Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Rune II: Decapitation Edition - abandoned by Human Head Studios, still causing drama

Hines

Savant

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
(video from IGN channel)

(I really, really hope that those IGN commenters saying that this stole the subtitle from Thor: Ragnarok are joking.)

From the official channel:

I don't think this supposed to be gameplay.

Machocruz

Arcane
Oh fuck, don't tell me your character is going to be positioned on the left side of the screen like all your modern day AAAshit. Because cutting off/reducing left side peripheral vision is perfect for melee combat, yessir.

Owlish

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Douchebag! Village Idiot Repressed Homosexual Possibly Retarded Edgy Shitposter
I used to play this game online back in the day. There were a bunch of retarded spazzes that bounced around with two handed weapons and would get pissed if you used the shield longsword combo and basically played against them as a matador sidestepping a charging bull. Heads would get chopped off which you could pick up and throw at your opponents, and teabagging was always good for a laugh.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
Dat gameplay....
Did they have asthma or something, more than 1sec before every hit, not to mention one enemy attacking and others staying away.
Did they used modern swedes/danes for this job?
All we want is hectic, brutal and FAST fight. Game about vikings making me sleep is not good indicator.
Even games like Expedition Vikings, despite being turn fukin based, are more intense and engaging than these old men fights.

Last edited:

Ezeekiel

Liturgist
Dat gameplay....
Did they have asthma or something, more than 1sec before every hit.
All we want is hectic, brutal and FAST fight. Game about vikings making me sleep is not good indicator.
Even games like Expedition Vikings, despite being turn fukin based, are more intense and engaging than these old men fights.

Yep. Looks like it's made for terminally stoned console players or something.

PrettyDeadman

Dat gameplay....
Did they have asthma or something, more than 1sec before every hit.

Yep. Looks like it's made for terminally stoned console players or something.
Rune: made for stoners by feminists.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks more like they're using heavier mid tier weapons and they didn't bother adding ribbon effects.

Laughable. The icing on the shit cake is that I'm almost certain that there won't be proper levels, just popamole walk from A to B on a linear plane.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Now this is just "Rune": https://www.runeragnarok.com/rune-renamed/

Rune: Renamed

UpdatedLogoBlogHeader.jpg

When we announced Rune: Ragnarok in August, we were blown away by the initial response. Since then, the game and community have grown significantly, and because of this, we thought it was time for a change.

We now see Rune as lasting beyond Ragnarok and beyond the Nine Realms, so henceforth and forevermore Rune: Ragnarok will be called Rune. That’s right – just Rune.

Wait! How do we talk about the glory of Rune (circa 2000)? In the spirit of renaming things, feel free to throw around Rune Classic to differentiate the games.

What does this mean? Well, nothing really except the game has gotten bigger. For now, the main storyline is the same – Ragnarok is still ripping apart the Nine Realms and spreading devastation throughout the lands. Meanwhile, Loki revels in the chaos he’s caused and the destruction that’s ensued.

Ragnarok will never end.

Well, I really hate when a reboot steals the original's title.

Hines

Savant
It seems like such a pointless change, especially since they own the licence.

They released a new gameplay video, and apart from the bright white flashes when blows connect, it's an improvement over the previous video.

ChaDargo

Arcane
It seems like such a pointless change, especially since they own the licence.

They released a new gameplay video, and apart from the bright white flashes when blows connect, it's an improvement over the previous video.

Nice Skyrim mod! Is it on the Nexus?

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
https://www.destructoid.com/it-took...ing-back-to-where-it-all-started-495214.phtml

It took 18 years, but Rune: Ragnarok is Human Head getting back to where it all started
2018-03-22 14:00:00by Brett Makedonski

First look at GDC

Human Head Studios, a company that has been around for 20 years, is known by most people for two very specific things: It released Prey which is remembered fondly, and it started making Prey 2 until Bethesda put the kibosh on that. Kind of lost in the studio's history is Rune, the Norse mythology game that first proved Human Head was more than capable of serving as a lead developer on projects.

In a GDC meeting with Human Head co-founder Chris Rhinehart, it's made clear why the studio's going back to its roots. "It was our first game and we always wanted to bring it back," Rhinehart tells us. The slightly-longer version is "After Prey, we started talking about how it'd be cool to come back to Rune. We hatched different ideas and kind of explored small prototypes and talked to different publishers. A year ago, we connected with ESDF and they were looking to do a viking-based game and we were looking to bring back Rune, and we thought it would be a great fit. So we decided to resurrect it."

It's easy enough to see how Human Head ended up on a Rune reunion tour, but actually creating the game is very different 18 years later. There are modern conveniences and expectations that have to be accounted for. There needs to be a certain degree of variety to keep players invested.

One of the first things Rhinehart told us was "There are a lot more RPG elements." The beginning of Rune: Ragnarok asks you to align with one of five gods -- Thor, Odin, Freya, Hel, or Loki. Ragnarok's objective is to stop the eponymous and apocalyptic Ragnarok, and whichever god you sidle up to will help inform exactly how that's done. Rhinehart says he hopes this will be adequate reason to play through more than once.

Our demo had many of those RPG sensibilities that you kind of find yourself trusting will translate to the full game. We heard about (and briefly saw) a character creation menu, quests that are sometimes based on how much favor you have with a particular god, crafting systems for weapons (which now include bows and spears), and the runes that grant temporary buffs and abilities. How that's all eventually realized in the final product can never be properly conveyed in a short demo.

But it's Human Head's emphasis on player experience that's most encouraging. Rhinehart says a core design philosophy behind Rune: Ragnarok is that "you don't have to travel a long distance to come to something cool." Sometimes that will be as a large group. The numbers aren't finalized yet, but Human Head hopes to let players tackle raids in crowds of 50 or 60 people. However, it will be balanced so that solo players can go at it alone. Also, while there will be a competitive multiplayer aspect, PvP and PvE servers will be separate from one another.

Dismemberment.jpg

That's what has Rune: Ragnarok feeling like it'll slide into this weird MMO-lite space -- there's the option to play as a very large group, but Human Head also has a definitive story it wants to tell. It doesn't seem like there's this never-ending sprawl of content planned to keep players coming back. (For what it's worth, Human Head has the same semi-commitment to survival elements; there won't be hunger or thirst, but hypothermia, poison, and bleeding are all persistent status threats.)

Where Human Head probably won't create near-endless content for Rune: Ragnarok, the community might. Rhinehart tells us the developer plans to put a lot of power in the players' hands in terms of server setup. The studio also intends to take a hands-off approach to however the players want to mod the game. It's being built in Unreal 4 and Rhinehart notes that he's not sure which of Human Head's tools they plan to release.

In some ways, Rune: Ragnarok has been in the works all along; Rhinehart makes it seem like Rune has always been rattling around on Human Head's proverbial back-burner. In a more realistic way, the actual development of Rune: Ragnarok started just one year ago. Rhinehart says the studio's exploring the idea of an Early Access release to help shape production, but nothing is set in stone. Whatever ends up happening, it seems Human Head is putting its heart and soul into this game. Rune is kind of its baby.

495214-RuneHeader.jpg');

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom