Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New AoD art

chaedwards

Liturgist
Going against the flow, I actually prefer the concept art you showed earlier a lot more. This just seems gloomy and a bit over the top in comparison. Maybe it's just that I really love building schematics, but their clinical lines just add a dryer, more measured tone than this, which seems very... fantasy in a cliched fashion. As far as I understand your vision, the actual world is more interesting than that, and may benefit from a consistently different graphical style.

Just my tuppence.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
Well, I agree with you. I wanted to have "dry" schematic-like black-n-white art, but I've lost that artist (he suddenly decided that he wants to work in a different style and I failed my persuasion roll to convince him that his original style was much better). Since I was busy elsewhere, I didn't have time to finish all the art when I had a chance, so I had to look for a new artist.

So, this new guy did 7 quick sketches (he developed one into that nice piece above), which were not exactly what I was looking for, but the mood was captured perfectly, which is, probably, more important.

Here are some of those sketches:

http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3094/thumbnail010op.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/3384/thumbnail022ai.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5642/thumbnail036vh.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/5353/thumbnail046kd.jpg
http://img4.imageshack.us/img4/2057/thumbnail061hv.jpg

Quigs

Magister
Real Quigs : Looks awesome, id love to see that in a larger resolution, great job.

Codex Quigs : The plants look stupid as hell. Yeah, I get how they highlight the caved in wall, but wouldnt they also be on more fertile grounds, like, 2 feet in front? Or hell, on the top of the regular wall?

Section8

Cipher
Wow, that first sketch is awesome. In fact:

AOD.jpg

...not that you're going to have box art. But, if I saw that on a shelf I'd be intrigued. Plus, if I were an idiot consumer, and god-willing, one day I will be, I'd probably buy it on the spot.

Shagnak

Shagadelic
Vault Dweller said:
Here are some of those sketches:
Yeah, that is the kind of stuff I had in mind when I asked if all of it was all going to be colour like the first picture.

I could envisage stuff like you just posted for transitions between minor areas, and full colour stuff (but maybe even more stylised) for transitions between major areas or story chapters or however you're organising your game.

chaedwards

Liturgist
That's tought that you lost the artist - that other stuff was really nice. The concept sketches look okay, although a bit 'Samurai Jack' and blocky for my liking. My automatic reaction was that the lines were too thick, but given the difficulty there must be getting A1 artists, they're not too bad.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
I love the original colored piece. That'd make an awesome loading screen.

The first sketch is top notch as well. Throw in a little color(stress on the little part) and that's a pretty nifty backround art for some storyline text.

Some seriously good dreary type art you got going there.

EDIT - Section8's gamebox is pretty sweet. You should totally rip him off if you put together any kind of jewel case or pdf manual.

obediah

Erudite
I like the simplicity and content of the sketches.

I agree with the Samurai Jack comments, the limited pallete and clean lines with solid fills make me thinkg of flash.

I think if the pieces were the same, but done with real paint they would look much better. Maybe a PS filter to rough up the edges and add some variation to the pigments would work also.

I'm not an artist, so if this makes no sense, just chalk me up as a "good, but too flashlike to be great"

Claw

Erudite
Patron
Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
What can I say, I like chliched fantasy.

Section8's box art looks awesome, but I ain't sure it represents the game well. I like the box to look like the game looks.

galsiah

Erudite
Very good in general, but I'm not too sure about the guy in the foreground on the far left. He doesn't seem to fit well with the rest of the scene, since the rest of the scene is so much more detailed.

Chefe

Erudite
That shit is HOT. Hold onto that artist like a prostitute holds on to herpes.

And that box art? Fucking fantastic. I'd buy two copies. Why don't games come in good box art anymore?

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
The town was hit hard during the war - that's what magic used to do, and that's why it's a low magic setting right now. You'd be able to explore the area, experiencing fucked up effects, and, well, do some interesting things there, courtesy of changed rules of nature.

LlamaGod

Cipher
did magic turn them into lego men?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom