Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights 1 - is it worth it?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Yeah, HotU is a fairly fun romp and has some innovative features: the puzzle ring, the demonic grappling hand.. some of the dungeons were great despite the combat encounters being facerolly (secret doors, teleportation). The music was stunning (Lith My'athar) and two of the boss battles stood out for me: the epic evil crew and the Valsharess.

I normally don't like epic rules but HotU is worth playing for its polish and mechanics that you don't see in other RPGs.

Theldaran

Liturgist
NWN OC is fun, but nothing special. I don't really get why it gets so much hate here on the fagdex, but OH WELL.

Anyway, the expansions are much better than the OC and Hordes of the Underdark (or Shadows of Undrentide, I forgot which one is better) is a gem. You should definitely play them.

It's not fun... going to the 4 cardinal directions to do shit and gather items is a poor substitute for real exploration. It felt like a chore.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
nn4.jpg

Yes, if you can get it to work without the online component. +M

It's such a pity they cropped and flipped Clyde Caldwell's wonderful cover art from adventure module I11 Needle.

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
There's is a FRUA version you can play offline.
How does it work? From what I recall when CRPGAddict played the game, there was an offline version there too, but it only offers the world with not much in it, and no possibility to get quests or do anything other than explore the maps. Do you know much about the FRUA version? I never played the original game but would be interested to see what the content's like if the FRUA has all content fully implemented.

Apostle Hand

Liturgist
Batshit Crazy
I really enjoyed original campaign, Hordes of the Underdark and Shadows of the Undrentide.

However, I have been strugling with Swordflight module, it's damn really hard.

Loostreaks

Learned
First act was pretty solid all around: strong ambiance, good change of scenery with some fun distractions ( arena, Never's tomb, etc). But it wen't downhill from there with overdone collect x plot devices structure for each act and fighting scores of enemies with little else in between.
Main story was no worse than any other standard in BW game: return of the Ancient evil ( main) aided by Betrayer ( secondary), which somehow makes more compelling antagonist than the former, even with motivations that end up falling apart under scrutiny.
Visuals and art were weaker than Infinity games, but this mostly falls into that rough period of transition 2D->3D.
OST was excellent, especially the main theme ( the best for Any rpg char creator)
Companions were no worse off: one dimensional, but amusing, memorable caricatures: death worshiping dwarven monk, clumsy elf, noble half orc, etc.
And for some reason, the game had less "explicit" romances, which at least added less cringe.
NWN would've been far better "trimmed down" with less dungeon delving, use of more interesting combat scenarios and removal of obsolete third act.
That said, I never got why people see "masterpieces" like KOTOR or Dragon Age as superior to it, especially by more "traditional" rpg fans.
This is the first ( and only) Bioware game where:
- stats mattered and you even had entirely different dialogue for low Int character( pretty damn hillarious at times, perfect for barbarian builds :P)
- non combat skills had actual use
- good amount of character builds, with clear structure and good balance of defining/flexibility ( what PoE failed at), especially with added prestige classes
- great modding tools

The Old Kiwi

Educated
Okay, I got my hands on NWN - a game that I have never played. I've never also played NWN2.

Ran NWN for half an hours when I had a little time today and I liked the graphics a lot (which surprised me because I hate "early 3D" stuff). They are just so clean and simple, it's almost adorable :D

So yeah, now on to the gameplay part - is it worth it?

I have also a lot of modules (official and fan made). I've heard that some of them are good and that the latest expansion is also fine?

I know it's biowarean crap but I liked KotoR and Mass Effect (didn't like Dragon Age), so yeah I'm ready to eat some shit here and there (in some cases everywhere) while I play.
There had been a chasm of a gap Between whatever it was I'd liked a lot before NWN 1 and when it finally came out, that I was champing at the bit. Some things felt awkward, but I played the hell out of the OC, then got SoU, which I really did enjoy a great deal.

I never finished the second expansion, though, and NWN2's tutorial beginning bogged down so badly, I gave up on that one. Dragon Age Origins was much better than NWN2, but it still was slow-starting, and I gave it up after about one third. A lot of that had to do with the really awful Bioware forums of the time, with purely nasty moderation (EA's "Answer HQ" diaster of a forum was MUCH worse, also).

Unwanted

Micormic

Unwanted
Overall I'd say it isn't, at least not for the content and engine Bioware themselves made.

The OC/Sou/Hotu weren't enjoyable at all for me, from the combat to the engine to the gameplay I found it a complete bore. I never played many custom mods so no idea if any of them are good, the top rates ones I played seemed overrated.

abradley4

Barely Literate
I really enjoyed original campaign, Hordes of the Underdark and Shadows of the Undrentide.

However, I have been strugling with Swordflight module, it's damn really hard.
Am happy with it also.

Sword Fight is known to be one of the toughest mods.

The best mod is said to be

The Aielund Saga Act I - Nature Abhors A Vacuum

Not sure if I can link, should find it with a search.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom