Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
broken mechanics (like parry)

first parry ain't in the dnd core rules. second it's not that supportive of your argument. parry works as intended, and really well if playing a duelist. there's just this little bug since nwn1 that every attack above the third one up to the sixth will be paired with the first three attacks, which means you can only try to parry a max of three attacks per opponent. a fourth attack is only available for high bab progressive classes starting at level 16, not hasted. a fith if one considers epic levels, which are crap by nature.

being able to parry 75% of all the incoming attacks doesn't sound that bad or broken. and don't forget that a failed parry doesn't result in a guaranteed hit. there are worse mechanics like spell resistance and light blindness, which can be fixed by "heavy" scripting.

Sometimes I load the toolset, trying to make a module that works with the game, but it's so fucked up, that I ragequit that idea too

care to elaborate on what's so fucked up about the toolset?

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
care to elaborate on what's so fucked up about the toolset?

It's too hard to learn when compared to NWN1's toolset, that one was straightforward and I even did some modules without having to read too much about it. I bet I could learn how to use NWN2's toolset if I invested more into that, but I don't have the motivation to do it.

Semper

Cipher
MCA Project: Eternity
that's called complex, not fucked up. besides there's only exterior sculpting and texturing which really separates it from the aurora toolset, both things pretty common in todays editors.

Animal

Savant
Shitposter
Ok, it's too complex for me to just casually make a dungeon and pop some skeletons.

taxalot

I'm a spicy fellow.
Patron
Codex 2013 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
Back when I attempted to reboot my Ultima IX remake with the NWN2 engine, I thought I'd fire up quickly a few areas and little gameplay just for shows. Something I could do in NWN1 in a matter of hours.

After one week, I hadn't done the first level of Stonegate (starting place) and said fuck it. It's probably worth learning to use the damn thing if you are a nerd, but I'm a grown man now.

Tolias

Educated
helpful stuff

Lilura, thanks for these instructions. After a couple of hours I've finally gotten the game game installed and running smoothly, with community/AI /Q2 patches.

However, what is up with this GUI? Playing in 1920x1080 resolution makes the menus and info screens (character, inventory, dialog) very small and the font is tiny. Enabling high-res font from in-game graphic options helps a bit, but the text is still too small.

Are there any fan-made patches that adress this? I've looked around a bit in the vault but I can't seem to find anything.

eremita

Savant
Project Q patch hak or:
How to give Neverwinter Nights a quality visual overhaul in three simple steps!
(this will also overhaul SFX, making them crisper and giving them more body & impact)

Step 1: Download the 7z program from here, and install it.

Step 2: Download the Project Q combined hak pak (500mb) from here, it's this one, and extract the archive (projectqv2_full) using 7z.
Create a folder in your main NWN install folder (e.g, C:\NeverwinterNights\NWN) and call it "Patch".
Copy the contents of the Project Q hak folder (18 files) into the Patch folder. (q_!vd_build.hak isn't needed, but who cares).

Step 3: Use a text editor to make yourself a blank ini file and call it patch.ini (if you can't do that, just download this one and erase what's already in there).
Now, copy this to the ini exactly how I've typed it:

[Patch]

PatchFile000=q_vfxgui
PatchFile001=q_tilesets
PatchFile002=q_sounds
PatchFile003=q_robe3
PatchFile004=q_robe2
PatchFile005=q_robe
PatchFile006=q_race2
PatchFile007=q_race
PatchFile008=q_portraits
PatchFile009=q_placeables
PatchFile010=q_items
PatchFile011=q_creatures
PatchFile012=q_2da
PatchFile013=q_!tilesets
PatchFile014=q_!tilereskins
PatchFile015=q_!fightingsfx
PatchFile016=q_!armoury

Save the file and then copy it into your main NWN install folder as well.

That's it! You have just readied Project Q for pre-loading into your official campaigns (OC, SoU & HotU) and many community-made modules. Project Q is a selection of superior art assets put together over the last decade by members of the community.

If you appreciate their work, then maybe vote and leave a comment on their vault page.

Enjoy!
Thanks Lilura, but it seems Project Q fucked up my audio. It's nothing major, but particulary in cutscenes (like prelude to OC) and Chargen. I'm pretty sure this issue wasn't there before. Do you know any fix on this?

Also, if I wanted to overhaul other modules with Project Q, like Kingmaker for example, is there any way to do it without tremendous amount of work?

EDIT: Forgot to ask about Reforged Weapons. Are those the same which are included in Project Q? If not, which do you consider superior?

Last edited:

eremita

Savant
Hi guys, this is just a brief list of resources for use in the official campaigns, and many community-made modules. (see Hall of Fame on neverwintervault.org, this post & this post to find adventure content.)

First up, make sure your game is patched. Even if it's the GoG version I would run this to be sure, as some people have had problems when running community content (which the patch seemed to fix each time).

There seem to be three main ways of modding content: overrides, hak paks & patch haks. For new players, overrides are the easiest to install: you simply plonk the files into your override folder and NWN loads them "over" the default content, just like in the IE RPGs. Haks are a lil' more involved, requiring use of the Aurora toolset to "bake-in" or "infuse" a module with the changes, permanently. Patch haks are a lesser known method: a "patchfile" pre-loads haks without the user needing to bake them in with the toolset. I'll talk a lil' about patch haks in my next post, but for now here's a decent list of resources:

Community Patch Project (v1.70-1)
(Installer, "modifies core game data files")
Unofficial patch for NWN.

Henchman Inventory & Battle AI Mod
Gives you more control over your companions, and buffs the AI. Everyone knows this one.

OHS Henchman System
Create your own characters and use them as companions in the OC or whatever (party of six, ftw) Incompatible with the above mod.

Customize Character Override HAK (CCOH 4.1)
Lets you change your characters appearance in-game, from the crafting menu (below left).

Alternate Combat Animations Pack (ACP v4.0)
Lets you change your character's fighting style animation in-game, also from the crafting menu (below right). Very, very cool, but you'll need to use NWN Explorer Reborn to extract the contents of the two haks and then copy them into your override folder. If you use ACP in conjunction with CCOH then you'll also need to copy this file over the ACP equivalent in your override.

O4lPe3q.jpg

ACP warrior style:

kDGSixd.jpg

TheBarbarian NWN Heads
Replaces default heads with somewhat less ugly ones.

Creature Override Compilation
A must-have. Greatly improves the models & textures of creatures.

Pretty Good Character Creator / Customizer (PGC3) powered by IGIPE
This is a mini-module that lets you customize many aspects of your character in preparation for an adventure module, including appearance, alignment, experience, equipment and gold. Also includes test arena. I wish I knew of this years ago..

Xaltar's Head & Underwear Packs
Heard of Better Bodies for Morrowind? Well this isn't quite as good, but it's better than the default!

K7APZ70.jpg

Salt's Human Female Head Pack
Adds three female heads with ten hairstyles.

Issig - Hands for Phenos
Changes your character's hands from the "fists of doom" to the "claws of doom". Still, it's an improvement.

baLWtid.jpg

Toro's Rural Override
& Toro's Winter Rural Override
Makeover for grass and other rural flora; softens color for a more natural look. Makes a big difference.

Reforged Weapons: Chain, Chopping, Smashing, Reach, Unusual, Ranged, Light & Heavy Blades.
They're ok, but don't ask me why they're not combined into one file... I guess that would be too convenient.

Remove Annoying Effects
A must-have for me. A character buffed with Barkskin or Stoneskin looks like a walking turd. This fixes that.

Leto 1.69
Self-explanatory character editor.

NWShader
(wrapper)
Gives you options for Depth of Field, Bloom/HDR, SSAO etc.

Bioware's City Interior 1 Retexture
Again, instantly noticeable. I prefer the original aesthetic, but many don't.

Complete GUI Alterations Package (Transparent and Colorized)
I don't like it, but many do.

Improved Camera Mod & Camera Height Control System
Lets you zoom out to birds-eye view (see below), and zoom in to first-person perspective. Awesome.

FVkbDba.jpg

If you can follow simple instructions, you should have no issues installing these (but lemme know if you have problems, and I'll try to help, though I'm no expert on Aurora).
Regarding NWShader, I think it should be pointed out that, although it's pretty fucking impressive, it makes the game laggy as hell. (Well for me at least and my rig is pretty good. I think it doesn't matter anyway, the engine probably struggles with the effects.) But if you really want it, you should definitely use the Bahamut version, there seems to be quite a lot of bugs in Chronepsis. Too bad this project is probably dead by now...

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Thanks Lilura, but it seems Project Q fucked up my audio. It's nothing major, but particulary in cutscenes (like prelude to OC) and Chargen. I'm pretty sure this issue wasn't there before. Do you know any fix on this?

Works fine here, must be a problem at your end (though I can't imagine what).

Also, if I wanted to overhaul other modules with Project Q, like Kingmaker for example, is there any way to do it without tremendous amount of work?

I don't play Kingmaker, so not sure. The pre-loading method doesn't work, or what?

EDIT: Forgot to ask about Reforged Weapons. Are those the same which are included in Project Q? If not, which do you consider superior?

They're the same as far as I can tell.

Regarding NWShader, I think it should be pointed out that, although it's pretty fucking impressive, it makes the game laggy as hell. (Well for me at least and my rig is pretty good. I think it doesn't matter anyway, the engine probably struggles with the effects.) But if you really want it, you should definitely use the Bahamut version, there seems to be quite a lot of bugs in Chronepsis. Too bad this project is probably dead by now...

I only get lag when there's lots of long grass.

eremita

Savant
Works fine here, must be a problem at your end (though I can't imagine what).

I don't play Kingmaker, so not sure. The pre-loading method doesn't work, or what?

They're the same as far as I can tell.

I only get lag when there's lots of long grass.
Ok, neverwimd I'm and idiot, I fucked up the installation of Project Q and noticed it just after testing the official campaigns. Everything's fine now.

However, the problem with sound remains, but not always. That is the weird thing - sometimes everything works fine, but at the other times, the game instantly crashes or there are various sound glitches (I have Win 7 btw). Well, I guess NWN is never gonna run smoothly for me. But I don't mind, it's usually ok.

I wish Trent would do the Enhanced Edition. :-(

EDIT: Apparently, the problem is caused by Realtek soundcards and for some people, there doesn't seem to be a solution. A little bit about that in this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussi...diamond-to-run-on-my-new-computer-raaagh-help

There are multiple options in sound settings, but I'm basically forced to choose one of two: Either the sound stutters as fuck, or the sound is ok but the game lags (Dolby). That's some ridiculous shit right there....

Last edited:

eremita

Savant
An update on the issue I had. I was able to resolve the issue by selecting Miles audio in audio settings, disablind EAX and the Hardware sound. But most importantly, I have to run NWN (it has to be through nwnmain.exe) in Win XP Service Pack 2 compatiobility mod. Not SP 3, but 2!

eXalted

Arcane
A Dance with Rogues is created by a girl ?!

:shredder:

Playing NWN for the first time and having a lot of fun with this module.

eXalted

Arcane
Okay, double post, the hell with it.

I started tinkering with the Aurora Toolset...

Man, what am I doing with that Shadowrun Editor. Aurora is LEVELS above that one.

I'm taking a break from the Shadowrun Editor headaches.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
just download pools of radiance remastered for nwn2 and it is a bona fide masterpiece.

best nwn2 campaign module i've played. period.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
I liked the Conan Chronicles better...

I would rather play the original PoR in the glorious turn based Gold Box engine.

DramaticPopcorn

I liked the Conan Chronicles better...

I would rather play the original PoR in the glorious turn based Gold Box engine.
Have there been any new releases for Conan Chronicles? Last module I remember was some dungeon crawl

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I gave up halfway through the first Chronicle, probably just due to burnout (or the engine getting on my nerves).

janior

Arcane
Vatnik
Jesus, 'a dance with rogues' is masterpiece this single mod is better then most of modern rpgs imo. I hope part 2 will be as great.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom