Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter Nights is 15 years old!

hell bovine

Arcane
The pathfinding issues are overstated and companion AI isn't needed, because if you know what you're doing in these games, you aren't leaving control to the AI.
I wasn't talking about the companion AI, but the enemy AI. Of what use is party management, if combat is so easy I could just leave the fighter-bots on auto-attack?

Lhynn

Arcane
Baldur's Gate did it fine, NWN is just shit
Oh shut up you ignorant cunt.
BG is a party based game, nwn is a single character game, nothing inherently wrong with either approach.
If you dont like it go rant about it on a gothic thread.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The pathfinding issues are overstated and companion AI isn't needed, because if you know what you're doing in these games, you aren't leaving control to the AI.

I completely agree, I've never found pathfinding to be gamebreaking in IE games. But then I think the bad companion AI in NWN is overstated, as its not gamebreaking, not by a long shot. Its stupid, funny, irritating and any other similar descriptor, but its not something that prevents the game (HotU) from being interesting. I get that it (the OC) was a let down from BG2, in that it wasn't BG3, but its certainly not DA2 level either and I certainly wouldn't describe it as something that necessitates throwing the whole game in the trash as a consequence.

HotU scratches the cRPG D&D itch, if it doesn't for you then I don't know what to say, it seems like some of you are projecting some kind of left over butthurt like someone said earlier in the thread, like, maybe you were fired from Bioware at that time? Or maybe you were a chronic BG, and BG only, fanboy? Maybe your wife left you while you were playing it? Who knows, but the game has mostly positive aspects with just one major downside, like most codex gems, so I'm kinda lost on the butthurt issue here.

With most crap games their crapness is endemic, which is what takes them to shit-tier respect levels, in that pretty much everything is fucked in some way. NWN is mostly very competent, personal taste aside.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Does anyone have any valid points as to why Neverwinter Nights is shit? Can you list them in bullet point format please?

Lhynn

Arcane
nwn isn't shit because it's single character, it's shit because it's shit
Only thing thats shit here is your uninformed opinion. You have no real argument.
Its not even the first time i see you do this shit, you seem to be a fan of sharing your incoherent views.

Lhynn

Arcane
Does anyone have any valid points as to why Neverwinter Nights is shit.
Basically the game was designed for multiplayer, so playing it in single player with pause function detracts from the combat. The OC is bad because its is repetitive due to bad encounter design and it consists almost purely of combat, it was hastily put together because the whole point of nwn was the content that players would make with the game, not some meaningless campaign.
The graphics are bad because full moddability has a cost, also because they wanted people sharing modules and small sizes were important.
Every flaw in the game isnt a flaw, its a compromise to allow for far more important elements to shine, which makes this one of the best designed games to have ever seen the market.

Its why i say this game is perfect, because with the limited resources bioware had at the time they released exactly what they set out to make. We may not have gotten a handcrafted masterpiece like fallout, but its still a masterpiece on its own right.

Self-Ejected

buru5

Very Grumpy Dragon
Patron
Basically the game was designed for multiplayer, so playing it in single player with pause function detracts from the combat.

How is this a flaw for Neverwinter Nights but not the Baldur's Gate series or IWD which has very similar combat mechanics?

Lhynn

Arcane
How is this a flaw for Neverwinter Nights but not the Baldur's Gate series or IWD which has very similar combat mechanics?
Combat in BG is far more complex than it is on nwn, therefore you actually need the pause, especially on micromanagement intensive encounters.
In nwn actions are slow enough and you only use 1 character, so going in real time is still perfectly manageable, and even a bit too slow at levels 1-5. But thats a compromise, you feel gameplay does change as you get stronger and more experienced.

Unwanted

Fin

Unwanted
Edgy

fobia

15 years? Shit.
NWN was the first CRPG I played. I think it was even the first pc game I played.

I understand the frustration a lot of codexers have concerning NWN OC + addons.
Luckily nostalgia makes this game a pleasant experience everytime I reinstall it.
OC gets pretty frustrating, but I love the addons.

I'm definitely going to reinstall it and play SoU and HotU. Never tried the bridge modules that were built for a contest. I hope they're still up somewhere.

Edit. Yes, they're on the vault. Anyine ever played Shadohaunt? Seems promising.

Last edited by a moderator:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom