Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Jack, no that's for NWN2. I'm thinking something like this -> http://www.gustaver.se/nwn/, but with working links. This one refers to the now non-existent Bioware forums, the other one I'm thinking of didn't.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
How does one install (the correct order) Charlies UI and Tony K's AI for NWN2 (I remember there being some conflict, in that they both use a file needed for both mods). And/Or are the latest version available for both?

TOUGH GUY

Educated
I understand this is the module thread, but it seemed unnecessary to start a new one or necro a previous NWN thread – I'm about to replay NWN1 after quite some time. Are there any mods or settings or something of the sort you guys would recommend? Also am I remembering it right and the suggested progression is one character for the original campaign, then a new one for SOU and HOTU? Oh and one more thing, are there even any meaningful charisma checks/skills across the three campaigns, I don't really remember if it was worth investing in the noncombat abilities.

Lacrymas

Arcane
TOUGH GUY, check out Lilura's blog, she (?) has information about modding there. Yes, SoU and HotU aren't connected to the OC, so you create a new character for them. I think there are a lot of Persuade checks, but whether they are worth it is another matter, I simply don't remember because I haven't played the OC in a very long time.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
Shadows of Undrentide has a lot of Animal Empathy checks. You could probably just dump points into Persuade and be set for HotU.

Siveon

Bot
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So, just to check, Mask of the Betrayer is tied to Neverwinter Nights 2 OC right? You would want to use the same character for that if I'm not mistaken.

Aeschylus

Swindler
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So, just to check, Mask of the Betrayer is tied to Neverwinter Nights 2 OC right? You would want to use the same character for that if I'm not mistaken.
Very broadly speaking it is (it's meant to take place after the OC ends), but it's so disconnected that you lose nothing by starting a new character.

Lacrymas

Arcane
They tried to make it connected with that McGuffin (not gonna spoil, not that it's such a massive spoiler, but still), but it was tenuous at best and doesn't-make-sense at worst even if you did play the OC.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I think there are a lot of Persuade checks, but whether they are worth it is another matter, I simply don't remember because I haven't played the OC in a very long time.

It depends on what sort of player you are.

It tends to shit me if a module has loads of checks for skills that I haven't invested in. And the OC has shitloads of Persuade checks. Yes, passing those checks mostly results in marginal monetary gains but some quest acquisition is based on Persuade in addition (one of those is an important lore-based quest). And even though the OC allows you to cycle through the dialogue again and again until you succeed in passing the check, that is just really, really annoying.

So yeah, I take ranks in Persuade for the OC. There is no need to take ranks in Intimidate or Bluff because they are only used in the expansions (SoU & HotU) and some user-made modules that are built on them. The only reason you would take Intimidate in the OC is for a build-based requirement, such as the four ranks for Weapon Master.

HotU has a few very important social checks towards the end of the campaign, but thorough players can bypass the need for them.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Lilura, I suppose it's annoying to have a bajillion checks you haven't invested in, you feel like you are missing out. I think the reasonable thing would be to hide the checks for skills you don't have. I don't know if that's possible in NWN modules though. Btw, I don't know if you saw my question about the Dark Sun guys? What are they trying to do with that? A persistent world or modules? Assets for people to use for their own modules?

Also, I'm playing this atm - https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/module/agrenost-beneath-cobbles , but I'm still reserving judgement.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
I think they are just trying to get a gameworld off the ground for a PW.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Does Swordflight have checks for your race? I just made a Half-Orc cleric and it would be awesome. I played it with a human druid last time.

Lacrymas

Arcane
It does, it hasn't given me an alternate quest solution yet though. I had forgotten how annoying the bard is to babysit, she dies on every tougher battle and I have to keep ressing her. This time I'm powering through the big dungeon, but I did bring a lot of consumables and cleric is op in general.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
It does, it hasn't given me an alternate quest solution yet though. I had forgotten how annoying the bard is to babysit, she dies on every tougher battle and I have to keep ressing her. This time I'm powering through the big dungeon, but I did bring a lot of consumables and cleric is op in general.
Yeah, I honestly don't understand why the author hasn't bothered to add a custom ai script for - if not all - then at least the one henchman you are required to keep alive. Having to drag a useless (and boring) NPC around just because the plot says so is not fun. Chapter 2 was great, but I'm not sure if I manage to finish chapter 3 because of that. I can take a useless henchman if they are interesting, or an annoying henchman if they are useful, but one that manages to be both annoying and useless is too much for my patience.

Lacrymas

Arcane
The Bard Song is very good, but that's about it. It really isn't a very good design decision to force us to bring her, especially since her AI is so stupid. If it wasn't and she knew how to defend herself it wouldn't be a problem. It was also very funny at the end when her Deus Ex Mach... I mean father shows up and says I did a good job protecting her. She died a bajillion times! I also have another observation - I don't know how rogues would be able to get past some mandatory fights, like the Asabi Chieftain one, the cultist monk (you can get a few sneak attacks in before Zarala dies, but that's it) and maybe the mummies at the end. The entire ruins is also a big rogue repellent because of crit/sneak attack immune enemies. The only way I can think of is having Use Magic Device, buff to oblivion and slowly chipping away at their HP. That's why I don't play rogues I guess :p Arcane Spellcasters is another mystery since you can't really rest comfortably anywhere after the point of no return and we all know how few spells they have at the lower levels, and how useless they are without them. Rogues at least have sustainability. Probably buying scrolls en mass again, maybe save scumming.

I'm trying a pseudo-evil run this time. It's pseudo because I'm not doing everything possible for evil points, some of the choices are mustache-twirling or pointless cruelty. Some choices which give you evil points make no sense though, like saying that killing rats is beneath you and that's somehow evil? It's boisterous and, given how you are barely able to walk at level 1, slightly buffoonish, but evil is excessive. I suppose that's the limitation of the D&D alignment system. I do want to do questionable things though.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
Nah, arcane spellcasters aren't difficult in the beginning because summons last a very long time and, being pure melee, are less stupid than your henchman. The downside is that you get slightly less xp, but that is offset by the fact that casters get some additional content (spellcraft checks, hidden chests). You have to buff your summon with potion & scrolls, but it can handle most of the fights.

That said, because buffed melle is probably the easiest path,it is better to mix your mage with something else. I'm playing with a wizard/rogue, but for a more powergaming character I'd recommend a paladin/sorcerer (with a few more levels of tinhead than the usual 1). Of course, pure clerics rule. ;-)

Lacrymas

Arcane
There is no other way to play a druid other than summons and animal companions as well (unless you go for some strange melee druid, pumping str/dex etc. but I find it pointless, the wildshapes give you enough stats later), until you get the wildshapes anyway, and even then you still rely on summons (which I don't mind, I find a shapeshifted druid controlling a horde of animals quite awesome). I don't think there's an xp penalty for having summons up though? I still got to level 5 at the end, while that wouldn't be possible if they shared xp. I also had summons up on my cleric now as well, but they are pretty useless against tougher monsters (like the curst vampires near the necromantic orbs), they do distract mobs though. I suppose if you buff and constantly heal them it would work better. I do wish Arcane spellcasters and clerics (unless they are clerics of Chauntea I suppose) had different models for their summoned creatures, it doesn't make sense for them to summon animals. I find healing kits to be extremely overpowered, because they don't trigger attacks of opportunity and heal for inordinate amounts, they also remove disease and poison.

Sorcerer 39/Paladin 1 is the standard cheese build :p I'm now going for Cleric/Bard/Pale Master, on my druid I was Druid/Monk/Shifter.

Last edited:

hell bovine

Arcane
Hm, maybe you are right about the xp penalty, I'd have to check, since my wizard/rogue melees everything herself now.

PS My goody two-shoes cleric was a unicorn worshiper, since Lurue has both the animal and healing domains. :lol: Haven't gotten past chapter one with him, because I prefer arcane magic. But the animal domain & empowered healing spells combo is a winner.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Are there any good persistent worlds? I've never actually tried them before.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I checked it out, made a character, went outside and found a bunch of people roleplaying. I had no idea how to approach them, or whether to approach them at all, and it's getting late so I quit the game, lulz.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Yeah, well, being an NPC (not socially applicable) 'dexer probably doesn't help on those kind of persistent worlds. We can roam around together however, if you want, I think I made a character there... years ago.

Lacrymas

Arcane
I logged in again and this time they approached me. I tried to stay in character while having no clue what my character would be like yet, I did write a short biography in char-gen though. I also think I made a role-playing faux-pas because I said I was a disciple of Velsharoon while being oblivious to the fact that he isn't on the "approved deities" list. They have over 400 deities, so I just assumed he would be there. The fucking Greek Pantheon is in there! Actively role-playing would teach me a lot of things about writing characters, so I might stick around and try to learn.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom