Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter new pics - OH GAWD ITZ HEAVAN

Vaarna_Aarne

Notorious Internet Vandal
MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Those jewboxes? They've never had anything especially valuable to them.
Nope, crafting the dailys and the timed activities for the most part. The boxes are just a cheap facebookish attempt at forcing people to pay.
I always been curious if those things actually sell a lot, since they seem tailor-made to appeal to gamblers.

Also daily crafting as in the normal profession crafting or something else? And as for timed activities, this is about the hourly rotation as well and not the occasional timed event?

Lhynn

Arcane
Those jewboxes? They've never had anything especially valuable to them.
Nope, crafting the dailys and the timed activities for the most part. The boxes are just a cheap facebookish attempt at forcing people to pay.
I always been curious if those things actually sell a lot, since they seem tailor-made to appeal to gamblers.

Also daily crafting as in the normal profession crafting or something else? And as for timed activities, this is about the hourly rotation as well and not the occasional timed event?
Yeah, hourly rotation that keeps the sheep focused on a single activity according to a schedule. Hourly pray time, etc.
Its a fucking disgusting skinners box, and hands down the worst i have seen in the market.

Gerrard

Arcane
The only timed event that matters is GG, and there isn't really another way to do it, as it requires a lot of people in the same place at the same time to work (good luck trying to solo queue for the PvP part as Delzoun).

There's also little point to doing dailies after you finish the campaigns. The Sharandar one offers a good reward in the form of fey blessing enchant, but DR is like "Here's a 1% chance to get this artifact, have fun!".
Next update will add like 12 new artifacts to chose from, and the DD keys will lessen the importance of the DD event (which is really only important if you're still gearing up, if you want stuff to sell you can just run at any time).

Gerrard

Arcane
I don't know, the extra black ice damage might make a difference. Also the gear has special extra anchant slots.
Wizard one looks pretty cool, GWF one looks like Sauron.

Leveling weaponsmithing the most efficient way
PgSqbP7.png

I can outfit an army.

Gerrard

Arcane
Yeah, they are all +3 now, but I still have a while to rank 14 which is where you get first +4 recipes. I'll probably have to temporarily employ one more bag.

eklektyk

Erudite
nice "chain" factory there ... :)

and i recently upgraded my rogues lesser terror to normal and oh boy does it feel GOOD :)

btw we doin any dungeon ??? i want it tested properly and not only on daily grinds

Vaarna_Aarne

Well, whenever I'm around, STO or NW, just holler at me and more than likely I can come run a dungeon. If not immediately, than in 5-15 minutes.

Gerrard

Arcane
There's DD in 25 minutes, I might be able to make it. And don't worry about missing people, we can probably find someone, not from LFG.

Have any particular dungeon in mind?

Gerrard

Arcane
Yeah, I apparently got the wrong hour (didn't check in game), sorry about that. Tomorrow will be 4PM 10PM (for me), so we can go on any of those.

eklektyk

Erudite
since recently im grinding double rep [sharandar and ring] on my 7 alts interspersed with professions and taking advantage of double xp weekend to lvlup companions im pretty much all day present :)

editty:

was curious and opened 25 wondrus coffers from praying and:
1 aquamarine
18 peridots
like 3 protwards

and rest junk .... no coal in sight ....great job craptic

Last edited:

Gerrard

Arcane
Buy more keys, goy!

Weaponsmithing half-a-bar to 20
4cKLDZJ.png
One week to Icewind Dale. More artifact! Mpre power creep! Yay!

Gerrard

Arcane
Sucks they didn't show them at max level, some of them have really good stats.

It would be awesome if we'd get something like the keep management from NWN2 for guild housing some day.

KoolNoodles

Arcane
This is a game that interested me and I'm a cheap bastard so it fits the bill(free). I also enjoy STO, so if they model the game along those lines I can see this being good(as in, a F2P game that doesn't ruin the actual game if you don't buy anything).

So, is it any good? Just a quick and dirty synopsis or something. Is the combat like every other ground based MMO? I could put up with STO space combat, because it's space and I'm flying around in Star Trek shit. Do parties actually do party-based stuff, as in, are the quests complex at all? I've got some people I could play through with if I convinced them, but not going to download if it's same old stuff. Does any part of it actually feel like playing AD&D on the computer?

Vaarna_Aarne

This is a game that interested me and I'm a cheap bastard so it fits the bill(free). I also enjoy STO, so if they model the game along those lines I can see this being good(as in, a F2P game that doesn't ruin the actual game if you don't buy anything).

So, is it any good? Just a quick and dirty synopsis or something. Is the combat like every other ground based MMO? I could put up with STO space combat, because it's space and I'm flying around in Star Trek shit. Do parties actually do party-based stuff, as in, are the quests complex at all? I've got some people I could play through with if I convinced them, but not going to download if it's same old stuff. Does any part of it actually feel like playing AD&D on the computer?
Well depends a lot on how you interpret AD&D. Me, I think it captures the feel of how I'd picture high-level d20 to be like, very over-the-top, comic book like action. The key thing is that Neverwinter does not directly use any d20 mechanics, but rather uses an action game-like system refined from Champions and STO.

I'd say it's a very good game overall, having a good fast-paced action core with a character system that makes a difference and that emphasises quality over quantity. You have fewer abilities than norm for MMOs, but all of those abilities are very important, and on top of which each class comes with certain unique mechanics (ie, the Cleric has a fighting game style second power bar used to cast "EX" versions of their spells, the two Fighter classes don't get a dodge roll but instead either Sprint or Guard with a shield, etc). Also of note is that so far power creep has been tame, due to the steep diminishing returns for higher stats from equipment in the game (IIRC the jump from old Ancient equipment to Fomorian equipment was 1-3% increase in DPS). As for party-based content, I'll be the first to say that I wish there was more party-based content that wasn't about wading through a dungeon of varying degrees of difficulty encounters (if there's one thing you can say for NW, it's that its endgame content is more than happy to rape you in the ass if you fuck up), so it's largely just party composition and battle coordination tactics instead of stuff I'd find more interesting like puzzles making use of the different classes' abilities and the like. Then again, the Foundry hits that spot, given how flexible it is for an MMO UGC toolset (Foundry can support very complex mazes, architecture and scenarios, even if it has to adhere to linearity).

Regarding the paying end of stuff, currently Neverwinter has a pretty good state of things. There's not really anything genuinely useful outside of higher rank mounts and character slots (character slots are the big thing, since each will increase your income flow and lottery chances by 100% over just one slot) that's paywalled, most of it gravitates toward vanity stuff (and the choice between Cat and Ioun Stone companion is largely down to preference once you get some cashflow set up).

So really, give it a shot and see what you think.

Gerrard

Arcane
The game is based primarily on 4th edition, so already there's not much AD&D feel to be expected. Come to think of it, are there any other 4E cRPGs?

E: It's time
yHq5xPn.png

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom