Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Never knew Star Control 2 is so good

Heresiarch

Prophet
I don't know why, it is not an Elite-like (no trading, no reputation stuff, no really randomized stuff, hand-placed quests), but the game's freedom hooked me so bad even worse than Freelancer. The lander part always reminds me of Mass Effect Mako driving, yet I find it far far less tedious than stupid Mako stuff. The combat is silly, yet I find it somewhat interesting and much more controllable than say, EV Nova. The aliens' design is beyond silly, yet I find them far more likable and even believable than Star Wars creations. And the humour, oh my god the homour! I laughed so hard that I almost got my face permanently disfigured.

And the control. WTF, it just uses the arrow keys + enter + spacebar! Who says that Molyneux Syndrome is bad?

Wyrmlord

Arcane
What is this...humour you speak of? There was no such thing in SC2. :?

The game's arcade-ish ship combat was beyond shitty. Why not some proper tactical fighting instead of a twitchfest?

But really addictive game outside of combat.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Shouldn't be in General RPG discussion (in before people calling a game that's not an RPG an RPG; cue five-page discussion on what is an RPG; commence flames because people still think Deus Ex = Fallout; nukes drop, Cleve grins)

Yeah, it's a good game. Not much to do though; so not much replay-value.

Wyrmlord

Arcane
This is not in dispute. Nobody I've heard of ever called SC2 a RPG. Seriously, who does?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
There's someone on this forum who does; so I just called it pre-emptively.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Oops, my bad, wrong placed topic.

I've heard the game is good for replaying in the old days when there was no such thing as internet and gamefaqs; so much things can be missed out in a single walkthrough (but hey, what old games isn't so?).

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Heresiarch said:
Oops, my bad, wrong placed topic.

I've heard the game is good for replaying in the old days when there was no such thing as internet and gamefaqs; so much things can be missed out in a single walkthrough (but hey, what old games isn't so?).

Ah, that's likely it; I used a clue-book. I shouldn't have.

Hümmelgümpf

Arbiter
Wyrmlord said:
What is this...humour you speak of? There was no such thing in SC2. :?
:shock:
Ha! Evil! Of Course We're Evil! Even Our House Pets Are Rather Evil.
We have an egalitarian society here. All are equal. Of course, that doesn't stop some people from being stupid fools or jerks.
As yet, the Ultimate Evil remains largely unmanifest, and its powers and exact intentions are still a bit obscure since it lurks just outside the range of even the most sensitive, long-range detectors which we feel gives conclusive evidence as to The Ultimate Evil's nefarious intent.

Fez

Erudite
Anthony Davis said:
I don't care if it *IS* an RPG in the eyes of the Codex, it is one of my all time favorite games.

SCII is pure gold. A great game, the modern freeware version that Jasede mentioned is good too. They've done a lot of work on it.

Hory

Erudite
Wyrmlord said:
This is not in dispute. Nobody I've heard of ever called SC2 a RPG. Seriously, who does?
What genre is it then?

Zomg

Arbiter
If you get Ur-Quan Masters, disable the voice acting, because it's shit and the humor was written to be read rather than heard.

As far as the RPG debate, SCII serves as the counterexample to the Choice and Consequences school of RPG definition, because there's a ton of it and it still doesn't feel like an RPG.

Hory

Erudite
95255045500zq5.gif

inwoker

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Anthony Davis said:
I don't care if it *IS* an RPG in the eyes of the Codex, it is one of my all time favorite games.
We don't care if it *IS* one of your favorite games. It's not an rpg definitely.

Hory

Erudite
Jeff Graw said:
Star Control II is a a really good game, but it still pales in comparison to the games it copied: the Starflight series.
How is Starflight better? I have tried getting into it several times, but Star Control 2 proved better in almost every aspect.

elander_

Arbiter
Jeff Graw said:
Star Control II is a a really good game, but it still pales in comparison to the games it copied: the Starflight series.

It didn't copied the starflight series because the creator of that series is also the guy who wrote the dialogs for star control 2.

Hory said:
How is Starflight better? I have tried getting into it several times, but Star Control 2 proved better in almost every aspect.

Yes Star Control 2 is better but the Starflight series is also awesome with the same intelligent dialogs and free form gameplay. Both game are memorable. It's also a lot more hardcore like all old games are, so use a walkthrough and read some hint book before you play it.

Starflight 2 can't be played without reading the manual. The manual is written in the old role-playing style as if it was written by Intersel for new captains to read (similar to Fallout manual for vault dwellers). It contains clues about the names of constellations that are necessary to solve the game plot.

Higher Game

Arcane
It's an adventure game with fighting and planet exploring minigames, and it's all awesome. Even the voice acting, though still inherently annoying, is good as far as those standards go.

Korgan

Arbiter
It has great dialogs and I absolutely loved the combat. One of the best games ever. If you never pressed a ruler to the screen to find the next Rainbow World, I pity you.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom