainbow Six games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom