Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

New Thief game is in the works, tied with a movie adaptation (Fake News)

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Thie5 is coming: https://www.polygon.com/2017/5/11/15624828/thief-5-sequel-thief-movie

Thief movie producers say a new Thief game is in the works

A new Thief game could be in the works, according to the website for the series’ upcoming Hollywood adaptation. A description for Thief, an “action epic” based on the Eidos Montreal franchise, on production company Straight Up Films’ page casually notes that the fifth entry in the series is in development.

“Widely considered to be one of the greatest games ever created, a fifth sequel is currently in development to be released in step with this motion picture adaptation,” Straight Up Films’ info on Thief reads.

Publisher Square Enix hasn’t announced anything regarding the Thief video game franchise in some time. The last game in the stealth series, simply called Thief, hit PCs and consoles back in 2014. It was intended as a reboot after a 10-year hiatus, but received a mixed reaction from critics.

Eidos Montreal reportedly said that another sequel would come based on how Thief was received just before the fourth game launched; the developer hasn’t spoken about a fifth Thief game since.

There’s also no release date yet for the feature film, although it appears that work on it is ongoing. Writers Adam Mason and Simon Boyes signed on in March 2016, but the film still lacks a director and cast. Among the film’s producers are Adrian Askarieh and Roy Lee, who were attached to a planned adaptation of Deus Ex: Human Revolution, another Eidos Montreal project. Askarieh also worked on a film based on Hitman, which hit theaters in 2007.

Also in the works is a new movie based on Tomb Raider, the Eidos franchise that’s had the most success in Hollywood. Oscar-winning actress Alicia Vikander is set to star in the film, due out in 2018.

When reached for comment, a representative for Square Enix said the company had nothing to announce “at this time.”

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Movie tie-in?!
Fucking Square. Tho, if I am not mistaken, movie is not yet in production, meaning that neither it nor the tie-in game might ever see the light of day.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
...turns out there isn't an emoticon on the RPG Codex that properly expresses the rage I'm feeling right now.

Especially since this means I'll have to make more room in my sig.

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Movie - assuming it ever enters production - would be based on that hapless reboot, plot-wise. Meaning that game would probably be a sequel to that, rather than a fresh start or return to original trilogy.

Icewater

Artisanal Shitposting™
Patron
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2
Who cares? Thief has practically been raped and murdered at this point. Digging it up to rape it again offends our monocled sensibilities but does not really impact us further as we can just not play it. Plus we've still got FMs and the Dark Mod, and I just got Prey my niggas.

Divinity: Original Sin
...turns out there isn't an emoticon on the RPG Codex that properly expresses the rage I'm feeling right now.

Especially since this means I'll have to make more room in my sig.

We'll all have to go through that whole ride that was Thiaf again. Only now it's going to be Thisf.

EDIT:

This is the worst news ever...

Somberlain

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Somebody take those French-Canadian hipsters in front of the firing squad and stop them from raping Thief's corpse with their micropenises.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
m9VG9X.jpg

Don Peste

Arcane
Fucking yes. Finally. Thief has always been my favourite Eidos Montreal franchise.

This time I think they need to revamp the character progression system. I would make 3 paths, like in Borderlands. Or maybe something closer to Wolfenstein New Order.

Also technology needs to advance a little. A true open world game needs motorized vehicles. I always thought Batman is very much like Garrett. What's the only thing missing? The Batcycle. To adapt it into Thief gameplay, it would need a button that temporary allows it to climb walls (a vehicle upgrade?). It would play like the Alien in Aliens vs. Predator.

Guns are also needed. Something steampunk, a mix between Wild West and Futuristic. I would add at least a hand crossbow (upgrade: steel bolts) and a taser (upgrade: long range taser).

You know they are going to add some romance options as well. They need it for the movie. This is the thing that worries me the most. Although I believe it won't really have much impact on the gameplay.

Anyway, thanks for the info.

Zenith

Arbiter
I want mah Stephen Russell. And swimmable water! :outrage:

This isn't even decline tbh, the franchise has already crossed the event horizon before this. Gotta let it go and stuff.

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
In Thief, story supports some kind of magic which was seen in Garret's eye but that didn't reflect in the gameplay at all.

Should Thief have some fantasy elements in gameplay as Dishonored ?

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom