Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Just started playing this. Can the Great Weapons Fighter tank...?
Only when you are unstoppable (the class feature; build up RAEG and have fun). Outside unstoppable you better run out of the red zones. Trust me, i spent a lot of time on the floor...

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
And to elaborate on that, GWF is in any build a very formidable tank. Of particular note is that GWF's tanking capability is almost entirely passive.

The basic method is that Unstoppable is used a LOT by GWF, with Unstoppable jacking up damage resistance values to extreme levels, which then enables GWFs to use outgoing damage to self-heal through Life Steal as well as powers like Restoring Strike.

You won't notice it at first however, GWF is a slow starter when it comes to the extended tutorial (you start to et all the good shit when you get Wicked Strike at-will).

sser

Arcane
Developer
Alright, made a human guardian and a halfling hunter. Pretty interesting game, but the start is definitely boring as fuck. Can you PVP/dungeon your way through this or do I have to run fetch quests for awhile?

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, you COULD... But ultimately just doing the legwork is just a whole lot more efficient. However, we have things to speed you along on your merry way in the Guild Vault, like Dragonbone weapons (these scale with level, so they're the best thing ever for leveling new alts to level cap).

Things to know:

1) The profession you need the most is Leadership, put all your focus to it. Wild Slop can hit you up with some goodies on loan that you can use to unlock two extra slots to speed this up.
2) Invoke every day once you can. First, you'll want to just get the 6/7 Celestial Coins campaign chests though, and use them to build up campaign stuff for Sharandar (it's the first campaign, and the most tedious even with maximum lazy bastard efficiency, so it's helpful to come prepared).

sser

Arcane
Developer
Well, you COULD... But ultimately just doing the legwork is just a whole lot more efficient. However, we have things to speed you along on your merry way in the Guild Vault, like Dragonbone weapons (these scale with level, so they're the best thing ever for leveling new alts to level cap).

Things to know:

1) The profession you need the most is Leadership, put all your focus to it. Wild Slop can hit you up with some goodies on loan that you can use to unlock two extra slots to speed this up.
2) Invoke every day once you can. First, you'll want to just get the 6/7 Celestial Coins campaign chests though, and use them to build up campaign stuff for Sharandar (it's the first campaign, and the most tedious even with maximum lazy bastard efficiency, so it's helpful to come prepared).

Do you guys have a clan/guild? I literally just started. Got the guardian to 10 since being a warrior tank was the only fun I had in WoW (lots of abilities), and leveling up my hunter for some PVP action (in WoW I also leveled a rogue; so warrior was PVE, rogue PVP).

Vaarna_Aarne

Yep, we have a Guild and a private chat channel. Post your Charname@username here and one of us will send you the invites. The handle is specific, incidentally, so for example in case of my Drow Warlock it looks like Ulvein Auvryndar@vaarnaaarne, not ulveinauvryndar@vaarnaaarne. The game in general has a pretty good chat interface (and it allows chatting between this, Star Trek Online, and Champions Online too) and friend log-in alert.

Gerrard

Arcane
Alright, made a human guardian and a halfling hunter. Pretty interesting game, but the start is definitely boring as fuck. Can you PVP/dungeon your way through this or do I have to run fetch quests for awhile?
You can PvP, do dungeons/skirmishes and foundry quests, all of that gives XP. There's an event that makes foundry quests give bonus XP for an hour as well.

Don't get too focused on the idea of "tanking" role though, Neverwinter does what GW2 aimed to much better in the department of self sustainability of classes.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Alright, well I'm gonna log on and play for an hour or so. Maybe more.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I'd suggest we meet up near the end of the event. That means we only have to suffer each other's ugly mugs once. It's more efficient.

Give me one as well. I probably shouldn't have started playing Neverwinter since I tend to go crazy for this kind of shit, but here we are... and man is it a great game.

qau'lthir@qaulthizchilitr

Gerrard

Arcane
I think you misspelled something, I'm pretty sure it was possible to send invites even to offline players.

I'd suggest we meet up near the end of the event. That means we only have to suffer each other's ugly mugs once. It's more efficient.
Of course it would be the best on the last day, but having everyone on then might be a problem.

Shannow

Waster of Time
I think you misspelled something, I'm pretty sure it was possible to send invites even to offline players.

Of course it would be the best on the last day, but having everyone on then might be a problem.
I'd suggest the 7th of Jan. Around 18:00 CET

bloodlover

Arcane
Don't get too focused on the idea of "tanking" role though, Neverwinter does what GW2 aimed to much better in the department of self sustainability of classes.

Could you go into more detail please? I thought GF was the mandatory needed tank in the game.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Could you go into more detail please? I thought GF was the mandatory needed tank in the game.
"Mandatory needed" he said... aren't you adorable... uuuuuh don't let Sloppy hear me. Why would you need a tank if you can just kill anything quick WITH FIRE. Or lightning. Or THE WILL OF THE DIVINE WILL OF THE DIVINE WILL ah shut up cleric companion.
No seriously, don't get to focussed on serving some vital role in a group. All classes are pretty much kicking ass without any help, so dmg is usually preferred over... tanking. Sloppy actually healed more than my cleric thanks to his at-will and life steal.
Aaaaand if you think about ruling PvP as a GF.. I think you might be in for a suprise. The unpleasant kind.
That said, I would just stick to a class that is fun to play/looks good while doing it.

If PvP IS your endgoal, better switch to TR/SW/CW or the divine bringer of incline (also known as cleric) while you can. Hunter is okay too.

eklektyk

Erudite
if u want to pvp open ur wallet as otherwise grind for needed shit to be competent at is is soooooooo long :D
or u can build aditional pylons and after like 6 months and 32 farms later u forgot about pvp and simply colect potato ...moar potato ...potato FOR A POTATO GOD!!!!!1ONE11!!11!11

Gerrard

Arcane
Once they eventually add guild keeps or whatever we will know who to ask for funding.
:neveraskedforthis:The 1%.

Vaarna_Aarne

GF is a very useful class because of their ability to direct aggro and provide party buffs, but the gist in Neverwinter is that a party needs good players, not specific classes.

If PvP IS your endgoal, better switch to TR/GWF/SW/CW or the divine bringer of incline (also known as cleric) while you can. Hunter is okay too.
Let's be honest here.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Let's be honest here.
The Super Effective PvP 30k+ GS Crowd (tm) seems to disagree here. He may be reasonable hard to kill during unstoppable, but his dmg output is severely lacking compared to the rest.

Of course, all that applies only to an average player with a standard build. A good player with a build finetuned for PvP can certainly outclass supposedly "better" PvP classes.

Hunter and Rogue just have an easier time even with bad equipment. Rogue for example can pretty much permastealth, with attacks from stealth being automatic crits, he doesn't have to worry about a high crit stat. Hunter on the other hand has large AoE fields, that deal a shitton of dmg to whoever walks into it. Thornweeds and RoA kill the phylactery (my preferred dmg indicator) pretty much alone while I shift around to avoid dmg. And that's without even using aimed shot before. Or everyone's favorite "OMG you cheat" foxshift.
Biggest problem in PvP seems to be the low HP of some classes, making the fragile against the powercreep.

But you are right about the SW, I mixed it up: he is among the top during PvE, but PvP is not his strong suit.

Also: don't try to downplay the awsomeness of the divine inclinator! :argh:

Vaarna_Aarne

Attacks from stealth aren't auto-crits (combat advantage, actually), and I'm not sure if permastealth is even possible or feasible anymore.

And GWF has been top dawg of PvP for a long time. The reason they were knocked down a peg recently was because other classes got improved as well, and they can't knock-chain anymore.

Gerrard

Arcane
Attacks from stealth aren't auto-crits
Uh, did you actually play TR recently? All attacks while in stealth are crits now.

Also apparently I'm the only person left with gifts?

E: CLEAVE AND SMITE

x96aTfZ.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom