Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New AoD art

Zomg

Arbiter
I really, really like this "master shot" approach. It's an imagination multiplier.

RobRendell

Novice
Nice. You've got a fine artist there, VD :)

Going back to the two shots with the same city different-height buildings:

I agree that the lower buildings look more realistic, and make the devestation more apparent (which I think makes it better).

One additional thought, though: if you're going to do Fallout-style epilogues for each location you visited in-game based on your actions, you've now got two nice pictures showing the same city with alternative futures. One might be if your character helps bring ancient knowledge of magic/architecture back to that part of the world, the other might be a status-quo type shot (and the one you saw when in-game).

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
RobRendell said:
One might be if your character helps bring ancient knowledge of magic/architecture back to that part of the world...
It's not that kinda game.

Here is an epigraph to the game:
"Conspiracies and assassinations and naked power-grabs. All the fun of decadence." Glen Cook, The Black Company.

Section8

Cipher
Another nice one, it has that tightly packed fortress on a tiny mountain top look to it, and some more interesting architecture. Are these based upon actual level content? How close can we expect the in-game equivalents to resemble these great pieces?

Vault Dweller

Developer
@ Section8:

Very close. The tower is identical, the ruins also look the part. As for the town, we have all the architecture (the fortress, town elements, gate, etc). The only question is how to implement the mountain surface.

We'll post building models in a few weeks.

@ Whipporowill: Yep, good memory.

Astromarine

Erudite
Looks really nice, gives this impression that it was "sculpted" out of the mountain itself, which fits quite well with the idea of powerful magic that's gone. Could stand to be a tad bit more decayed, as without the magic that helped build the stuff, it's hard to fix it. But that's minor nitpicking.

Spazmo

Erudite
It kind of looks like that whole mountain was raised out of otherwise flat farmland to make a better fortress, which fits with the whole "magic fucks shit bigtime" theme. Nice piece.

spacemoose

Erudite
That one is going on my hard drive. But I'd still like to see more farmland around cities - the food has to come from somewhere. Slightly off-color squares and patches would work nicely I thinkk.

Bidjou

Novice
Makes me wonder what could have happened to froze that place in ruins and empty that river.

Severian Silk

Vault Dweller said:
I like the first one more. The Big Helmet dudes make more sense within the context of the first pic; otherwise, it feels too SG:1 for my tastes.

Whipporowill

Erudite
How long ago would this cataclysm have been? Would might have corroded a lot more than say stone. Ships lying in silt on the other hand, can stay in pretty good shape for hundreds of years.

Vault Dweller

Developer
Bidjou said:
Makes me wonder what could have happened to froze that place in ruins and empty that river.
Magic. One side vaporized a few rivers to stop fleet reinforcements from coming. More effective then attacking the ships directly. I wanted to present magic as something more powerful and dangerous, even to the one who's employing it, than a fireball.

Whipporowill said:
How long ago would this cataclysm have been? Would might have corroded a lot more than say stone. Ships lying in silt on the other hand, can stay in pretty good shape for hundreds of years.
Several hundreds of years ago.

Relien

Scholar
Vault Dweller said:
One side vaporized a few rivers to stop fleet reinforcements from coming.
I don't want to be a nitpicker, but what about all the springs that make up a river? How did they dry all of the subsurface waters?

Vault Dweller

Developer
No clue. Similarly, I don't know how exactly one casts a fireball. What I do know is that we are draining rivers today, so that tells me that the process is possible.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom