Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinter nights

Unwanted

The Nameless Pun

Unwanted
Now, I've heard something about the NWN series but I wanted some more specifics on the subject from you guys. The reason why is that the second one attracted my attention due to the mask of the betrayer expansion. Apart from the fact that NWN 1 isn't even on the codex top 70 list, are they worth anything? The real question being: is the second worth buying just to be able to play the expansion? Is the first one of any interest? Since I have an isometric fetish, do they have any isometric view mode? It seems they are in a 3rd person perspective but I read something about a strategy view about NWN 2 so I don't know what to think.

RuySan

Augur
I kinda liked nwn2, but keep in mind that those were dark times and not many good games were being released. And that camera is a nightmare.

If you like Dungeons & Dragons, NWN2 is worth getting just for the expansion. It is really reminiscent of Planescape: Torment but it doesn't reach the same level of excellence.

The camera is configurable. I'm not really sure what all the hate for it comes from, unless it is from those with bad spatial awareness. Perhaps requiring spatial awareness to operate is a bit much for a camera in an RPG...

Scruffy

Ex-janitor
Patron
Codex 2012 Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014
they're terrible, terrible shit, and this is coming from a Faerun fanatic. Mask of the Betrayer and Storms of Zehir are worth playing though. You can avoid NWN1

racofer

Thread Incliner
There's only one way to play Neverwinter Nights.

HF3YObL.jpg

tBcPbki.jpg

arSbblk.jpg

Unwanted

Douchebag

Unwanted
What matter of depraved individual made this mod o_0 ?!!?!

are they worth anything?

If you liked Dungeon Siege you'll like Neverwinter Night even better. That's how I saw it a long time ago. If you're looking for hardcore turn based combat and immense labyrinths with sometimes complex puzzles then this isn't the game for you obviously.

Storm of Zehir is really the best this concept will provide. Mask of the betrayer is entirely different from the rest and only shares the same engine.

Modules are worth a try, NW1 has the best modules. Module hunting is a hobby in itself because they're all spread out over the internet or lost in fragments (lots of websites have unfortunately shut down and the content disappeared). The most popular are not necessarily the best. You will often find real gems with like 34 downloads and no comments or updates randomly on fileshare.

hell bovine

Arcane
Now, I've heard something about the NWN series but I wanted some more specifics on the subject from you guys. The reason why is that the second one attracted my attention due to the mask of the betrayer expansion. Apart from the fact that NWN 1 isn't even on the codex top 70 list, are they worth anything? The real question being: is the second worth buying just to be able to play the expansion? Is the first one of any interest? Since I have an isometric fetish, do they have any isometric view mode? It seems they are in a 3rd person perspective but I read something about a strategy view about NWN 2 so I don't know what to think.
Both NWN and NWN2 offcial campaigns are boring and easily forgotten. HotU is a fun dungeon romp and there are a lot of fan-made modules for NWN, so I'd say it's worth it. MotB personally I would rate below some of the NWN1 modules I've played, but it is still better than all other official stuff.

Gulnar

Scholar
Mask of the Betrayer is excellent. This said, the base mechanic of the game - the graphical engine, the implementation of the rules, and the camera, godfuck, the camera - are terrible. They are the worst thing ever made by a man. Imho, Mask of the Betrayer is good enough to rise above the problems of the base game. On the other hand, while still better than averange, Storm of Zehir doesn't.
The 'core' campaign isn't as atrocious as the 'core' campaign of NWN 1 - but it's still bad. It's like they took every single archetype of dnd and put it in a single game. For example, you have a headstrong dwarf that can become a lawful dwarf... a hot-headed fire sorceress... a wizard that behaves like he has a stick up his ass so deep that it pokes out of his nose... a wise zerth... and let's not forget the playful tielfing rogue.

eXalted

Arcane
Dance with Rogues module.

DOWANWLOAD! Now!

Get raped in the first 5 minutes and have unlimited fun after that.

(And as strange as it may sound, this is not sarcasm.)

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
I spent many hours playing NwN when it was released, but it has aged so badly that I just can't play it anymore. They should have kept the 2d isometric view instead of doing it in 3d.

NwN2 isn't anything to write home about.

Bonerbill

Augur
I spent many hours playing NwN when it was released, but it has aged so badly that I just can't play it anymore. They should have kept the 2d isometric view instead of doing it in 3d.

NwN2 isn't anything to write home about.

Making it 2d isometric would have made modding harder.

SionIV

Cipher
Patron
Making it 2d isometric would have made modding harder.

I agree, but it would have been a better game. They could have spent more money and time on other things, instead of making that new engine. Isometric games also age a lot better most of the time. Today NwN looks like a pile of shit, and when you compare it to shit, you're insulting shit.

Doktor Best

Arcane
Does the codex have a thread where there is a clear list of worthy nvn modules? I wanted to try them out but there are just so many... so i want to start with the most beloved ones ofcourse to see what the potencial of those are.

VentilatorOfDoom

Administrator
Staff Member
No, the Codex has no threads about NWN modules. Even if there was such a thread it would never get stickied under any circumstances.

Doktor Best

Arcane
I know about that thread, but its a clusterfuck of way too many modules and way too many recommendations. Im talking about a thread like the Top 70 list or the "best gold box game thread", preferably with a vote.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom