Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neverwinters Nights vs Dragon Age

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
NWN is better because it has ADWR :smug:

hell bovine

Arcane
Where my chanter - who couldn't hit the broad side of the barn - would hold up entire groups of enemies thanks to the engage system, because the enemies refused to disengage a character that couldn't even attack them.

So you're saying you wished Pillars had a threat system like World of Warcraft and Dragon Age. :M
No, I am saying that PoE's combat system is ridiculous, because of the engagement system. :roll: You'd have to pay me to play mmos (and even then I'd probably refuse), so I have no idea how WOW combat even works. (I admit I don't actually remember much about DAO.)

An example of combat that I enjoyed a lot: the SCS mod for Baldur's Gate. Enemies prioritize and switch targets depending on resistances, armor class, disabled state etc. Instead of mindlessly trying to hit the chanter bard, they actually try to go after those they can hurt. Granted, this would probably work much better if not for BG's terrible pathfinding, but even so, I find it impressive what the author managed to do with the original game.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Enemies prioritize and switch targets depending on resistances, armor class, disabled state etc. Instead of mindlessly trying to hit the chanter bard

Enemies in Pillars also prioritize targets based on their deflection. This behavior was added in a patch.

hell bovine

Arcane
Enemies prioritize and switch targets depending on resistances, armor class, disabled state etc. Instead of mindlessly trying to hit the chanter bard

Enemies in Pillars also prioritize targets based on their deflection. This behavior was added in a patch.
That's not even close to what SCS does. (also, I have played PoE when it came out)

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
I'm actually starting a playthrough tomorrow of Aielund Saga with some friends. Planning on rolling Paladin then switching to Champion of Torm.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I'm actually starting a playthrough tomorrow of Aielund Saga with some friends. Planning on rolling Paladin then switching to Champion of Torm.

I used a Paladin-turned-Champion-of-Torm build for my playthrough of the sequel to the Eye of the Beholder module remake, Legend of Darkmoon. There was one class-specific CoT buff that I utilized repeatedly that made combat in the module fairly easy but not a faceroll. It was the teleporter puzzles that would cause me to lurch & stumble.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

Thinking of giving patched Pillars with both expansions a play. I like challenging combat with good AI. Would it be worth it, you think?

Lucky

Arcane
NWN has tons of good mods and quite a few great ones, while Dragon Age is one of the most bland and exceedingly dull games that I've ever played. Spare yourself the latter unless you have a hemophilia fetish.

Mei Scarlet

Novice
DA:O is okay. Not a masterpiece but a pretty good game. NWN though gave me hours upon hours of enjoyment due to it's modules and private servers, it's more than just a game, I still play it semiregularly with a friend.
But don't play the original campaign, it's utter shit. Probably don't touch SoU too.

Dux

Arcane
NWN is fairly inoffensive. A missed opportunity, no doubt, but it's just a basic D&D game. Nothing more, nothing less. It's moderately entertaining just building up a class and utilising it in the world, much more so than NWN2. The engine is clunky and unattractive but infinitely more responsive than its sequel. It had pretty decent expansions too. No MotB but perfectly decent.

Dragon Age: Origins is just a vast bowl of pus. Fucking hell that game makes me angry. Worst Christmas ever. That fucking queer Alistair with his fruity accent and stupid smug face acting like he's better than me. Motherfucker thinks he's Aragorn or some shit. Too bad I couldn't feed his ass to my dog, who was the best character in that whole shitfest. Yeah, the dog get's my seal of approval, only because it didn't talk back. Holy shit what a load of garbage. Don't get me started on that gay Elf either or the woman who tried to put a spell on me. Oh, and that old guy who forced me into becoming a Grey Warden or whatever the fuck it was called. Yeah, I cracked open an ice cold Pepsi Max in glorious celebration when he was penetrated by cold steel in that LOTR knock-off cutscene. What a feeling. Then there's the Fade and the Deep Roads. Yeah, I think I'd rather aggressively grate my own nutsack than play this sad excuse of a computer game ever again.

So I would say that NWN wins by some margin in my estimation. DA:O couldn't even measure up to mediocrity. Terrible shame, that. Ahem.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
NWN OC is average. But, overall? It is BEST GAME EVAR. DA1 is pretty dman good in own right. Both are superior to PE. NWN has a better character and combat system than either DA or PE. PERIOD.

deranged

Cipher
DA:O is not bad by any means. It's actually a good, not brilliant, rpg experience and despite its awkward moments you are bound to get some enjoyment out of it. Shit mods though.

NWN OC, on the other hand, is a bland, uninspired, lifeless piece of shit. Good mods though.

Fargus

Arcane
NWN OC, on the other hand, is a bland, uninspired, lifeless piece of shit. Good mods though.

Thats what i always say.

It's more of a platform for mods than a game. OC is a pile of shit and i had to force myself to play it through (Chapter 1 was pretty fun, after that it went downhill), but i've seen mods for NWN that had much better story than majority of the RPGs i've played.

pippin

People forget that NWN was never meant to be a "game". The OC was a placeholder, so to speak, for the stuff you could do with the editor. Its longevity is explained because of the latter. DA:O, on the other hand, tried something. But I still think it's a subpar version of what they had done up to that point... I played through it and when the Keep failed to recognize some of my choices I deleted my save and never played the game again.

Volourn

Pretty Princess
Pretty Princess Glory to Ukraine
" and is a much better story-wise than over the top HotU. "

FUK OFF.

pippin

How can HOTU not be over the top? You're like level 30 by that point.

hell bovine

Arcane
So what? HotU has the better story (and the better villain, for what little you interact). I honestly don't even remember anymore why and what for you fight the evil snake lady at the end of SoU.

Popiel

Arcane
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
And you sit here being retarded since 2003.

So what? HotU has the better story (and the better villain, for what little you interact). I honestly don't even remember anymore why and what for you fight the evil snake lady at the end of SoU.
HotU has better villains, that's true, but for story as a whole I much prefer more contained, local and somewhat slow style that SoU has. High-level D&D flicks don't do it for me, unless they are made exceptionally well, and I've heard of nothing like that. HotU’s story comes to its own only in the last act, while SoU is pretty much consistent, that’s also a big pro. SoU also has much better companions, and I don’t mean Deekin, because he’s a recurring one – Xanos and Dorna are much more interesting than Tiefling-Drizzt and Generic-Drow-Lady, and I never liked Aribeth all that much.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom