Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New AoD art

callehe

Liturgist
http://www.internet-at-work.com/hos_mcg ... ng_11.html

there is a difference between the galley and the viking longship, although sharing some similiarities in appearance. notice especially the hull on the two types of ships. The viking longship has a very flat and shallow bottom so as to allow the vikings to beach it for fast raids and escapes. the galley has a deep hull with a top and bottom deck, rowers sitting at the lowest level of the ship. The derelict ship on the artpiece definitely have more longship characteristics than galley counterparts.

well, this is just minor nitpicking anyway, since we're not dealing with history strictly are we? some anachronism should be allowed to slip into this game ;)

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
I know, that's the artist's mistake (attempt at being creative). He was given detailed instructions, including the finest pictures of Roman ships Google can get you. That will be fixed.

callehe

Liturgist
hehe, ok then.

but it's not completely out of place either, now that i think of it. swedish vikings sailed through the rivers of today's russia to reach the old byzantic empire - the former east roman empire. the vikings used to trade with them, or even becoming bodyguards for rich traders because of their fierce and tough looks (and blonde hair).

Whipporowill

Erudite
I certainly didn't have any problem at all with the supposed "viking" ships. This game is not set in reality as far as I'm concerned, and need not follow design guidlines set by some guy in a skirt dead these last few thousand years... :lol:

callehe

Liturgist
yeah, ok you win, can't argue with that. VD please keep the ships as they are. and add a barbaric race from the north with horns in their helmets!

PrzeSzkoda

Augur
Project: Eternity
Whipporowill said:
We rules OK! Only army that ever managed to capture Moscow was swedish... maybe we just held it for like a day, but still. :lol:

Not really. Polish forces managed to beat those Ruskies and even reign in Moscow for a time, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dymitriad POLSKA!

The art is neat, but I've got a feeling that the shadows in the last picture you've shown are somewhat a bit off, especially those in the valley. Maybe it's just me, but the way shadows lie from the trees and the ruins seem to contradict the amount of lighting and the direction from which it originates in the valley. It looks as if there were two sources of light.

Deathy

Liturgist
The Eye of Horus?

It's nice artwork, but does that have anything to do with your game worlds mythology?

Vault Dweller

Developer
Yes and no. Hard to explain. There are different influences, signs, names (like the Boatmen of Styx, for example). Some are explained, some aren't because those are part of the culture that's long gone and those names & signs that mean very little now are all that's left.

Also, I needed a symbol reflecting the importance and holy status of the tower, placing the tower top in the middle and "working" around it. The Eye of Horus is a perfect fit. It's an eye that looks into a different age (the tower is well preserved and functional).

callehe

Liturgist
hmm seems strange to me that the villagers would build their houses around the sign in the ground, should be quite inconvinient to walk around it all the time :)

Vault Dweller

Developer
They built their houses around the tower for protection and rituals, and they are the ones who made the sign.

GhanBuriGhan

Erudite
This is all damn good art. the only bit of negativity I can muster is: don't let the quality of the load-art and in-game art drift too far apart, that can sometimes be dissapointing.

Whipporowill

Erudite
Yay. Scaffolding! VD listens to critisism... :D

Really great stuff, looking forward to those first real screenshots of the game in action.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom