Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

NWN Neverwinter Nights (NWN & NWN2) Modules Thread

I think this was brought up before, but Bastard of Kosigan (2nd module in the series) keeps crashing when trying to load saves. Not every single time but perhaps nine times out of ten. Any idea if there is a fix? I would very much like to finish the series.

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
BoK gets progressively more buggy as it goes along, so I don't know if it's worth it playing past the first one.

Proleric

Novice
Lacrymas The rest of the series is relatively bug-free. One of the best stories out there IMO. Not saying there are no bugs at all, but definitely worth playing.

DramaticPopcorn

Why is our resident elitist rating all posts as old? Is it because s/he has covered this on the blog that nobody reads?
53ef346458017da2062aca5c7955946b.svg

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
Why is our resident elitist rating all posts as old? Is it because s/he has covered this on the blog that nobody reads?

Averaging 40,000 hits per month for the last year says otherwise. :smug: Not bad for a blog that doesn't cover AAA popamoles, and is mostly about NWN mods. How many ppl read your shitposts?

Proleric

Novice
All of this has been said earlier in the thread, to be fair, but, 49 pages later, some repetition is permissible IMO.

Self-Ejected

Lilura

RPG Codex Dragon Lady
It's just a lil' emoticon to say these things have been said. Nothing to get upset over, DramaticPopcorn.

DramaticPopcorn

Averaging 40,000 hits per month for the last year says otherwise. :smug: Not bad for a blog that doesn't cover AAA popamoles, and is mostly about NWN mods. How many ppl read your shitposts?
Yeah, that's not so bad, you can pull some nice income with those numbers, hmu gurl

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Are there any history-inspired modules other than Kosigan for Nwn? Nwn 2 has the stuff by claudius33, namely Al-Andalus and Sarmates, but that's all I know of. Oh yeah, maybe his french-only module too. But yeah, any in nwn 1?

Lilura, I actually printed out your walkthrough to Exile from the West for quick reference. Now I've burned it and scattered the ashes because you tagged my post as old. I don't deserve such abuse in this supportive community.

Also - I found that dropping all graphical options to lowest reduces the crashing to once every two loads. Thanks for the link Proleric

Saxon1974

Prophet
Anyone played the haunted halls of eveningstar? Seems decent so far but just started.

Also wondering if it's a bad idea to Install additonal mods on top of it? (Like AI mods)

So, Bastard of Kosigan (the 2nd module). I got to the Red Dragon and possess the heart gem. Are there actual consequences for ordering it to go fuck up France, or should I just demand stuff and then kill it?

btbgfel

Scholar
So, Bastard of Kosigan (the 2nd module). I got to the Red Dragon and possess the heart gem. Are there actual consequences for ordering it to go fuck up France, or should I just demand stuff and then kill it?
None afaik.
And
considering king of france has at least one prismatic dragon in his army,
it probably won't do anything significant anyway.

Fuuuuck.

I am pretty sure I broke the sequence of Bastard of Kosigan somehow.

I went to the court of burgundy, rescued Alexa, and revealed the daughter of the french ambassador as a spy and got the duke's daughter to disappear. I come back to the spymaster and he gives me the pass and tells me to keep an eye on Borogar. Then I immediately get the option to tell him that there are no guards posted at the gates (there are) so he gives me the key. I enter the castle and am greeted by the Alexa in the lobby, who gives me an antidote and drops dead. I go upstairs and find Alexa with the other bastard who reveal their plotting and begin fighting me.

EDIT: Oh I see. Alexa's "death" was a trick and I assume the antidote is poison (doesn't matter since I killed the uncle). Right? Well, I feel pretty retarded, although the fuckery with the guards did put me off balance.

Well...here is hoping I can still finish this module.

Last edited:
Alright I beat the Bastard of Kosigan.

Coming into it from Exile was extremely jarring. While BoK is chronologically the second module, I believe it was developed first, and it shows. There are only a handful of areas whereas Exile was pretty big. Said areas are also relatively small, and the entire module is maybe one quarter of the length of Exile. There is also less trash combat, but most combat encounters that are present stink. Exile had a green dragon near Cologne for some reason but BoK has a DEMON from HELL in a castle torture chamber. I guess that is telegraphed by the wizard who says that he conjures up monsters for Vlad or w/e, but that is still a stupid thing to have in a rapebasement underneath your bedroom.

The bugs were infuriating, the crashes on loading definitely made me stick my genitals into the electrical socket a few times. If this issue persists through the later modules I might not finish them. As I mentioned before, there have been a few bugged interactions, but nothing that broke the plot as hard as I initially thought.

The storyline is very short and is mostly focused on court intrigue. It is quite nice all things considered, and the course of events wraps up loose ends while leaving some important variables to be decided by the player. I don't know how big of a role they will play on later modules, but they are there.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
...NWN2. Why? Even they can't seem to answer that question.

They probably wanted to go for that "Slow Movement and Boring Combat" aesthetic.
But seriously - NWN2 is a very moddable game. You can really bend that engine to do anything with little or no programming talent. It's highly configurable.

EDIT:
Jagex fully supports this team and has even given them access to use any and all assets / sound effects from Runescape for their persistent world AFAIK.

ProphetSword

Arcane
Developer
They probably wanted to go for that "Slow Movement and Boring Combat" aesthetic.
But seriously - NWN2 is a very moddable game. You can really bend that engine to do anything with little or no programming talent. It's highly configurable.

Can you mod the camera to not suck?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom