Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Need good recent popamole shoota

Sodafish

Arcane
Another vote for Metro 2033/LL

Baron Dupek

Arcane
oddech_wymarlych_swiatow
So has City Interactive finally released a good game?
Good CI game, average shooter. I liked it but people weren't that nice because it was same case like Serious Sam 3 - Normal was Hard.

Both Bioshocks I've finished (1&Infinishite) are exactly opposite to what I seek -> they have terrible shooting mechanics.
:bro: seriously, shooting in Biococks was one of the worst I've ever experienced in my gaming pitiful life.

I've finished almost 3 years ago and forgot about it but yes... excellent, satysfying gunplay was its strongest part.
There is some decent DLC for it - The Scorchers. I was waiting for it for months (thanks for regional locks), then waiting for promo, then played it maybe hour or two (because I was upset when I discovered my last saves for RAGE vanished despite Steam Cloud system) and abandoned for few months, return and finished it in about 4h?[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

buzz

Arcane
Are we allowed games before 2011?

If yes, also check the Brothers in Arms games.

DraQ

Arcane
Shooting is fun in DX:HR, if you don't popamole.
Dishonored also has fun combat, although going full retard combat instead of clueless AI abuse stealth will affect the ending.

Edit:
Dishonored also lacks popamole, while DX:HR will obviously not feature popamole if you abstain from it by unbinding sticky cover or binding it on far end of KB (for cinefaggic screenies and working around SR laser sight bug),

Both have jumping.

Last edited:

adddeed

Arcane
Possibly Retarded
Mafia 2, if you also like driving (which is done superbly in the game, best out of all gta-like games).

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Republic Commando was the last good Star Wars game.

And I'm still boiling with generic rage over the fact it never had a sequel.

J1M

Arcane
Republic Commando was the last good Star Wars game.

And I'm still boiling with generic rage over the fact it never had a sequel.
It is an Unreal Engine game. Break out the modding tools and get to work. :smug:

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Metro Last Light is the best shooter since Deus Ex Human Revolution.

Dishonored is pretty good, and its DLC is pretty good too.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Modern popamolers I enjoyed:
Vanquish - too bad you don't have a ps3, this game is really good. Cool bossfights, you can't just sit behind cover all time. One thing that bothered me was playing with the gamepad.
Transformers War for/Fall of Cybertron - "run and gun" and your character can turn into cars/jets/tanks.
Warhammer 40k: Space Marine - fun mix of shooting/slashing.
Dead Space 1, yeah "the enter room monsters spawn" formula is shit but I liked the combat. And it's a very pretty game.
Republic Commando - replayed it a few months ago, very cool for a popamoler with simplistic level design. Still wasted potential imo, this could be a lot better.
Metal Gear: Faggot Rising - not a shooter but I'll mention it. Fun slashing, bossfights, nice music. Downside: QTE's and retarded story/characters.
Quake 4, Doom 3. Quake is better imo, less of that retarded "horror" schtick.
Mass Effect 2:oops: - Of course there are crappy cinematics, cringey characters and waifus but I kind of liked the shooting. The "vanguard" class is most fun to play imo. Of course this game is as popamole as it gets so proceed at your own risk.

EDIT: Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon, The "main quest" is popamole but I liked capturing enemy bases. You just enter the base and explore it any way you like while killing everyone inside with laser weapons. Has very cool 80's electronic music. Downside: it's short, hipster humour and "witty" popculture references at every corner.

Popamolers that imo suck, but are worth mentioning
Dark Void - I've only played the demo so I don't know if it's good. But maybe it's worth checking out. Your character has a jetpack that you can use at will, there are air fight with spaceships, the level structure seemed more "open" than just "move forward, enemies spawn etc." but I don't know how it looks like later in the game. It has QTEs from what I remember.
Spec Ops: The Line - A typical popamoler, boring as fuck, but it got praise for some reason, so maybe there's a chance you'll like it.
Kane and Lynch - just like Spec Ops, boring gameplay though kind of tolerable in small doses. Has some redeeming quality in cool characters and a non-military setting. Storming that corpotate building was cool.

Last edited:

Ebonsword

Arcane
I know nobody else likes it, but I still think Resident Evil: Operation Raccoon City is a great game.

Six different characters to form your squad with, all with different powers that you can level up. Several dozens guns to unlock. No regenerating health. No waifu companions.

Not much of a story, but it does offer hordes of zombies and Spec Ops troops to mow down.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
The Metro games are shit -- far too scripted/cinematic to be enjoyable if you actually like playing your games. Derp Space isn't bad. Repetitive, yes, but so are most shooters. The limb mechanic is a nice change of pace. Alien Rage, despite being made by Shitty Interactive, is better than most modern AAA shooters, including the Metros. It's fairly challenging and fast paced but still has drawbacks of lack of enemy variety and few weapons. Serious Sam 3 starts off slow but ends up to be a worthy modern version of the originals. RAGE has some derpy AI and suffers from a lot of backtracking and the awkward forced semi-open-world design but it's a fun experience and you have a lot of weapons and gadgets at your disposal.

Stay away from all Bioshocks.

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
I recalled one more game. Maybe It doesn't really fit because it's a "flying game": Strike Suit Zero. Arcade-y space shooter, fast paced, dynamic. Good game to play when you just want to kill something. You pilot a ship that can turn into a flying mech when you shoot down enough enemies to charge up your "energy bar". The mech form is slower but it can "strafe" and has powerful weapons that can kill a group of fighters in a matter of seconds. Also, the game has pleasant athmopshere, looks, music etc. I might be a bit biased here though, I really enjoy space combat games.

Last edited:

DefJam101

Arcane
If you have friends

EYE
I'm considering playing this game soon, why "if you have friends"?
E.Y.E.'s weird as fuck character system, mission variety, massive levels, and fun weapons make it a rough, first-person shooter equivalent of playing a pen & paper RPG while flat drunk. It really should not be played solo. If you aren't super jumping at 100 miles an hour over your friend (who just happens to be a scantily armored man carrying a minigun twice the size of his torso) while shooting your loud-as-all-fuck vacuum cleaner submachine gun fifty times per second into a Russianaponese Mad Max 2 extra until he ragdolls forty yards away and over a cliff, you're not getting the complete E.Y.E. experience.

I've beaten Marine campaign a few years ago and it was utter crap, worst mouse support ever alone makes it unplayable. Seriously, I had more fun with DNF, Colonial Marines or even Atari Jaguar AvP than with this shit.

And Serious Sam games aren't popamole guyz.

Modern popamolers I enjoyed:
Quake 4, Doom 3. Quake is better imo, less of that retarded "horror" schtick.

Republic Commando.

They were solid games but definately not the recent.

Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon

Is there a need to complete FC3 to play BD?

Call of Juarez - Gunslinger

I couldn't force myself to finish a few first levels in original CoJ (let alone to beat the whole geam) and didn't bother with its sequels, is Gunslinger significatly better than the first one?

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Blood Dragon is entirely different, it just uses the FC3 engine/some assets. Wish I opted for Blood Dragon because FC3 is boring-ass-fuck.

buzz

Arcane
And Serious Sam games aren't popamole guyz.
SS3 starts popamole, probably as a twisted version of "parody" of popamole games.

I couldn't force myself to finish a few first levels in original CoJ (let alone to beat the whole geam) and didn't bother with its sequels, is Gunslinger significatly better than the first one?
Well, it doesn't have the stealth/platforming levels anymore, it's all shooting gallery now.And there's a neat storytelling element, if you care about that.

I don't think Gunslinger was that great, but for a popamole is okay. The first CoJ was miles better for me, if only for the preacher dude reading the bible while mowing down random mooks :obviously:

DraQ

Arcane
Derp Space 1 is pretty good.

Fails at being horror, unfortunately, (at best it's atmospheric startler) but it's pretty solid both mechanically and aesthetically, (controls and R.I.G. design excluded), plus deserves kudos for both encouraging non-standard space zombie combat techniques and having proper 0G and vacuum.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom