Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The most important thing to get down right is the Feats. PeePee can eventually fix any power selection problems, but it can be lived with thanks to PeePee being plentiful for starters and then provided fairly often by XP overflow.

Sentinel's Aegis goal means you'll want to combine its tanking potential with maximum damage you can get, since GWF's primary method of tanking is through self-healing via dealing damage while being highly resistant to damage when Unstoppable.

Ideally, your feats would look something like this (personally I'd go with Unstoppable Recovery instead of Scale Agility): http://nwcalc.com/gwf?b=cn4:13ydj4:13ydj4,13cku2i:100000:15u000:1uu0z1&h=0&p=smr

You will probably notice that this build will result in a huge amount of Power in your stats, which is good because you want to deal at least 2000 damage when you pop Daring Shout or Come And Get It.

The main thing with feat building in this game is that you have to go for the capstone and then allocate the 10 extra Paragon feat points you have left over where you want, which can diversify into other trees. So always focus on one tree and only then diversify once you reach the capstone, if at all. In regards to Ubiquitous Shield, don't even bother it's garbage, especially when compared to god-tier feats like Crit boosters.

The staple GWF at-will powers are Wicked Strike (or Weaponmaster's Strike) for AoE DPS, combined with either Sure Strike for single target DPS or Threatening Rush for mobility. GWF is actually best at dealing SUSTAINED AoE DPS, with encounters focused on spike damage instead. Just hold that Wicked Strike, go Unstoppable, and watch you deal constant barrage of AoE damage. Threatening Rush is most popular among PvPers due to its mobility (it used to have no Charge limit, but that was pretty borkered in a PvP situation).

In terms of encounter powers, Indomitable Battle Strike (AKA Adorable Battle Strike) is a staple choice for GWFs. Restoring Strike is another staple, and one you probably want to stick with especially when Sentinel capstone is used. If you use Sentinel feat tree, your AoE encounter will probably be either Daring Shout or Come And Get It for the additional benefits they provide, as Roar and Frontline Surge don't synch as well with the Sentinel Tree.

Indomitable Strike is a good Limit Break choice for single targets due to high damage, and Spinning Strike is good against crowds. Probably best GWF limit break at that, given that its damage is nowadays superior to Avalanche of Steel and Slam.

Weapon Master is THE class feature for Sentinel, due to their buffs for it. Ferocious Reaction is kind of meh IMO and unnecessary due to GWF's self-healing ability and Unstoppable, you should probably either go with Destroyer or Bravery instead.

Nowadays Marked grants automatic Combat Advantage (IIRC +25% damage, minimum) while jumping the giver of the Mark to the top of their aggro list, and normal Marks should go away when the enemy DEALS DAMAGE to you. Focused Marks (GF speciality) last forever until a new Focused Mark is given.

Controlled means anything that affects enemy movement in some manner, basically. Enemies that are Held, Paralyzed, Slowed, Rooted, Prone, Knocked, etc are all Controlled. DoT effects are NOT control effects unless they also slow or something like that.

Currently the best source of information regarding any of the game mechanics is probably asking here or looking into detailed specific build or class guides, given that the number-crunchers who make those also explain related mechanics.

Shannow

Waster of Time
1st: Thx for the answer.

PeePee can eventually fix any power selection problems, but it can be lived with thanks to PeePee being plentiful for starters and then provided fairly often by XP overflow.
What's PeePee?

Sentinel's Aegis goal means you'll want to combine its tanking potential with maximum damage you can get, since GWF's primary method of tanking is through self-healing via dealing damage while being highly resistant to damage when Unstoppable.
Which is why I chose it ;)

Ideally, your feats would look something like this (personally I'd go with Unstoppable Recovery instead of Scale Agility): http://nwcalc.com/gwf?b=cn4:13ydj4:13ydj4,13cku2i:100000:15u000:1uu0z1&h=0&p=smr
The link does not lead to a filled out sheet for me :(
EDIT: Now it does. I'll have a look at the feats./EDIT
EDIT2: Hmm, so you do suggest Deep Gash and going full Power. Any math to back that up?/EDIT2
But I already chose Unstoppable recovery. Scale Agilty would be for the left over points.

The main thing with feat building in this game is that you have to go for the capstone and then allocate the 10 extra Paragon feat points you have left over where you want, which can diversify into other trees. So always focus on one tree and only then diversify once you reach the capstone, if at all.
Been there, done that. (Don't forget, I'm lvl 51.)

The staple GWF at-will powers are Wicked Strike (or Weaponmaster's Strike) for AoE DPS, combined with either Sure Strike for single target DPS or Threatening Rush for mobility. GWF is actually best at dealing SUSTAINED AoE DPS, with encounters focused on spike damage instead. Just hold that Wicked Strike, go Unstoppable, and watch you deal constant barrage of AoE damage.
But WS feels so slow when I'm outside Unstoppable :P No big issue, I have the points in it anyway, so switching is not a problem. I'd keep T. Rush though. Which means I'd have to switch out Sure Strike. And I have Grudge Style :negative:

In terms of encounter powers, Indomitable Battle Strike (AKA Adorable Battle Strike) is a staple choice for GWFs. Restoring Strike is another staple, and one you probably want to stick with especially when Sentinel capstone is used. If you use Sentinel feat tree, your AoE encounter will probably be either Daring Shout or Come And Get It for the additional benefits they provide, as Roar and Frontline Surge don't synch as well with the Sentinel Tree.
IBS only activates its secondary effects if I kill the enemy with it. Just doesn't sound that great. Come And Get it sounds good if I switch to Wicked Strike. But Frontline Sourge is great even without the accompanying feats ;)

Indomitable Strike is a good Limit Break choice for single targets due to high damage, and Spinning Strike is good against crowds. Probably best GWF limit break at that, given that its damage is nowadays superior to Avalanche of Steel and Slam.
You mean Indomitable Strength, right? Also: What's a limit break?

Nowadays Marked grants automatic Combat Advantage (IIRC +25% damage, minimum) while jumping the giver of the Mark to the top of their aggro list, and normal Marks should go away when the enemy DEALS DAMAGE to you.
That's what I expected when I first started using it. That's not what happens ingame though. The marks stay for ~15 seconds even if they deal dmg to me. Sometimes they lose the marks faster, but that just may some debuff-removal skills(?). Or perhaps my play style is too mobile and they need to get a direct hit off while I'm standing still? But I'm pretty sure even that happened...
That's the reason why I like Threatening Rush so much.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

PeePee = Power Point. Thank Eric Cartman for the abreviation.

The link doesn't have powers in it, I didn't feel that to be needed right away.

The thing with Deep Gash is that it's raw extra DPS, and you'll have at minimum 4k Power with proper gear at endgame. It's just a better choice than +10% at-will damage.

The perk in Indomitable Battle Strike is not its secondary effect. It's that it's just plain highest spike damage you can get, and thus highly desirable.

And yea, Indomitable Strength is what I meant. Limit Break is just what I call Daily Powers, due to their gauge mechanic which reminds me of Final Fantasy. Sounds better than Daily Power.

I'm not particularly familiar with GWF Mark mechanics, so it could be that the GWF Marks run off a timer effect unlike GF Marks (since GF applies Marks at whim). It does bear mention that GWF doesn't really need to stay mobile unless necessary, because the class is built to facetank hits.

EDIT: Here's how I'd build a Sentinel Iron Vanguard, with powers: http://nwcalc.com/gwf?b=lpv:27wr0g:1gehfk,13cku2i:100000:15u000:1uu0z1&h=0&p=ivn

All stat points go to Str and Con, though some might substitute some or all Con for Dex. Str is not to be compromised on, it's all in for that.

Last edited:

Shannow

Waster of Time
The thing with Deep Gash is that it's raw extra DPS, and you'll have at minimum 4k Power with proper gear at endgame.
Don't get me wrong. I already have 1 point in it. Put it there before I thought about the actual numbers.:oops:
With 4k its 800dmg over 6 seconds and only on crits. As it is written, it seems rather puny by itself. It doesn't even say if bleeds stack upon each other. Though I wouldn't expect that. So what I'd expect: ~130 DPS. (On average you hit enemies so often that a crit will hit them in the first few seconds. So the whole thing only procing on crits doesn't seem like as big an issue as I first thought).
Right now Sure Strike deals ~600-2000 dmg every second. That should go up with levls/gear. 10% additional dmg --> ~660 - 2200 DPS. This means that with my current dmg the 10% are already comparable to what I'd expect from Deep Gash late game... (I still don't intend to take Great Weapon Focus ;) )
Now if Deep Gash did 800 dmg every second for 6 seconds or if it stacked...
Overall my feats are close to what you suggest. But I didn't realize the beauty of crits when I was lvl ~30. So now I have to go back and take devastating crit. That means I can only put 2 points in disciple of war. Oh well. Does the game give a free respec at any point?

Vaarna_Aarne

I'm... Not sure, actually. But respeccing feats costs Astral Diamonds (potatoes). It's a hefty price tag if you don't have Leadership 20 alts, but afterwards it's not that bad. Kinda like transmutation.

Gerrard

Arcane
The GWF marks now work on timer since last mod update. Personally I would take Student of the Sword and Vicious Advantage instead of Destroyer feats to make even better use of Daring Shout.

Vaarna_Aarne

Well that's good, given that GWF didn't really have much in the way of NOT losing their Marks immediately after getting them.

Shannow

Waster of Time
So it appears my ~30% crit chance was a bug since it's down to ~21% today :negative:
(Or I looked wrong last time. But I also feel like I critted far less today than I did yesterday before the maintanance...)
Switched to Indomitable Battle Strike and realized it's a (short) cone and not single target as I'd previously thought :oops: So I'll deny all my previous claims and now join in in singing its praises.
Turns out I can't put points into Devestating Critical anymore since the lower feat tiers are now locked :/ So I'll go for full Deep Gash/Disciple of War after all.
Respec atm costs 57k astral. "Slightly" over my current budget, but not insanely expensive.
Since I do want Devestating Crit, I'll do a respec eventually. The advantage is that I'll have a better feeling for stuff then and can decide if I switch to Student of the Sword and Vicious Advantage. Depends strongly on whether I really gain automatic combat advantage vs marked foes or not. And whether they keep the current marked features or nerf them.

Vaarna_Aarne

Refining serves as a daily cap to acquiring Astral Diamonds, unrefined potato is not useable currency. This is why multiple alts are good.

Shannow

Waster of Time
So you later get boatloads of rough astral so that restictions on refining matter? (With leadership and stuff?) Why not restric the amount of astral you can get per day. Period.? I don't understand the significance...:oops:
And how do alts come into play here? Is rough astral shared account wide?
(I only got my alt up yesterday and haven't really experimented or read up on stuff. So sry if the questions seem stupid.)

Vaarna_Aarne

You can ship refined astral between alts at no cost, best way is by posting an offer on Astral Diamond Exchange (note: An offer that will never get taken, usually 1 Zen for 50 Diamonds), then using the destination character either in-game or on Gateway to cancel the offer and withdraw the diamonds.

And the refining limit is per character, and with maximum leadership you will most likely have a 11265 Astral Diamonds minimum (assuming you do double rotation, absolute minimum daily flow is 5800), and that can go up to a little over 20k on good days. The refining limit comes into play when you have lots of absolutely useless purple quality items lying around in your inventory, as you can salvage these for unrefined Astral Diamonds. When you have over a hundred Drake Seals like your truly (Gerrard, what's the best Drake item for cash-in salvage?), you'll be hitting daily refining cap for a while.

eklektyk

Erudite
u can also cash-in once on skirmishes/dungeon quests from rix [1k or 3k per quest - that is if u lvlup took them for later turn-in]
plus thers daily quests from protector if ur really bored and dailies from dread ring have pretty high chance on purple items [so after u wear full dr set its pure rough ad from there on]
on good day i can slightly go over 24k limit on few farms but as vaarna said it oscilates around 10k to 20k average per farm [with bad days around 6k per]

Norfleet

Well, one can never have too many minerals. I know this good friend, an eggy one, who will pay good money for those minerals, so you should strive to get more. BUILD MORE FARMS!

Shannow

Waster of Time
So what's the cheapest/fastest way to get high lvl (rare or better) companions and mounts? Simply buying them for zen costs 2500 zen. (If I do buy them I'd skip the rare stuff and go straight for epic since I'd eventually want epic anyway and "wasting money" on rare simply increase that timeframe even more.)
At astral to zen ~ 500:1 and perhaps ~20k astral per day that'd take roughly 60 days... With some special offer you might be lucky and shorten that by ~20%.
After a year you have enough whatsitcalled coins to buy the Angel companion.
A key for a lockbox costs 800 zen. That's still 20 days without any guarantee of getting something I actually want.
Action house epic companions seem to range from 500k astral upwards with buyouts around 1.5 mio astral. --> 25 - 75 days. Considering the lower availability and choice that's worse than buying them for zen IMO...

I was more thinking about getting such stuff in 1-2 weeks :P
Do they drop randomly anywhere, or is there some good stuff guaranteed as reward from certain campaigns(tages)?

Vaarna_Aarne

When it comes to companions, the one that matters the most is getting a Cat/Stone (minimum blue quality). Those are the ones that have high-end effect on you thanks to being essentially a pile of extra enchantments and gear. Cat costs potatoes, Stones cost Zen or potatoes on AH. They also regularly have Skirmish events which can give companions (I suppose the Lizardfolk Shaman is p. nice for most folks). They're probably going to have a big Christmas sale on companions again this year.

As for mounts, you just save up (either shekels or potatoes) in order to get Zen for a Stormrider Clydesdale (or Cleverider in short). The store mounts are accountwide (personally I avoid one-shot purchases in Z-Store whenever I use it), so you get the max speed horsie for all your once and future alts. You should wait either for a mount discount Coupon drop or a sale for the Cleverider when you are ready to get it. And yes, when it comes to mounts if you get one from the store, go straight to purple quality and maximum speed since that's what you're here for. Also of note is that the Legendary mounts from jewboxes are nothing more than novelty mounts, statistically the only difference to the Cleverider is bragging rights. Heck, all the other epic mounts besides the Cleverider in the store are just more expensive due to bragging rights.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I am afraid there are only 2 ways: spend real Shekelz or grind potatos until you have the desired amount to convert.
The problem in NWO is, to grind potatos en masse you need to have several lvl20 leadership farmhands. Setting those up alone takes weeks, if not months. But once you are there, the potatos grow on trees and fall of the sky. I started playing 6 months ago I think, never bought anything for months until I could buy a hairy pussy companion. Now I have 5 of 8 farms at max level and can throw potatos around with both hands. Moneyz comes in so quick you can suddently buy a pony and still have enough to waste 500k on armor for a rarely played toon.

Don't do lockboxes! That is reserved for arabian princes.
The angel companion is bought with the permanent pray tokens, so you need to pray 365 days to have enough (IIRC it costing 365).

Just keep updating leadership twice a day, you are in it for the long run.

EDIT: Curse you Aarne for typing faster than me! :argh:

I love my Stormu Cleverideru:love:

Vaarna_Aarne

So yea, best course of action I would say is to use shekels either for getting character slots, or character slots and a Cleverider. Character slots are the thing you need and desire since each character slot in use = moar monees.

Standard plan of attack:

1) Get character slots
2) Make characters
3) Level up to prayer+professions
4) Loan Sloppy's Alchemy stuff in order to unlock 100% speed bonus and Rank 3 result slots
5) Start raising Leadership
6) Start farming Leadership
7) Cybershekelz

Probably the first thing I'd invest potatoes into is getting green quality dudes for Leadership (Men-at-Arms; these will net you two hours of flexibility for a daily double rotation) or just Rank 3 leadership whiteys (Footmen) so you don't have to waste time recruiting vast hordes of dudes. It should be noted that while higher tier assignments need higher rank dudes to run, the speed up guys can be random mooks of any rank (all whiteys are +5%, so their rank is irrelevant in this function).

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Is the first buyers pack promo still running? When I spent my only 10 Shekelz on NWO I got 1 free char slot, a blue dawg companion(Infinipuppy reduces thread, great for hunters), an extra bag and other stuff for buying 5 zen, plus a green archer companion acc unlock for buying 10 in total.
DOES NOT WORK WHEN BUYING THROUGH STEAM! So watch out if you intend to buy.

That said, since your main toon is a GWF IIRC, you only need the white cleric to patch you up after the fight on your way to the top. Once you're wearing T2 and an artifact weapon, you are an unstopple behemoth without need for anything except an augment companion (cat/ioun stone) to make you even moah badass. Lifesteal and healing strike plus the occasional potion is all the support you need.

EDIT: I wouldn't count on a sale for the Cleverider, Cryptic only discounts the stuff nobody buys. And the Cleverider is a top seller, being the cheapest purple pony. Best hope is a lucky coupon drop. I waited several weeks for one, then I gave up and bought it anyway. Well of the dragons is a chore without a four-legged rocket to ride on.

Last edited:

Vaarna_Aarne

I *think* it's permanent.

Personally I'd say the dawg is better for Clerics, though Ranger is definately a solid alternative when it comes to sniper action.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I just mentioned Hunter because I used him there. Every class aside from GWF/GF benefits from a reliable distraction. Again, I can speak for my Cleric who really lacks someone like that. Poor Cleric got gangraped by the first mob group I tried her on after her time off.

Wild Slop

Arcane
HD arrived today, sooner sooner than expected, and I found a version of Windows -hopefully these won't give me any problems, or I at least ones I can't deal with.

Now a game related question is do any of you mess with Arc? I thought it needless added bloat to an already adequate launcher but since I am now installing fresh I'm wondering: Is there is any good reason a person might want to avoid?

It would be nice to take advantage of the gimmicky trinkets them toss out via Arc codes but if it comes with strings attached I will reconsider.

Vaarna_Aarne

You can use either Arc or Steam or look up an older installer.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom