Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Shadow Warrior from Hard Reset devs - out now

Psquit

Arcane
Yo, this games is fucking boring... i can spam the katana attack and still win the fights because demons most the time will drop the health thing.

"The mature comedy shit" was way more inmature than the original, because it tries to be serious.

Quake 4 still better game than this.

racofer

Thread Incliner
No, really, just look at this piece of shit:

Original Shadow Warrior:
FP3J4Qb.jpg

2013 Version:
vmg7lTN.jpg

Now watch the gameplay:

Crazy chinese old man slaughtering monsters.
(awesomeness)

Just listen to this guy playing.
"haha... I just took his feet away... it was hilarious omg kway!!"
(faggotry)

We live in a generation of faggots.

Heresiarch

Prophet
Fuck you guys, this game is awesome and fun and anyone who thinks otherwise can stick in your shithole of outdated graphics and ancient gameplay while I enjoy chopping up demons and laugh in ur shitfaces

warpig

Incel Resistance Leader
Manlet
Original Lo Wang was a cool old psychopath, now he's an annoying nerd full of "ironic", "hip" jokes. If that wasn't enough they gave him an equally annoying demon sidekick. The humour is horrible, typical modern dipshit "gamer" geeky humour that the internet is full of.
Gameplay wise: the fighting is cool but gets too repetitive, level design sucks ass as expected from a mainstream 2013 game. There was some potential in this game but they fucked it up.

UserNamer

Cipher
original lo wang is a billion times better from visual design to voice actor to the very stupid but amusing sense of humor. I don't know how can you design that faggy nerd and think "now THIS is an improvement".

anyway I'm happy that detractors are starting to show up. It would have been a great dishonor if this somehow passed as a great\decent fps. It should be clear that they absolutely "messed with the lo wang" starting from the wang part of lo wang, as I had the impression he is a totally wang-free character. More like Lo Acupunture than Lo Wang

Tehdagah

Arcane
Shadow Warrior (the original) is overrated. Full of cheap moments (kamikaze enemies in your face) and turns to be repetitive after a while.

Also, the final boss is underwhelming. Still an ok-ish game, but I don't see why it's considered a classic.

Edit: New Lo Wang like comic-books. He's such a nerd xD

Last edited:

zerotol

Arcane
Patron
You can use a very easy criteria to determine if the game is good.

Does it pull you in to continue to play: and this game doesn't really. Its a forgettable game, ive only gotten to chapter 4 in a week that says enough.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Chapter 13 after 10h of playing and imo is quite boring. I need to find will to finish this.

DeepOcean

Arcane
A faggot singing "You got the power". What appropriate introdution to a modern popamole FPS.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
So, I've finished it. Better than Bioshock Infinite but far from great.

The game is a combination between old and new. The funny thing is that it managed to remind me why I no longer fancy old school shooters. Running around for keys/statues is not so different than modern popamole.

Also despite the gorgeous visuals, the levels are just pure 100% linear corridors where any deviation from the path would probably lead to a secret. This is new retardness and definitely not old school.

But the sword combat is actually good fun. I think this is the only thing that saves this otherwise unremarkable shooter/sword fighting game. And perhaps the visuals but that's about it.

PS1. Fortune cookies made me chuckle a couple of times. They were pretty much the only thing for which I was looking for. Stupid but any motivation is better than none.

PS2. The game is not stable. The devs patched some shit and there are reports of lost saves. Thank God I did not lose my saves but I had lots of CTDs after the latest patch. So, buyer beware.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Forced myself into completing the game.

Sad to say, the most memorable parts of the game were the homages to the original Shadow Warrior (holy grail).

Here is what is wrong with it:

a.) Poor weapons. The sword is fun, yes. But the rest of the arsenal? The guns are way too underpowered compared to upgraded sword. Even the sword could be made into more fun weapon, if that is the route you want to pursue.
b.) Poor enemies. Especially the flying things and the invisible ninja-hags. Enemies that are not dangerous but are hard to kill, serving only to prolong the fight.
c.) Minibosses. I don't mind dangerous foes. But foes that are practically bullet sponges? Fast ones that have only one weak spot in the back? Ones that raise dead enemies? And then put ten of them into the same fight?
d.) Bosses. Fucking shit. Hit weak point, hit vital point. There is no challenge, only boredom. Only made worse by the fact that a single gun is the only sane solution to each of the bosses (uzi, followed with rocket launcher once you have it)
e.) Unmemorable maps. Honestly, what was the point with Zilla's research lab, for example? Why couldn't you try something new, do something wild? You had the tech and the assets, so why? (And how many god damn arcade cabinets do you need to throw at us? You made Hard Reset, o.k. we know.)
f.) The Asian humour of the leading pair. By Asian I mean unfunny and shit.
g.) THE GOD DAMN BLOOM SUCKS SHIT WHY CAN'T I TURN IT OFF?

As much as there is wrong with the game, it does try to do several of the right things (less linear maps, secrets, collecting health and ammo). Unfortunately it falls short by half-a-mile. Original Shadow Warrior was no 10/10 game, but at least it did something unique and memorable. In ten years from now I'll remember nothing of this game, while I'll still have my warm memories of the original.

Last edited:

Heresiarch

Prophet
Hey guis, despite what I said in this thread defending this game, apparently I got burnt out after killing the 2nd boss, which was as someone here said, is almost exactly the same deal as the 1st one. Boring running + shooting at weak point blah.

The worst thing I've found in this game is it can get boring after a while, perhaps due to a lack of enemy variety. Fighting the Warlord or the Shaman for the first few times was good "oh shit" moments, but then they start to throw two Warlords or two Shamans mixed with the same melee mobs + shooter mobs + heavy shield mobs...it's getting old fast. It's actually strange - the enemy variety in Doom/Heretic/Hexen/Build engine games isn't much more, but I don't feel bored there. Perhaps that's because the encounter is dynamic (no arenas, enemies lurk everywhere and ambush can happen at any moment). Painkiller is another arena-style FPS, but the enemies are very different in every level and all the levels have completely unique themes so it never get boring.

Too bad, I thought after chapter 4 it became promising, but after reaching chapter 9 I started to yawn, and by the time I killed the second boss - which was a serious waste of time running around shooting weak point over and over - I decided that I've seen all of this game. The final levels of Bioshock Infinity was more indulging for me to play through actually...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
It does get monotonous, I have taken a break after chapter eight. I think one could have said the same of the original, or any longer shooter really. Shooters have simple gameplay that gets boring if it goes on too long without new mechanics.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
I think the built in pacing also works into that: combat music plays, enemies start appearing. You kill the last one, rating screen comes up. It becomes monotonous, there is no room for surprise or new dynamics.

Combat encounter 1 -> Look for loot -> Combat encounter 2 -> Look for loot, kill one or two stragglers -> Miniboss combat ...

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I tried to replay the old Shadow Warrior, and guess what, it is not that good. And before you say that I don't like old school shooters, let me say that I can and do play Duke Nukem 3D anytime and have a lot of fun with it. SW is just overrated, maybe there is a reason why it is brought up rarely if we are making a Top FPSs list.

The new SW is a decent FPS which can be fun in small doses, even if it doesn't have the atmosphere and cool protagonist of the old game.

UserNamer

Cipher
It does get monotonous, I have taken a break after chapter eight. I think one could have said the same of the original, or any longer shooter really. Shooters have simple gameplay that gets boring if it goes on too long without new mechanics.

stop, please. Come on man, come on!

I tried to replay the old Shadow Warrior, and guess what, it is not that good. And before you say that I don't like old school shooters, let me say that I can and do play Duke Nukem 3D anytime and have a lot of fun with it. SW is just overrated, maybe there is a reason why it is brought up rarely if we are making a Top FPSs list.

The new SW is a decent FPS which can be fun in small doses, even if it doesn't have the atmosphere and cool protagonist of the old game.

what's the point of attacking the original to defend the new one? This is made more ridiculous by the fact that no one here claimed shadow warrior was perfect or one of the best fps of all time (I think). It's just that the remake didn't even bother recapturing a single element of what was interesting in the 1997 version adding to the pointlessness

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
what's the point of attacking the original to defend the new one? This is made more ridiculous by the fact that no one here claimed shadow warrior was perfect or one of the best fps of all time (I think). It's just that the remake didn't even bother recapturing a single element of what was interesting in the 1997 version adding to the pointlessness
I had the feeling that some people thinked that the new SW ruined the old one which was so amazing. Meh, maybe I just interpreted it in a wrong way. I'm just saying that neither the old nor the new one is a very good game, but both are enjoyable in their own way.

Lyric Suite

Converting to Islam
The funny thing is that it managed to remind me why I no longer fancy old school shooters. Running around for keys/statues is not so different than modern popamole.

:what:

No different that modern popamole. Except running around to find keys/whatever requires actual complex level design, which was a big part of what made classic FPS fun. But i guess retards will retard.

DeepOcean

Arcane
So, the consensus is that this game is just a reskinned version of Hard Reset, the developer don't have any hope in selling based on it's own quality so it had to steal the name of other game that have nothing in common with their game?

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
So, the consensus is that this game is just a reskinned version of Hard Reset, the developer don't have any hope in selling based on it's own quality so it had to steal the name of other game that have nothing in common with their game?
Stop making shit up! Nobody made a concensus like that!

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Stop making shit up! Nobody made a concensus like that!

I did. Because it's true.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom