Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

Alright, cool. Only three more levels to go until I hit 60 so I guess it'd been a moot point either way... my friend will be glad that he can partake in the fun though!

Also: I wanted to know what the... shtick of the warlock is. I've seen wizards going the same amount of damage whilst having stupid amounts of CC and that kind of made me wonder what role the Warlock is supposed to fill when the CC-related abilities aren't quite as hard hitting as their wizard counterparts. I'm not at the endgame though so I could be wrong in my feelings on the matter but it never hurts to ask!

the warlock can be an area healer but, most of all, is a self healer. he's the king of life leech, sometimes going from almost dead to full health is a matter of seconds while you're not sacrificing damage. also several of his skills are most effective when you're on the move, looking for the best angle, which is a lot more fun than "stand there and press buttons" like the vanilla mage.

and two of his dailies can hit for humongous damage. if well placed can obliterate whole groups.

Gerrard

Arcane
The warlock's shtick is filling your entire screen with numbers.
dx2BYUh.jpg

The misfortune of warlock is that the "Control" wizard can not only control, but also debuff the enemies, buff party members, AND deal massive damage. Basically whoever is responsible for class design has a massive hard on for the CW.

Oh well. I need a potato alt anyway so levelling a wiz up on the side won't hurt that much. Pylons, pylons, pylons, pylons.

It still sucks that they can't get their roles straight though. If the Warlock is supposed to be pure damage then that's fine so long as there isn't a class which deals the same amount of damage but also has vast amounts of utility & CC as well. But that's how MMOs are: there will always be one of "those" classes.

Norfleet

Well, until they nerf it, anyway. That's another thing about MMOs: Anything worth it will be nerfed until it isn't.

bloodlover

Arcane
Is it worth getting a hedache about skill point distribution or just w/e and reset at 60 for endgame content?

I started rolling a warlock yesterday and so far she's enjoayble to play with. Does the soul puppet have any kind of use whatsoever?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
It still sucks that they can't get their roles straight though. If the Warlock is supposed to be pure damage then that's fine so long as there isn't a class which deals the same amount of damage but also has vast amounts of utility & CC as well. But that's how MMOs are: there will always be one of "those" classes.
Unless I am mistaken, SW is a better dmg dealer than a CW with a similar GS. PvE that is.
Cryptic went for an approach similar to SWTOR, where every class is able solo the normal content. But where SWTOR requires you to die several times before you manage to beat a boss, Neverwinter went for a more casual approach. When it comes to endgame raids, NW thanfully did NOT go the balanced group route, they just made everybody heal themselves and deal dmg.
I for one approve of that. Since playing a dedicated healer is usually a thankless and nofun job, finding someone good at it is a rare gem, treasured for all eternity. Trust me, been there, done that.
Of course, one of the reasons is having PvP. This is always a tricky part to balance and make it enjoable for every class, so Cryptic just went with the "moah dmg for everyone" plan. With modest success.
Also don't forget that Cryptic is somewhat bound to the D&D rules, they can't just add things as they like.

So let's be honest here: right now dungeon raiding is pretty much dead, no reason aside from bragging rights. Epic Lolmouth maybe, but it's short and doesn't really require tactics aside from a high GS. And the ability to jump on platforms.

That said, I really would like to finally kill Valindraaaaaaaaaa one day. :argh:

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Is it worth getting a hedache about skill point distribution or just w/e and reset at 60 for endgame content?

I started rolling a warlock yesterday and so far she's enjoayble to play with. Does the soul puppet have any kind of use whatsoever?
Vaarna_Aarne most likely posted a build here somewhere. Even if you have respec tokens from the winter event, I would not use them just for that.
I can't help your there because my SW is just a praybot. The class is absolutly not my cup of tea.
When I leveled the last 4 levels during bonus XP event, I asked myself the same question though: what use does that puppet have? I always forgot to spawn it and it dies after 5 or so hits anyway...

Gerrard

Arcane
It's funny how much better the game would be if it didn't have PvP at all. And they could focus on making more content instead.

Well, until they nerf it, anyway. That's another thing about MMOs: Anything worth it will be nerfed until it isn't.
They already "nerfed" it like 3 times, much crying was had at the forums. And every time they emerged stronger than before.

There's no free respecs though, unless you count the ones from the winter festival.

eklektyk

Erudite
u can go perma puppet route and that gives nice benefits to ur dmg and other stuffies :d plus u always have puppet :)

and yes nuke cannon warlock gets as last daily is masive dmg on crit and lulzy as hell

only shame is dead dungeons ...thers absolutely no point in running them now except geting +1 on collection as "finished" .....fo shame

bloodlover

Arcane
Can't you respect with zen ? I think it's like 300 zen or smth.

edit: I was thinking of going for fury spec. I think does waaaay more dmg.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Can't you respect with zen ? I think it's like 300 zen or smth.

edit: I was thinking of going for fury spec. I think does waaaay more dmg.
OMGCRAZY!!!!eleventyone. Why, in the name of the holy potato, WHY would you want to spend precious cybershekelz on that? Just mentioning it makes my heart bleed.
Better invest those shekelz in additional pylons to farm more minerals. THOSE can then be used for respec if nothing else helps.

I think my whorelock is a furry hellbringer or someting like that, because I had been told it would be totally hip now. No permanent puppet on that route though, it just uses killing flames, slit-your-wrist and MAH LASAH, while bitchslapping enemies with your giant at-will-hand.

Edit: dis one http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?736131-Daigotsu-Scourge-Warlock-Guide-by-quot-Leeroy-Jenkins-quot-of-GWF-Fame-)&p=9749841&posted=1#post9749841

Gerrard

Arcane
This is my Fury SW if you want some reference. It's Hellbringer but really the only thing I used from the path is Flames of Empowerment and No pity, No Mercy, both of which are kind of meh (SW has probably THE shittiest class features out of all classes).

http://nwcalc.com/sw?b=p32:1uu3oz:16f5ds,13liu0i:1z50z1:150000:100000&h=0&p=hlb
At-wills: Hand of Blight, Dark Spiral Aura
Encounters: Blades, Fiery Bolt, Dreadtheft, Curse Bite, Warlock's Bargain (depending on purpose)
Dailies: Tyrannical Threat all day erryday
Features: Shadow Walk and either Flames of Empowerment or No pity, No Mercy

Dark One's Blessing and Accursed Souls might be useful while leveling.

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
The thing with Wizard is really just that they will forever have to make it act like Wizards in PnP are expected to, so huge AoE damage is going to be a staple of the class.

Honestly, I still don't understand why they have the prefixes for the classes. I don't think they help anyone at all when it comes to explaining how classes work considering how much variation the new capstone focus in feat design gives.

EDIT: Anyway, for comparison with SW builds, I use a set-up that relies more on AoE multi-hit powers due to Spark generation utility. Harrowstorm and Blades are cast at the start of a fight with fingers crossed for crits, with Soul Scorch being used as a spam nuke if shit gets too rough for the innate resiliency of the class to handle. The Soul Sparks are kitted out to provide passive damage bonus and passive healing, so I usually start throwing Soul Scorch when it's needed, and always with Curse synergy (the DoT damage is HUGE on crits). Shadow Walk as the other class feature in order to provide extra active defense. At-wills are Hand of Blight and Essence Defiler (Defiler may be swapped for Dark Spiral).

Dailies always include Accursed Souls for healing burst, and either Tyrannical Threat (amazing) or Brood of Hadar (looks nice, easy to use).

Last edited:

SerratedBiz

Arcane
Right now I'm torn between a DC and a HR. Both are in their mid 20s so it's not like a serious time investment on either, but with the recent mod 5 it's really hard to come across reliable information regarding their viability. It seems that hybrid HR used to be good until just now and that DC is now better than it has ever been, but both statements are ambiguous at best for someone with little experience like me.

What would you guys recommend? And do you have a nice all-purpose build for either?

bloodlover

Arcane
OMGCRAZY!!!!eleventyone. Why, in the name of the holy potato, WHY would you want to spend precious cybershekelz on that? Just mentioning it makes my heart bleed.
Better invest those shekelz in additional pylons to farm more minerals. THOSE can then be used for respec if nothing else helps.

I think my whorelock is a furry hellbringer or someting like that, because I had been told it would be totally hip now. No permanent puppet on that route though, it just uses killing flames, slit-your-wrist and MAH LASAH, while bitchslapping enemies with your giant at-will-hand.

Edit: dis one http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?736131-Daigotsu-Scourge-Warlock-Guide-by-quot-Leeroy-Jenkins-quot-of-GWF-Fame-)&p=9749841&posted=1#post9749841

That is the build I am using too. Does Hand of Blight get better in the future without using it as melee? I am still having a bit of a hard time understanding the curse mechanics but I am just level 21 so np.

Vaarna_Aarne

The ranged DPS on Hand of Blight is only slightly lower than that of the basic flame triple tap. There's no reason NOT to use Hand of Blight, especially because Blades of Vanquished Armies is the best Warlock spell and requires you to get up close and personal.

I'd also like to point out that the puppet Stand being permanent isn't that of a big deal in itself. The big deal are the passive bonuses to damage and damage resistance, that's what makes it the "jack-of-all-trades" path for Warlock.

The curse mechanic is fairly simple. There are three types of Curse in the game, and all share the common function of Curse Synergy, which is special effects on spells when cast on targets who are Cursed. Usually the Curse is consumed when the spell hits. Some spells have a synergy which happens when a Curse is applied, such as Harrowstorm which deals a bit of spike damage and knocks the target upwards (currently possible to do multiple times if you mash Tab like crazy), but consumes Harrowstorm.

Besides the synergy effects common to them, there are three types of Curse that can be applied. First is Warlock's Curse, which is the Tab ability of the class. It's essentially a way of tagging up to three targets for extra damage and extra spell effects. The three latest targets you have Cursed will be the ones affected by your Tab curse. The extra damage starts at 30% bonus, but if you Curse more than one target the bonus is divided along the targets (= 1 30%, 2 15%, or 3 10% Curses). There is no limit to applying Warlock's Curse except the number of targets, so apply it whenever you feel like it, and always at the start of the fight. Warlock's Curse is applied nigh instantly, so you can Curse three targets in less than a second if you're fast enough.

Second is Lesser Curse, which deals a negligible DoT damage effect on the target. Lesser Curses have no target limit, but are only applied via feat procs, so you'll probably have one at a time applied at best. The main perk in Lesser Curse is that it works just the same for synergy effects as Warlock's Curse, so you get a little more leeway.

Finally, there's Tyrannical Curse. This is a special curse that is only applied by pressing Tab while the Daily spell Tyrannical Threat is active. Tyrannical Threat causes targets affected to deal 30% of the damage you deal them to all enemies within a certain (quite large) distance around them. It's probably the best mob clearing power in the game when used right. Can tag up to three targets like regular Tab Curse, I think. Tyrannical Curse takes longer to apply than Warlock's Curse, which is important to know so you don't get unwanted ass-beatings.

Gerrard

Arcane
That is the build I am using too. Does Hand of Blight get better in the future without using it as melee? I am still having a bit of a hard time understanding the curse mechanics but I am just level 21 so np.
The thing about Hand of Blight for Fury build is that it deals necrotic damage, which triggers Creeping Death.

sser

Arcane
Developer
For the Guardian Fighter, should I be looking at the Tactical option or the protector one? I noticed the Tactical one's end-game had an ability boost for the whole party which sounds super useful. I think the more normalized tank one debuffed enemy damage.

Vaarna_Aarne

Guardians seem to be either Tactical or Conqueror in my experience. Conqueror is a big increase in damage, and Tactical with Swordmaster path (possibly even without, Swordmaster just enables periods of invulnerability) is actually probably tankier than Protector because of Daily spam. Conqueror is also tanky as hell because that's what the class does.

Gerrard

Arcane
Am I the only person who's been thinking for a long while we should make a new thread where we can actually put useful shit in the first post?

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Right now I'm torn between a DC and a HR. Both are in their mid 20s so it's not like a serious time investment on either, but with the recent mod 5 it's really hard to come across reliable information regarding their viability. It seems that hybrid HR used to be good until just now and that DC is now better than it has ever been, but both statements are ambiguous at best for someone with little experience like me.

What would you guys recommend? And do you have a nice all-purpose build for either?
Can't go wrong with either of those. My current "really played" chars are DC, HR and GWF for a reason.

The DC has become such an unstoppable beast now, it is finally FUN (take that Norfleet!) to play after the long nofun time. The wiki seems to be outdated and I can't look now, but I think she is a righteous Divine Oracle in a High Prophet set. The set is only T1, but the ability to debuff enemy's armor by 30% is hard to beat by anything else. DC also gets the best class artifact, the BiS active artifact you'll want to claim with all your alts anyway. Playstyle is like a walking bomb and your high defense/self heal mean you don't really take dmg doing so. It's also very group friendly, since instead of dealing OMGUBERDMG you can buff allies by using divine glow/hallowed ground for about 30%(?) extra dmg/def and debuff enemies resistance by another 20% or so. On top of the 30% from your armor. My dmg record lies at 158000 dmg with a single empowered daunting light on a debuffed dragon. At 13k GS. Yes, DC is pretty OP now. :smug:

My hunter is pure archery spec, so I cannot comment on a hybrid spec. But archery is definitly among the top dmg dealers out there. Dmg mostly comes from AoE fields, so you have to "plan the battefield" a little before you start the action. The only "downside" during leveling is, you should bring a tanky companion, hoping that he keeps them away for a while to work your magic. HR plays definitly a lot more twitchy than the other classes, shifting around A LOT to avoid dmg. Def isn't his strong suit (I guess hybrid/melees fare better).

As I always like to point out, I use the phylactery in the Phantafort as an indicator how much DPS my toons spit out (a stationary object you have to kill ASAP or the boss respawns). While the DC can kill it extremly quick with some lucky crits, the hunter pretty much vaporizes it at a lower GS and useless set boni. IIRC the base crit chance is much higher (plus feat effects from the archery tree), therefore crits come more regulary.

Vaarna_Aarne

He probably means hybrid in the "no capstone" sense, since even Archer rangers will use their melee powers a lot. Builds that don't have a capstone are very rare nowadays because capstones got a huge buff for all classes.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom