Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline NEO Scavenger: A Post-Apocalyptic Survival RPG

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer
Thanks for the heads-up, Infinitron! I hadn't seen this until your post. That's awesome!

SuicideBunny , NEO Scavenger launched on Steam Early Access in December 2013, and was launched as a beta-funded game on my website in March 2012. I'm aiming to have it released before Christmas, with build v0.9960b as my first release candidate. Though, it appears there may already be some things in need of patching.

Gozma

Arcane
It was certainly the most interesting new model to make quick, simple 1v1 combats I can remember seeing recently.

I wish I hadn't played the older version so much because it's kinda boring trying to get a character "on his feet" now to explore for new stuff.

Multi-headed Cow

I've played and enjoyed me some Neo Scavenger, but best combat? Really? Really really for reals and for true?

Dogman_%28avatar%29.PNG

It's probably the closest they get to fighting dickwolves dogmen.
GOD DAMN DOG MEN AFTER MY DELICIOUS MEATS

4307663B7BD116D918E0C51B63E203D3FF730D75

sser

Arcane
Developer
Has the interface been improved? Last time I played this was like two years ago. Loved it, but the UI must have been designed by a mad man or something.

Talby

Arcane
Patron
Codex USB, 2014
Last time I played this everything was done by dragging and dropping, including the combat. Has that been fixed?

Multi-headed Cow

Has the interface been improved? Last time I played this was like two years ago. Loved it, but the UI must have been designed by a mad man or something.
Last time I played this everything was done by dragging and dropping, including the combat. Has that been fixed?
Largely no. It's not click and drag, but it's a lot of "Click and then click some more". Generally inefficient but it allows for a fairly wide range of actions. As for the combat, it's not dragging and dropping. IIRC it was at one point, but now it's cleaned up a bit so just clicking an option moves it into your action-space. The interface has been cleaned up a bit but it's still Neo Scavenger.

dcfedor

Blue Bottle Games
Developer

That's me! Madman, I tell you!

The interface has been cleaned up a bit but it's still Neo Scavenger.

That's a good way to put it. Some rough parts have been smoothed out, but it's still the same beast. Probably the biggest change since the early days is the cursor mode toggles. One can switch cursor modes between "drag" and "take," depending on preferences. ("Use" and "destroy," too.)

That, and the spacebar hotkey can really speed up certain UIs. E.g. click combat choice and then spacebar to confirm. Ditto for encounters and crafting.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Oh damn, did the price jump up? I thought it was $10.

Multi-headed Cow

Oh damn, did the price jump up? I thought it was $10.
Yep, it did. He said he was bumping the price up since the initial lower price was because of early access bugs/unfinished game.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Release day price bumps are adorable in a world of key sellers.

Silva

Arcane
Hey bros, there is this fellow who keeps followijg me, and then initiate combat with me, and then I speak with him and he "This meat talks!" Or something and then goes away. But in the next day he is there again stalking me.

Can I have some more meaningful interaction with this guy ? Should I just kill him or what ?

Multi-headed Cow

Hey bros, there is this fellow who keeps followijg me, and then initiate combat with me, and then I speak with him and he "This meat talks!" Or something and then goes away. But in the next day he is there again stalking me.

Can I have some more meaningful interaction with this guy ? Should I just kill him or what ?
Sounds like a bad mutha. Never had 'em talk before, but all I can figure is you're either scaring him off by reputation/impressive gear/he's in bad shape, then he immediately starts stalking and following you again. Either that or he's bugged. Go ahead and kill him though, no reason not to kill bad muthas.

sser

Arcane
Developer
:takemymoney:

Fine take it you fuckers. After trying to peddle some inventory on Steam trade forums - the equivalent of mindlessly wandering an auction house full of Eastern Europeans that always talk with one eye slimmed and their mouth half-cocked - I decided to just sell some cards and buy the damn game.

Pretty worth it and a pretty fresh experience after not playing it for two years. Still get the Oregonlyptic Trail treatment of dying of diarrhea a lot, though. Not completely sure how to plug the fissures from blowing my shit out to literal death.

Did have an amusing fist fight with some guy like two feet out of the cryo station. I knocked him unconscious, but being a fat fuck myself I lost all energy and we just collapsed next to one another, only to wake up presumably a few hour later to continue the fight. I demanded that he surrender since I was kicking his ass, but he refused. We danced in the pale moonlight like inflatable tube men before I finally gained the ultimate upper hand. With his bruised corpse at my feet, I bent down and robbed him of... a pink flip-flop. Is that what the world has come to, people willing to die over a single flip flop? Anyway I scurried up and down the wasteland - stopping every ten feet to pick up my flip flop. Killed a dog or two. Ambushed a deer and stove its head in with a crowbar. Found three shotgun shells. Sold them to a trader for a trench coat, a backpack, and other shit. Found a sled. Pulled a sled over the wasteland. Really slowed me down. It'd be amusing if you didn't get a movement penalty on a sled when moving downhill... anyway I got super duper thirsty and, in desperation, drank a lot of river water. Caught a bad case of the shits. With not a scratch on me, managed to bring my sled full of potato chips to an embankment and died there, ostensibly with rivulets of blood and piss and poop snaking away from my body. A proper death.

(Oh and when I exited the game I saw that they had given me a 'foil' card which I can sell for a couple bucks. Not bad.)

Multi-headed Cow

Pretty worth it and a pretty fresh experience after not playing it for two years. Still get the Oregonlyptic Trail treatment of dying of diarrhea a lot, though. Not completely sure how to plug the fissures from blowing my shit out to literal death.
Sterilize your water before drinking it you animal!

sser

Arcane
Developer
Pretty sure the lighter is the most useful tool.

I was doing extremely well on my last run. Survived two arrows to the body, lots of other wounds. Had a rifle with rounds, a bow and arrow with arrows, huge bags, prescription pills for pain and immune system.

And then I ran into some bandits and mistakenly thought my 'choice' would do one thing when it did another. They made off with a few things, most shit I didn't care about it. The primary thing missing was the one square lighter.

Without it I had nothing to start fires with and nothing to contain infections and stave off future ones. Died very quickly thereafter. Like a very sudden collapse. I just... wanted to get to Detroit... I believe a dogman murdered me in my sleep.

Gozma

Arcane
^ I forget which skill, but one of them lets you start fires without a lighter.

its a must!!!!

I dunno if it changed a lot between versions but if you're in good health and warm, have a good blood supply, etc. you can generally get away with drinking unboiled water from stuff like rivers and lakes.

sser

Arcane
Developer
I wonder if it lets you take said fire into building hunts. Primary boost of the lighter for me was that it not only increases loot find, but makes the searches like twice as safe. And the 'durability' of the lighter goes down a lot slower than it probably should.

Gozma

Arcane
You can use torches as a searching light source, yep. Kind of a pain

Multi-headed Cow

Lighters are definitely up there in usefulness. You can do a lot with the multitool too, but even if it has more uses they're less vital than Friend Lighter. And like Gozma says you can start fires without a lighter. I wanna say it was tracking but I could be grossly mistaken. Been a while since I attempted it. And only way you could take fire started without a lighter into boosting scavenging runs would be if you made torches.
Also might not've been a dogman. There's at least one beasty out there that specifically tries to get you in your sleep. Never sleep, Sser.

Played a little bit of 1.0. Definitely improved since the last time I went on a Neo Scavenger bender. Also not sure if I've just been having really bad luck or if it's from balance changes, but I'm having a harder time scavenging food. Probably trying to catch some tasty tasty dogs would be the best move now since they roam around in relatively easy crowbar range. Really liking the sounds, interface is cleaned up even more, and seen some new items and at least one new event/location. Which I always hoped for even more of from Neo Scavenger. That was my favorite part of it, some relatively fixed setpiece locations (Such as this location will always be north-ish of cryo, and this will be south-ish) and some random locations. I dig it so much because unlike an optional dungeon in a full-on roguelike, since Neo Scavenger has more story and non-combat options in it playing alternate locations/events with different skills and characters typically has more variety than just different combat builds.

tindrli

Arcane
^ I forget which skill, but one of them lets you start fires without a lighter.

its a must!!!!

I dunno if it changed a lot between versions but if you're in good health and warm, have a good blood supply, etc. you can generally get away with drinking unboiled water from stuff like rivers and lakes.

i think its better boil it coz i always ended with dhiarrea and dead

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom