Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Codex top 100 PC RPGs results thread

Art thou content?

• Yes

Votes: 15 27.3%
  • No

Votes: 40 72.7%

• Total voters
Please note, while Knights of the Old Republic scored ok some additional double-checking research I did this evening provided me with information that this game was initially released on console and did not get a PC release until some months later, causing an automatic disqualification. The game will be relisted in any future list of console top games.
This is dumb bro. Really great games like Dragon's Dogma, Valkyria Chronicles, KotOR 2 and Dark Souls also had this kind of late port. :/

I have no doubt those games have a lot of fans. It's quite difficult to go a few days without someone claiming Dark Souls is the best game ever, for example. However, this is just a list of PC games. Bundling both console and PC games into the same chart will just have people voting hate votes towards console games because they are console games. If you look on the bright side and imagine a separate list of console games then Dark Souls has a very good chance of being in the no.1 spot. If I was a Dark Souls fan I would prefer that than having it beaten in the charts by some old game I'm never likely to play. Having games like the ones you mentioned be 'also rans' instead of stars of the show because of a desire to mix charts seems counterproductive to fans of both platforms.

I like Dark Souls, but that doesnt mean it should be on a PCRPG list. Also, isnt Dark Messiah an action/adventure game?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The results for 1997, 1996 and 1995 are in.

1997:

So nearly a nun year, so very nearly. But then Fallout proved to be quite the exception to the year, the most favoured game of the entire three years, in fact. To be entirely fair, Diablo was released so late in December of 1996 that for pretty much everyone Diablo would have been a 1997 game, however, rules is rules.

1996:

Three strong middle-rankers fought against each other here and the results were nailbiting. Literally just the odd point between all three. Anyone taking rough numbers instead of exact numbers would call it a draw. None were universally loved while none were universally loathed. Realms of Arkania can take a moral victory even though it just missed out on the top 2 spots because it's at least the one popular game of the year to not be an action game and one of the very rare games to get absolutely zero votes for it to fuck off.

1995:

Quite a dire year with the winning game only being another mid-table'er and the second a possible filler to make up the numbers. Albion is a curios entry onto the charts though, at least from my point of view. After at least three years of browsing this site I can honestly say I recognise ever other game on the list as a game that gets regularly mentioned, Albion on the other hand... when was the last time you heard anyone talk about Albion? For me... literally never.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Fuck that,too many expansions as whole games! Not enough space for real games. What is next,listing patches as top 100?

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
Fuck that,too many expansions as whole games! Not enough space for real games. What is next,listing patches as top 100?

Our current top 70 has expansions in it. Once upon a time an expansion could feel like a whole new game! I know, luxury, right. But, no, there are quite strict rules on taking it too far. Your edginess has been noted though, as has your inability to read (this is explained in the OP...).

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
The results for 2011 are in and it's a nun year even before the second stage of voting. A golden year for Jeff Vogel once again, and some decent interest in E.Y.E. from a very useful codex thread about the game, but nothing the codex as a whole could get behind nor find any great interest in.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
For all the gradual incline from the last nun year of 2005, 2011 reset the timer and once again saw the PC RPG genre start again from scrath, 2012 proving to be an incline over nothing by sheer dint of having one game that might possibly sneak onto the back end of the list. 2013 inclined again, but even a doubling both in quantity and quality still providing a fairly lacklustre year, both games scoring almost identical scores that should see them definitely at the back-end somewhere.

Joni Odin von Hassenstein some tidying up which you might like before shutting down for the holidays for a while. Because there's a chance I wont do any more of these, would you or someone else like to finish them off? Or could you not trust someone else to stick by the rules properly? I'd be happy to share my scoring system with anyone who wanted to take it on. I could also provide the current list of games as they stand if you think 1995-2013 itself makes for a complete and interesting list?

Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Joni Odin von Hassenstein some tidying up which you might like before shutting down for the holidays for a while. Because there's a chance I wont do any more of these, would you or someone else like to finish them off? Or could you not trust someone else to stick by the rules properly? I'd be happy to share my scoring system with anyone who wanted to take it on. I could also provide the current list of games as they stand if you think 1995-2013 itself makes for a complete and interesting list?
Great idea, but I'm not that active here atm too because of school etc., so I have to decline.
I hope someone else will do it!
Need moar polls and results!!!

skycycle

Educated
I was wondering where the new poll is... Why do they have to end like this in the middle of nowhere? :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom