Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
What I find most useful is that it sets your gold to level, as per the DMG. Still, I would prefer it if module builders included their own starter zones with lvlup utilities that set level, gold and items to what their module is balanced for. That's the DMs job, afterall.

A good example is Snow Hunt.

utility%2Bzone.jpg

When module builders don't do this or don't bother to set parameters in the readme, I know they're not srs about balance and resource management (which is basically all of them).

DramaticPopcorn

Pretty Good Character Creator & Customizer for NWN1.

FRW Character Creator for NWN2.

Both of them serve the purpose, but the first is clearly more powerful, flexible and EZ to use; and doesn't have fluffy banter or cutscenes.

Whoa, talk about spinning the narrative for no good reason.

Why not link to an actually good and flexible module for NWN2 like Jeg's Training Module that is miles ahead anything out for NWN1 and it was out within 1st year of NWN2 release.

Barbarian

Arcane
I'm surprisingly enjoying the NwN 2 OC a little(well, enought to keep playing it). I was convinced to do it before playing Mask of the Betrayer. Must be all the years starving from some D&D games.

Are there any user created campaigns worth playing? I'm not sure if I will try Storm of Zehir or Mysteries of Westgate after I finish Motb.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
Are there any user created campaigns worth playing? I'm not sure if I will try Storm of Zehir or Mysteries of Westgate after I finish Motb.
Darth Roxor reviews Storm of Zehir
Vault Dweller does Mysteries of Westgate

There are user created campaign worth playing for NWN2. Most or all of which have been mentioned in this thread. By the way, I would take Lilura's assessments with a grain of salt. Due to the hype in this thread I've actually played the Aielund Saga (more liek Shitlund Saga amirite) and there's nothing there that warrants this kinda hype. To be fair, part 1 and 2 are solid, perhaps good even, but 3 goes way downhill and 4 is utter shit.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
So you are calling into question my taste because you are of opinion that one series I recommend, is no good?

The Aielund Saga is a wonderful piece of epic-scope storytelling and custom content employment. It is a showcase for NWN, and ppl can see that in my 34 part recounting.

It's not on par with Swordflight (nothing is, imo), and it does indeed drop off a bit after Act 2, but certainly not to the point of calling it "Shitlund Saga."

I have covered SoZ, too. It doesn't drop off because it never really picks up. I've had some fun with it over the years, though.

Barbarian

Arcane

There are user created campaign worth playing for NWN2. Most or all of which have been mentioned in this thread. By the way, I would take Lilura's assessments with a grain of salt. Due to the hype in this thread I've actually played the Aielund Saga (more liek Shitlund Saga amirite) and there's nothing there that warrants this kinda hype. To be fair, part 1 and 2 are solid, perhaps good even, but 3 goes way downhill and 4 is utter shit.

I guess I might try both then. Problem is that if Motb is as good as people say it might spoil the possibility something goood but inferior to it.

What user created modules would you reccomend?

eXalted

Arcane
Soo, started playing Snow Hunt...

As I big NWN newbie I got my ass kicked in the first cave by the Snow Furies . I am playing (first time) Druid Level 13. My panther is killed in the second I got close, My Tiger (Summon Creature VI) is killed in three seconds, and after that, it is a race between me and the dwarf who will die first...

Any tips, please? As I said I am very weak in NWN character building...

Do I need Parry as a druid?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
No, you need high Wisdom and Concentration, Spellcraft, Heal (for Healer's kits), Animal Empathy etc. See here and here.

Use bear as animal companion for tanking. Buff it and the dwarf with your spells and potions.

Also read pro-tips here. Buy Scabbard of Enhancement and use it to cast Flame Weapon on your minions.

Last edited:

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space

I guess I might try both then. Problem is that if Motb is as good as people say it might spoil the possibility something goood but inferior to it.

What user created modules would you reccomend?

• Misery Stone
  • Dark Waters
  • The Wizards Apprentice
  • Harp & Chryn
  • The Black Scourge of Candle Cove

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
To beat Snow Hunt, all I had to do was approach each enemy group gingerly, almost using classic baiting and luring tactics. Try to lure enemies one or two at at time and you should be okay. Thank the Seven Heavens for that dwarven henchman, though.

Was in the mood for some NWN hack n slash so played through the Eye of the Beholder. All the faults I found with the game were with the original Westwood developers. Levels were just too enormous, and tedium could set in as a result. It got to the point where if I fell through a pit and landed a level or two below, I didn't feel inclined to go back up and finish exploring the level I had fallen from. Thusly, I missed loads of content and original items/monsters. But it's a fun and apparently very faithful dungeon crawler experience. Maps are almost identical to the original game (you can even use the original walkthroughs), but there's just so much fat that could have been trimmed. The beholder-boss at the end totally lives up to its legendary fearsomeness over the years. It kept bombarding me with Death Magic and Flesh to Stone spells and I died no less than ten times (that's one thing that's missing from most modern RPGS - a truly challenging endgame experience). But I persevered by equipping my henchmen with lightning enhanced weapons, and festooning myself with Spell Resistance items, and even with that, the big beholder bastard would turn me into stone. I then regretted not leveling up more by skipping those earlier dungeons. Finally was only able to beat the thing by using invisibility potions (if the beholder had True Seeing, I would not have been able to beat this module) and letting my henchmen hack away until the beholder started retreating into a convenient spike trap that just happened to be in the area that inflicted massive and quite fatal damage. Game over. It felt like quite an adventure. Enough fun to start playing the sequel module Legend of Darkmoon by the same team. Neat scripting by having the enemies hear you coming down the hallways making a commotion and charging out of the rooms to intercept you. Little things like this can make a big difference in creating an immersive RPG atomsphere.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Your druid didn't succeed, or you're just doing another run in some other module?

And yeah, werelynx has typed up a few cool lists like that: he's like a walking encyclopedia for NWN modules.

eXalted

Arcane
Made a new druid multiclassed with 4th level Fighter using a bow. My summons are dying very quick, the when buffed the henchman is doing pretty good. A lot better than my previous build. I will appreciate a few more tips.

Currently at the cave to the west with the many elite orc archers. They are killing me in seconds when I get in their sight.

Yes, saw that link in his signature.

eXalted

Arcane
Yes, I do. Is there a good spell against many enemies - crowd control or something like that?

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Stonehold? Your AoE of choice in that lvl range should be Creeping Doom and Flame Strike, I guess.

Make sure you're buffing the dwarf and your minions with Stoneskin, Flame Weapon (from the scabbard), Haste potions etc.

Can't see you having too many issues, otherwise.

Barbarian

Arcane
Hey Lilura, thanks for your website. The list of useful mods for nwn2 was really helpful. I will probably check out some of the user created content later.

You know, after I finish Motb and try out MoW and Soz, I might check out Nwn1 again. I never actually played the expansions, back in the day I gave up on the game after the second or third chapter of the ultra-boring OC. So I plan to try SoU and maybe later Hotu. I guess I am just curious. Am I in for a huge disappointment?

Nwn2 complete was certainly worth the 10 bucks I paid for it in gog though. Many hours of 3.5 D&D and there are many mods to try on my list(I already downloaded BG reloaded, Icewind Dale reloaded and Pool of Radiance). Hell, Motb alone seems to be worth the 10 bucks by itself if what I have played of it so far is any indication of the rest of the game.

Barbarian

Arcane
Btw, should I kill the bear and take one-of-many later? I'm playing a neutral character who might eventually have an alignment transition to good. I'm not sure how long till I get to the part where I have to make the choice(not using a walkthrough, just browsed a bit of some guides). I'm really at the start of the game. I just met Gann and I'm heading to the Mulsantir.

I'm wondering which one is the best content-wise. And my character won't really be getting into super evil shit, if that is needed to enjoy the character or whatever. He certainly seems more interesting than the blue bear god though.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I've always felt that the official BioWare expansions - both SoU and HotU - for NWN were very hardcore and challenging compared to even most of the best modules I've played. I had enormous difficulty with the endgame of HotU, and an almost impossible-to-beat battle (at least in hardcore mode) mid-way through with a dwarf leading a party of mages and a demi-lich. It felt like the developers put a lot of thought into making the expansions solid and challenging, especially after the cheese that was the OC. Module authors rarely think like this it seems. Hopefully, my upcoming playthrough of Swordflight will change that opinion. I don't like difficulty for difficulty sake, however, something that's been thrown at the Dark Souls series a lot, though I personally find Dark Souls to be the only fantasy action game with quasi-RPG elements that relies on pure skill rather than twitch reflexes or the luck of the dice roll to play successfully. I wish more RPGs took that approach.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
for a while there, I was a NWN2 snob, deciding I was only going to play NWN2 modules because, hey, it was prettier and had the "better" more updated engine. Then I started playing NWN modules recently again after five years, and I'm stunned by how good it still is, how much depth the stories/ideas have (Cave of Songs was astounding) and the MASSIVE amount of good user content over the years compared to NWN2. I can only see myself playing NWN modules for the next few months to catch up on the better modules I missed...or until I get my Nividia 1070 video card and can play The Witcher 3 + DLCs. My current card chokes like a turd-gobbler on that game now ;)

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
for a while there, I was a NWN2 snob, deciding I was only going to play NWN2 modules because, hey, it was prettier and had the "better" more updated engine. Then I started playing NWN modules recently again after five years, and I'm stunned by how good it still is, how much depth the stories/ideas have (Cave of Songs was astounding) and the MASSIVE amount of good user content over the years compared to NWN2. I can only see myself playing NWN modules for the next few months to catch up on the better modules I missed...or until I get my Nividia 1070 video card and can play The Witcher 3 + DLCs. My current card chokes like a turd-gobbler on that game now ;)

NWN2 is the better engine / toolset with more possibilities.. because of certain NWN1 rendering limitations.

However you aren't wrong. NWN1 is easier to use and has much more content to keep things fresh and fun.

eXalted

Arcane
Stonehold sounds nice but I am Druid lvl 8 (Fighter lvl 4), so it seems the Flame Strike is my only option.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom