Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New games recommendation?

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Only "survival" game I know with RPG elements that doesn't technically require you to craft stuff to survive would be Neo Scavenger. Your chances of surviving certainly are bigger when you do it though, cause drinking water without heating it above a campfire you 'crafted' is gonna end about the same as attacking a hobo with a pocket-knife instead of a making a hardened spear or bow. It's not an MMO though, because every single survival MMO heavily emphasizes scavenging, gathering and crafting.

Most survival games have crafting as their main gameplay-feature because going to a vendor to buy stuff to survive isn't really surviving despite living under harsh conditions. Unless you consider your weekly visit at the supermarket to be "surviving" in the real world.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Yeah I've never built a whole house from scratch in 7D2D. I pick a small house (near a river) and start upgrading it.

7D2D relies a lot on crafting though, but crafting isn't shit like in all of the games OP mentioned (and I fucking hate crafting in all those games, I know). These survival games are definitely not RPG's though. I think a lot of time tags are added by players and not developers, and if developers are adding tags, they're just trying to fool people into buying their shit.

If you want survival without crafting (just modifying weapons), play ZOMBI.

I uploaded this video from the game before, it gives you a good idea about what you're doing most of the time:

Thank you but if a game doesn't have solid rpg systems I will never be able to get into even a little.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Most survival games have crafting as their main gameplay-feature because going to a vendor to buy stuff to survive isn't really surviving despite living under harsh conditions. Unless you consider your weekly visit at the supermarket to be "surviving" in the real world.

How would you define survival?" It is the primary goal of all games centered around conflict. Also, if there are games like Nordic survival, zombie survival, post-apoc survival, etc, building shit isn't the main function.

Hell, throughout most of historic humanity growing shit would be the main function. You'd grow shit, sell most of it, buy different shit to help you grow more shit better.

And even though I do hope to see the world burn in the hellfire of a nuclear apocalypse, I certainly don't plan on building shit other than a campfire maybe.

Hell, I dream of becoming a recluse in some vast wilderness and in my dreams I buy shit and use that to survive and don't built one thing from scratch, other maybe a campfire.

But I much prefer the inside to the out so doubt that. If a setting chimney fire is considered building I guess that's something. If chopping wood is building I will probably have to do that. Buying wood in my forays into town seems more of a hassle than chopping it. I never minded chopping wood. I'd rather chop wood than put up shelving or put together a desk from Ikea. I like chopping out things to. I like destroying and smashing. Building shit is for women.

Last edited:

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Genre is based on two things-

A: Resident evil and it's ilk were coined as 'survival horror' back in the day, and revolved around scrounging for components for things like medicine, light, food/water, ammo, weapons, etc.
B: 'Survivor' was a pretty popular tv show anyone not living under a rock has heard of. It was about living out in the wilderness without access to the rest of civilization.

Now that you've been educated, cease bitching about a genre someone else defined before you.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
Genre is based on two things-

A: Resident evil and it's ilk were coined as 'survival horror' back in the day, and revolved around scrounging for components for things like medicine, light, food/water, ammo, weapons, etc.
B: 'Survivor' was a pretty popular tv show anyone not living under a rock has heard of. It was about living out in the wilderness without access to the rest of civilization.

Now that you've been educated, cease bitching about a genre someone else defined before you.

So crafting was a big part of resident Evil? And The TV show? Lots of making doo-hickeys?

You make a compelling case for my side of the argument, which would be the side of reason and logic and making sense.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
cease bitching about a genre someone else defined before you.

What you are asking me is to cease thinking and trying to make sense of nonsense. Why should I accept nonsense that you pointed out with two beautiful points makes no sense and doesn't add up?

Why is the codex infested with kids that claim to hate labels yet stick to them with unquestioning fervor? What do you kids have against thinking and common sense?

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
I'm old and most sites now lump everything together and it is hard to find the information I need.

Are any of the new survival games worth playing if I have no desire to craft? And do any of the ones that have quests and actual content also have a decent chardev system that isn't just basic shit for basic players?
Hi guys, I'm dumb and don't understand that tags work like venn diagrams.

Are there any first person shooters worth playing if I have no desire to move my character? And do any of the ones that have text parser dialogue also have proper research trees for hardcore gamers such as myself?

You are like super funny. There certainly are FPS games with heavy rpg elements worth at least checking out for people that should be using this site. The fact you find no issue with a genre about crafting houses being called survival is telling of your actual intelligence level.

I find it rather telling that your personal hatred of building houses leads you to ignore the fact that shelter is as important as food and drink.
http://lmgtfy.com/?t=i&q="surviving+in+the+wild"
See all those huts/tents?

Getting a burger at store aint surviving, even if you get shot at while doing it, thats just living in shitty conditions.
Waking up naked in a dryed out lakebed is surviving, accepting your death would make shitty game for most people.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
I'm old and most sites now lump everything together and it is hard to find the information I need.

Are any of the new survival games worth playing if I have no desire to craft? And do any of the ones that have quests and actual content also have a decent chardev system that isn't just basic shit for basic players?
Hi guys, I'm dumb and don't understand that tags work like venn diagrams.

Are there any first person shooters worth playing if I have no desire to move my character? And do any of the ones that have text parser dialogue also have proper research trees for hardcore gamers such as myself?

You are like super funny. There certainly are FPS games with heavy rpg elements worth at least checking out for people that should be using this site. The fact you find no issue with a genre about crafting houses being called survival is telling of your actual intelligence level.

I find it rather telling that your personal hatred of building houses leads you to ignore the fact that shelter is as important as food and drink.
http://lmgtfy.com/?t=i&q="surviving+in+the+wild"
See all those huts/tents?

Getting a burger at store aint surviving, even if you get shot at while doing it, thats just living in shitty conditions.
Waking up naked in a dryed out lakebed is surviving, accepting your death would make shitty game for most people.

If you say so, smarty pants. Your logic is obviously infallible. It all makes perfect sense.

Jazz_

Arcane
YES! would get whacked and eaten by a gang of cannibals after 1 day in a post-apocalyptic world because building a shelter is too ''faggy''. Either that or like an asshole at night because of hypothermia.

Saark

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
YES! would get whacked and eaten by a gang of cannibals after 1 day in a post-apocalyptic world because building a shelter is too ''faggy''. Either that or like an asshole at night because of hypothermia.
No he wouldn't because Roquas imagination of "survival" has everyone living in the 21st century while only he himself is "surviving" in the wild, with the occasional visit to walmart if he ever needs anything that doesn't grow on trees or that he can't be arsed to make himself.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck

If you say so, mister. I plan on sleeping in houses and on beds. I guess that is kind of faggy. Well, slap my ass and call me Maryanne because I like professionally made constructs and comfortable mattresses.
No he wouldn't because Roquas imagination of "survival" has everyone living in the 21st century while only he himself is "surviving" in the wild, with the occasional visit to walmart if he ever needs anything that doesn't grow on trees or that he can't be arsed to make himself.

My idea of survival is not dying. In fact, it isn't my idea - I got it from the dictionary. So reality's idea of survival is not dying, and the fucking retard's of this site idea of survival is building houses out of sticks and a plethora of doo-hickeys and whatnots. I'd side with you guys but I'm outsane and far less retarded with a much firmer grasp of reality and definitions.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
I am at a loss right now, I can recommend you a couple of survival games that I really like a lot but all have some sort of crafting. It gets even harder when you ask for a story because most survival games have none. If you want games without crafting but with a story you should play RPGs. But even most of RPGs have some sort of crafting.

You could try The Long Dark in which crafting is minimal. That means you don't really need to use it, but you can if you want better equipment like a bearskin, or some improvised bandages and medicine stuff which is in nearly all games these days. I for one practically never used crafting in TLD as I usually just hoard the ingredients and then stop playing before I really need them.

There are also some modernfag games like The Flame in the Flood or Submerged that mostly just involve travelling, usually on a river. I have played neither of those because they are chick type but they do look extremely well made.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom