Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neuromancer

Alex

Arcane
Hello Codex. Lately, I have been playing this amazing game, Neuromancer. This game was made by Interplay in 1988. It called itself an RPG, though I disagree with it, considering it more of an adventure game. Although the game had skills (which are bought, in the form of skill chips), these skills don't have much to do with playstyle, they are more akin to items in an adventure game, being used to solve puzzles. There is also a combat part of the game where the objective is to crack Cyberspace defenses (and eventually AIs). But again, I don't consider that to be enough to qualify the game as an rpg.

Anyway, I think this game fits best in the Adventure category. Different from newer adventure games like Monkey Island however, Neuromancer does not focus in story telling. I don't mean that there is not story in the game (the game is based on a book, after all), but the story isn't a central feature, it is told in a much more muted manner than, for example, the Lucas Arts games. Instead, Neuromancer is much more like Zork, in that the world challenges the player with various puzzles, each telling a bit more about the game's story.

The game has 3 main mechanics that drive it. First, and perhaps most interesting, is the information gathering aspect. In the game, information is an important commodity. The game doesn't keep track of what the character knows. If one wants to access a Database, use a password or ask someone about something not obvious, then it is necessary to type in these things. There are many information sources, like company Memos, BBSs, people, etc. A few of the skills are also aimed at information gathering, such as Cop Talk and Cryptology. While it hardly requires one to make logic leaps, attention is necessary, as the game can, sometimes, be subtle when giving information.

The second mechanic is the money aspect of the game. There are many items the player needs to buy, such as decks for Matrix access or skill chips. These are needed in order to advance, and so money is necessary. Getting money is more of an aspect of the first mechanic. A few of the hints gotten during the game are about money making scheme, such as getting the number of an account with leech-able money or hearing about a DB one might hack to include one's name on the list of paid employees. In dire situations (and the player starts in one), it is possible to sell the character's organs at the body shop (they exchange them for plastic substitutes). But it will be necessary to buy them back, as each organ sold reduces the maximum health, which makes cyberspace combat even harder. In the end, the money management aspect, by itself, isn't that interesting, as it is simply a question of figuring out what is needed at any point and not spending much beyond that.

The final mechanic is Cyberspace combat. When the player finally gets software and hardware good enough, he may enter the cyberspace. In the cyberspace, the databases that were previously accessed through link codes appear as geometric shapes. By fighting the ICE that protects these shapes, one gains access to all the functions of the database, sometimes including stuff simply impossible through link codel access. Cyberspace combat isn't really interesting per se. However, its function is to force the player to explore the various databases in search of better software so he can better battle strong ICEs and eventually AI (though battling AIs uses skills, not software).

In the ends, these mechanics work together to create a very interesting world for the player to explore. The game has almost no hand holding, Instead, the player is left on his own, with his own initiative to guide himself. Eventually, it becomes clear that the game isn't really open. There are a few actions the player needs to accomplish to finish the game, with no C&C to speak off (at least that I have found, I still haven't finished the game). But being able to explore on one's own terms do make a lot of difference. I would recommend this game to anyone wishing to see how to make information a resource. This kind of mechanic, I feel, would fit right in both RPGs and Adventure games.

Alex

Arcane
The Price of Graphic Whoredom

By the way, if anyone decides to try this game out, there are versions for the Amiga, the C64 and DOS (there is also an Apple ][ version, but I don't know anything about that one). Out of these, I tried the Amiga one (it had prettier graphics). Unfortunately, the WHDLoad for the game didn't work well with my emulator, all the graphics were garbled.

Eventually, I decided to use standard emulation, with .adf files emulating disks. Once I set the emulation speed to the max, the game became a lot more playable (it is too slow on normal settings). In this mode, however, I needed to create another disk file to work as a save disk and swap it in whenever I saved because the game will only read disks on DF0. Finally, I discovered the hard way that the game won't work well with standard disks. The game presents you with 4 save slots, but once I used the third, the whole save disk was corrupted. Apparently, the game needs a disk created by the "custom disk" option of UAE.

So, I decided to post this here, so people can either avoid the mistakes I made when using the Amiga version, or simply use the DOS version, that probably has none of these problems.

Fowyr

Arcane
Vatnik
Good game. Played it very long time ago, right after reading the book. You are right, it is more adventure game than RPG.
BTW, try SEGA version of Shadowrun for interesting cyberspace combat.

made

Arcane
Re: The Price of Graphic Whoredom

Alex said:
By the way, if anyone decides to try this game out, there are versions for the Amiga, the C64 and DOS (there is also an Apple ][ version, but I don't know anything about that one). Out of these, I tried the Amiga one (it had prettier graphics). Unfortunately, the WHDLoad for the game didn't work well with my emulator, all the graphics were garbled.
It works just fine if you disable JIT in winuae; many whdload installs don't play well with it.

Alex said:
So, I decided to post this here, so people can either avoid the mistakes I made when using the Amiga version, or simply use the DOS version, that probably has none of these problems.
DOS games of that era look and sound like shit though. It's well worth to spend some time to set up a working Amiga emulator if you're into that retro thang.

Alex

Arcane
@Fowyr

Thanks for the tip. I heard very good things of that game and I will be sure to try it out.

@made

Thanks! I had no idea this could be the issue. I suspected that it might be the WHDLoad version, or some incompatibility with my configuration (I am using the AmiKit). I tried to look around for a similar problem, bu found nothing.

mariog

Educated
Yeah, great game. Also, in spite of having primitive graphics and being based on textual description of events, it had an AMAZING atmosphere.

made

Arcane
Nps. I recently installed a new workbench and ran into that problem with whdl myself. Half the installs don't run out of the box and require some kind of tweaking.

zeitgeist

Magister
Call me crazy, but I actually liked PC Neuromancer graphics better than the Amiga version, although technically inferior, the surreal palette they used added a lot to the cyberpunk atmosphere. The Amiga version somehow looked mundane in comparison.

zeitgeist

Magister
made said:
Looks like any EGA game to me?
Not quite, the majority of EGA games (and EGA versions of games) from that era used the best approximation to "realistic" colors available in the palette, especially regarding skin tones. Check out this article for example, there's a night-and-day difference in the usage of colors in Sierra titles compared to Neuromancer. So this means that the Neuromancer conversion was either an unintentionally "bad" conversion (since they could've achieved something that looked much closer to the Amiga version on the left if they really wanted to), or they chose this visual style on purpose. Who knows.

I played the C64 version back in the day. Decent enough game.

neuromancer.jpg

neuromancer-game-c64-2.gif

CopyProtectionNeuromancer.jpg

Did you need this still?

NeuromancerEndeSlideshow.gif

almondblight

Arcane
Good game. Played it very long time ago, right after reading the book. You are right, it is more adventure game than RPG.
BTW, try SEGA version of Shadowrun for interesting cyberspace combat.

Starcrawlers seemed to copy it's cyberspace gameplay from Genesis Shadowrun. Here's a video, you can see them enter cyberspace around the 6 minute mark.

Self-Ejected

aeternalis

Wordcel
Patron
Funny enough, I think I played this game before I read the novel, and the way the game conveyed the story (in the information-gathering, discovery-driven manner you describe) piqued my interest enough to get me to read the book. I don't actually remember how I encountered the game, probably on some old game aggregator/provider like HotU.

Nice review and I'd say you are right to call this an adventure game.

Last edited:

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I played the C64 version back in the day. Decent enough game.

neuromancer.jpg

neuromancer-game-c64-2.gif

CopyProtectionNeuromancer.jpg

Did you need this still?

NeuromancerEndeSlideshow.gif

Wow, this brings back memories. I rented the game for a week back in 1989 and had to make photocopies of the manual & code wheel to finish the game. This one, along with Dragon Wars and PoR on the C64 is responsible for fostering that love of RPGs or adventure games with light RPG elements like Neuromancer. The C64 version (which I thi nk the game was originally released for; the others are ports) is superior to the Amiga version just for the sound design and full utilization of SID alone. ~Some. Things. Never. Change~

Rincewind

Magister
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Here's a link to the C64 cartridge conversion of the game that works in VICE. No disk swapping and it saves the game to the cartridge as well. I really recommend the C64 original as it has the best atmosphere and it's extremely well made. The Amiga version would be the second best.
This version is cracked, but for codewheels this package should take care of all your codewheel needs :M

More general info about Neuromancer on the C64 Wiki.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom