Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights: Enhanced Edition - Beamdog's final enhancement - now with new premium modules

Cael

Arcane
Wait a sec.... People can disagree with someone saying a game works fine on their computer? I have heard of delusional, but that takes the cake...

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Wait a sec.... People can disagree with someone saying a game works fine on their computer? I have heard of delusional, but that takes the cake...
Never been to a support forum of any kind? Simply pointing out a bug often garners a boatload of responses basically saying "This didn't happen to me, so the bug doesn't exist, nothing is wrong with the game".

Cael

Arcane
Never been to a support forum of any kind? Simply pointing out a bug often garners a boatload of responses basically saying "This didn't happen to me, so the bug doesn't exist, nothing is wrong with the game".
That's so retarded that my IQ dropped by a few points just finding out that people that stupid exists.

imweasel

You might as well get the Beamdog's patched version if you don't already own the Diamond Edition or have never played the game, but I wouldn't pay more than 10 bucks until Beamdog decides to actually add something really nice like a pimped out renderer and better spell effects or something.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
You might as well get the Beamdog's patched version if you don't already own the Diamond Edition or have never played the game, but I wouldn't pay more than 10 bucks until Beamdog decides to actually add something really nice like a pimped out renderer and better spell effects or something.
Who would be retarded enough to pay for anything Beamdog? If someone's got a hardon for a low--quality pay-for-patch, pirate that shit.

The Old Kiwi

Educated
I have both the Diamond Edition, as well as the original CDs from when they fuirst came out, and have been installing the originals from time to time with no problems on various PCs, as the years go by. As best recalled, the Diamond retail box still has its plastic seal around it.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
I have both the Diamond Edition, as well as the original CDs from when they fuirst came out, and have been installing the originals from time to time with no problems on various PCs, as the years go by. As best recalled, the Diamond retail box still has its plastic seal around it.

So really, they expect you to buy this game 3 times.
Even Bethesda gave the Skyrim Enhanced Edition for free to existing owners*, what a world we live in.

* Because it broke backwards compatibility and needed modder adoption rates to be high so they could sell mods to their console peasants.

Cael

Arcane

So really, they expect you to buy this game 3 times.
Even Bethesda gave the Skyrim Enhanced Edition for free to existing owners, what a world we live in.
More than that.

They had the Gold Edition, the Platinum Edition, the Diamond Edition, and I believe there was a compliation edition as well somewhere, plus the original game and expansions sold separately.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity has like a Hero Edition, King Edition, Definitive Edition, 2 DLCs etc... Obsidian does the same thing, put out a new game with each patch.

Why are you guys bitching about Beamdog doing the same thing as Obsidian and putting out an Enhanced Edition of their classic rpg Neverwinter Nights? It's just marketing. I wish more developers would go back and enhance their classic games. Shadowrun: Hong Kong is still missing a "Director's Cut."

Personally I love Enhanced Editions better than the originals. Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC is more playable than the original, and Sid Meier's Pirates! remake is more playable than the original.

Sizzle

Arcane
Pillars of Eternity has like a Hero Edition, King Edition, Definitive Edition, 2 DLCs etc... Obsidian does the same thing, put out a new game with each patch.

With the notable exception that they actually added some content in those patches and DLCs.

Why are you guys bitching about Beamdog doing the same thing as Obsidian and putting out an Enhanced Edition of their classic rpg Neverwinter Nights?

If it was the same thing, they would put in some new content (as Obsidian did with their PoE v3 patch), not just a couple of paltry graphics tweaks. Also - their classic RPG?

I wish more developers would go back and enhance their classic games.

Completely agree. They can look at Beamdog's EE's on how not to do those enhancements.

Shadowrun: Hong Kong is still missing a "Director's Cut."

It got an Extended Edition - basically the same thing in this case.

Personally I love Enhanced Editions better than the originals.

Good on ya, mate.

Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC is more playable than the original, and Sid Meier's Pirates! remake is more playable than the original.

You do realize that Director Cuts and remakes aren't the same thing, right?

imweasel

Why are you guys bitching about Beamdog
Because the "enhanced edition" costs 20+ dollars and is the exact same game as the Diamond Edition which has been on sale at GoG for years. Looks the same, plays the same, same same same.... except for the new NWN logo. Beamdog fixed multiplayer in their re-release, but that was already fixed in the Diamond Edition with a community patch too.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Because the "enhanced edition" costs 20+ dollars and is the exact same game as the Diamond Edition which has been on sale at GoG for years. Looks the same, plays the same, same same same.... except for the new NWN logo. Beamdog fixed multiplayer in their re-release, but that was already fixed in the Diamond Edition with a community patch too.
But that's mostly true for all of the Pillars edition too. Add a few new items and it's a "Definitive Edition."

Paradox adds a few more portraits and skins and it's a $15 DLC.

I don't understand why you guys single out Beamdog for punishment. It's marketing 101. Blizzard just re-released Starcraft. Gabriel Knight got a remake. Apple does it with iPhones. Michael Bay does it with Transformers movies. VHS -> VCD -> DVD -> Blu Ray. Bookstores sell Lovecraft's books and he's been dead for 80 years. When you've developed something classic like Baldur's Gate 2 or NWN, you repackage it "new" to sell it over and over again. It's called residual income. Grow up - that's how the economy works.

It's why nearly all TV shows end around 72 hours in - even crappy tv shows get a 3rd season if they've already had 2 seasons. TV shows are eligible for syndication after 72 episodes and that's where the profit is, since you live off of that money forever.

Last edited:

Sizzle

Arcane
But that's mostly true for all of the Pillars edition too. Add a few new items and it's a "Definitive Edition."

They added those items for free for all the people who own the original.

Yes, it was a simple marketing move to promote their PoE2 backer beta. Nevertheless, it was a free DLC.

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
I don't understand why you guys single out Beamdog for punishment.
Because everything they do is terrible and they didn't actually make the games.

Pay attention.

Starcraft 2 didn't get a re-release. It got updates and a price reduction (to say the least). You don't have to buy that again. If you already had the game, you could even end up getting goodies if you didn't have everything up until that point already. And it cost you nothing, and Blizzard actually made the game.

The Definitive Edition of PoE is not a new re-release of Pillars of Eternity, it is also just an update, and people that already had the game got the new shit for free. It's a "final patch" situation and a re-branding that does nothing. And Obsidian actually made Pillars of Eternity.

And the remake of Gabriel Knight is - get this - an actual fucking remake. It's a brand new game that is mostly a tracing of the old one, but it actually takes a significant amount of work, and it is very much not the same game. It's actually a recreation of another one.

Beamdog's "Enhanced" Editions are not.

Last edited:

Cael

Arcane
The only thing that Beamdog added was SJW crap that detracted from the original. That isn't an "enhancement". That is a "degradation".

Deleted member 7219

What they did to the BG series is a little more forgivable as those games do require a bit of WeiDU patching if you want to get the most out of them on modern systems.

NWN works right out of the box (with maybe a few tweaks from PCGamingWiki), there's no justification at all for an "enhanced edition", especially one which doesn't actually do anything a normal patch wouldn't do.

KOTOR 2 got a patch a few years ago, by a new team (Aspyr), free of charge.

coldcrow

Prophet
Patron
Even Squeenix did a proper remaster job with ff10. I am quite curious about the price for NWN:EE.

Jason Liang

Arcane
Pay attention.

Starcraft 2 didn't get a re-release. It got updates and a price reduction (to say the least). You don't have to buy that again. If you already had the game, you could even end up getting goodies if you didn't have everything up until that point already. And it cost you nothing, and Blizzard actually made the game.

I said StarCraft, not Starcraft 2. Starcraft: Remastered.

The Definitive Edition of PoE is not a new re-release of Pillars of Eternity, it is also just an update, and people that already had the game got the new shit for free. It's a "final patch" situation and a re-branding that does nothing. And Obsidian actually made Pillars of Eternity.

My point exactly. You seem to be expecting a new game, but all they're doing is reselling their old game. Businesses have done this for a long time, Beamdog didn't invent this practice.

We even have :deadhorse:

In fact, the concept of GoG is so that companies like Beamdog can resell their old catalog easier and attract a more recent player market.

And you seem to be misinformed. Beamdog did actually make BG: EE, BG2: EE and Planescape Torment: EE.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Aurora needed EE more than Infinity.

Sadly we won't get any enhancements

Pay attention.

I said StarCraft, not Starcraft 2. Starcraft: Remastered.

My point exactly. You seem to be expecting a new game, but all they're doing is reselling their old game. Businesses have done this for a long time, Beamdog didn't invent this practice.

We even have :deadhorse:

And you seem to be misinformed. Beamdog did actually make BG: EE, BG2: EE and Planescape Torment: EE.

Except Beamdog isn't reselling 'their' old games, it's a whole new company founded and kept alive almost exclusively to resell other people's old games except yeah Trent Oster worked on some of them etc. Until the day they actually create a new game of their own and it isn't a steaming pile of shit, their entire existence is pointless.

Jason Liang

Arcane
lol you realize it's just like in Mad Men Season 3 when Lane fires everyone from Sterling Cooper so that they can form Sterling Cooper Draper Pryce right?

Of course they hired new staff but Interplay didn't actually make the original games, Interplay was just their distributor. Like movies, the major Hollywood studios are distributors, the movies are actually made by individual production companies. 21 Century Fox didn't make Star Wars, Lucasfilm did. Fox is just the distributor.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom